November 21, 2000

This Date's Issues:   4645  4646

1. Vek: WATCH SELF INSTEAD OF AMERICA. Interview with Academician Georgy ARBATOV.
2. Reuters: OECD says Russian growth rate to double in 2000.
3. Vremya Novostei: BEAR'S RATING FALLS. (poll about parties)
4. Val Samonis: Ex-Soviet dinosaurs cannot be turned into birds that fly in the new economy of Russia.
5. Andrei Liakhov: RE: 4640-Lucas,Economist/Boris Fedorov.
6. Time: How Business Learned To Love Russian Missiles.
7. RFE/RL: Paul Goble, Compounding A Demographic Disaster.
8. AFP: Putin hints at drawn-out Russian offensive in Chechnya.
9. Reuters: Top Russian TV journalist says probe not political.
10. BBC Monitoring: Prospective governor Abramovich's plans for Chukotka viewed.
11. Interfax: Russian official warns over West's industrial, military espionage.
12. BBC Monitoring: Russian right-wing forces criticize the Kremlin on media policy, Chechnya. (Nemtsov)
13. Moscow Times: Yevgenia Borisova, Looting, Neglect Suck Chechnya Dry.
14. Moscow Times: Human Rights Official Attacks UES.
15. Financial Times (UK): Stefan Wagstyl, Moscow close to Caspian deal.
16. Reuters: Russia gripped by "spy mania" -naval eco warrior. (Pasko)]

Vek
No. 46
[translation from RIA Novosti for personal use only]
WATCH SELF INSTEAD OF AMERICA
By Honorary Director of US and Canada Institute,  Academician Georgy ARBATOV

     Question: Mr. Arbatov, your recent remark about the
de-intellectualization of foreign policy gave rise to wide
repercussions. What exactly did you mean?
     Answer: Confusion in international relations continued
after the termination of the Cold War and almost nothing
happened in the world, not a single new idea appeared. However,
the end of the Cold War requires a serious consideration and
actions toward the creation of a new system of international
relations. This has not happened.

     Question: Do you mean that neither side took appropriate
steps?
     Answer: Neither this side, nor the other side. Russian
President Vladimir Putin did initiate a reduction of the
nuclear threshold the other day. The United States put forward
similar proposals. Then an idea of the National Missile Defense
System turned up there. But this is not of crucial importance.
The main thing is that talks have been wrapped up. No one is
paying attention to this fact! Talks were underway for 30 years
and they brought about tangible results. The world became more
secure and stable. A limitation system for the most destructive
types of weapons was created. It even envisions the elimination
of some of them. But this was in the past. Nothing has occurred
lately.
     What does it depend on? The quality [caliber] of the
politicians that we currently see in the international arena
has gone down. I do not want to insult anybody by giving names.
However, I can make competent comparisons because I've been
watching big politics for over 30 years. Today's politicians
would not gain from the comparison. This is relevant to our
country, to Americans and West Europeans alike. There was a
time when even small countries - no offense meant - produced
such outstanding politicians as Olof Palme, Bruno Kreisky,
Pierre Trudeau, to name but a few. I am very concerned that
such people disappeared somewhere nowadays.
     We can certainly speak about "collective intelligence" of
political elites. I've been observing the elite in our country,
in the United States and in Europe. I am confident that their
level has deteriorated sharply too. Previously people emerged
in big politics after they had acquired a lot of experience and
knowledge along the way. It is currently commonplace that
"great politicians" turn up from nowhere. The level of our
domestic decision-makers has lowered. The same is true of our
journalists, diplomats and politicians. This seriously worries
me. Public and worldwide processes have become more complex,
manifold and unlike they were in the past. We are caught
unprepared for large-scale changes. We failed to form a new,
competent elite for these processes.

     Question: Do you think it will influence the development
of the world order?
     Answer: Of course it will! Neither oil, nor gasoline, nor
kerosene are the worst deficits today. What is lacking is the
brains.

     Question: You spoke of de-intellectualization in
connection with the extraordinary events in the United States
and the vote count problems. What issues surfaced in this
situation?
     Answer: This problem also involves both sides. Remember
all the guesswork about who would be better for our country,
Republicans or Democrats? I think that it would be better for
us if there is a clever president rather than a silly one, an
experienced president rather than an inexperienced one in the
USA. I would not specify a name to avoid a precarious situation.
Otherwise Russians might be blamed for backing someone.
     I cannot give a final analysis of all nuances in the
current situation. This will take time. However, one fact is
obvious: the liberal wing of the Republican Party has totally
disappeared. It was respectable and trustworthy, it served as a
shock-absorber and even a brake to "bad deeds." Similarly to
Democrats they used to have both a very conservative and a
liberal wings. Now the latter has disappeared. This gave rise
to a disproportion in the US politics. It incidentally reflects
the same tendency for de-intellectualization in domestic and
foreign politics. A lot of other things are linked to this
phenomenon.

     Question: Imagine that a new US president is announced
today. Will the current neurosis, the outcries and arguments
calm down instantly and things would proceed as usual? Or has
something happened in the United States that shook it so deeply
and consequences are to follow?
     Answer: I want to repeat that I do not attach much
importance to who is voted the next US president. Although
certain things depend on this, but not to the extent to make us
crazy. I pointed out on several occasions that a lot depends on
us. During the Cold War years we got used to blaming them for
everything and they shifted the blame on us. Dialogue and
interaction are needed here. The power of an example, if you
want! We could give an example by putting forward good,
constructive initiatives. They would have no other choice but
to respond to them or advance their own initiatives.  Dialogue
will begin and the negotiating process will be resumed. We will
certainly cooperate, negotiate and work on agreements.
Significant changes might follow this "election threshold."
However, we should watch ourselves instead of Americans. A lot
depends on this. Why is a "bad person" able to come to power in
our country? Only because the country is ruined economically
and remains in chaos. Why is it possible in the United States?
For the same reasons. Order must be restored in the country,
dialogue should be substantial and an end should be put to the
hateful "friend of such and such." Serious, long-term problems
that are vital and urgent for us and for humankind in general
should be discussed. There are a lot of people both in the
United States and in Russia who have not yet been appointed to
key posts but who understand this. I hope that our countries'
leaders would realize this too. Unfortunately, this has not
been the case yet.

     Question: The world is looking up to the United States in
surprise. Its system exemplified reliability, internal
flexibility, and capacity for overcoming crises...
     Answer: The US democracy, of course, won't break that
easily. We will not benefit if it breaks. I repeat: we need to
think about ourselves rather than about America. We need to
become a great power again and restore full-fledged authority.
I am not calling for the super-power status. Nobody needs these
obsolete imperial principles. We have to become a truly great
power, that is influential and makes an impact on the world's
development and generates ideas. The Cold War ended not because
of the US strength but because the Soviet Union's new leader
promoted new ideas in the international arena.

OECD says Russian growth rate to double in 2000

MOSCOW, Nov 20 (Reuters) - The OECD said on Monday that Russian economic
growth should more than double this year, though it will taper off slightly
in 2001 and 2002.

The Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, in its
bi-annual economic outlook, forecast real Russian GDP growth at 6.5 percent
this year and 4.0 percent in 2001 and 2002.

This compares with GDP growth in 1999 of 3.2 percent.

The OECD also forecast inflation this year of 22 percent falling to 15.0
percent in 2001 and 2002. Inflation in 1999 was 36.7 percent.

"Current positive trends in output, investment fiscal consolidation and
macroeconomic stability are sufficiently strong to carry into at least early
2001," the report said.

The report added that the pace of industrial growth is likely to slow because
of pressure for the real appreciation of the rouble and much-needed increases
in domestic energy and transportation prices.

"Medium term prospects continue to depend critically on key structural
reforms, including taxation, fiscal federalist relations corporate governance
and competition," it said.

"The current political and economic situation presents a major opportunity
for Russia to make progress in this area. The recently adopted comprehensive
economic programme of the government, and a number of recent initiatives to
amend or pass new laws are important first steps in this direction."

It said that high export growth prices and growth in export volumes, coupled
with only a modest recovery in import demand, have significantly increased
Russia's current account surplus.

The report forecasts a current account surplus of 18.0 percent of GDP this
year, and 9.0 percent next year. In 2002 it sees a current account surplus of
4.0 percent of GDP.

Vremya Novostei
November 20, 2000
[translation from RIA Novosti for personal use only]
BEAR'S RATING FALLS
Oleg SAVELYEV, VTsIOM press-service

     On October 27-30, 2000, the All-Russian Public Opinion
Research Center (VTsIOM) conducted a poll among 1,600 Russians
according to a selection representative of the adult population
of the Russian Federation. Answers to one of the questions are
given below as a percentage of the total number of respondents,
together with the data of a similar VTsIOM poll conducted in
late May this year. The statistical error of such polls is
within 4%.
     If elections to the Russian State Duma were held next
Sunday, for which of the following parties would you vote or
would you come to elections and vote "against all"? *
                                                                   - May     October
1  The communist party, led by G. Zyuganov    33        37
2  Unity, led by S. Shoigu                                 26        21
3  Union of Right Forces, led by B. Nemtsov
and I. Khakamada                                              9        11
4  Yabloko, led G. Yavlinsky                              8          9
5  LDPR, led by V. Zhirinovsky                          4          6
6  Women of Russia, led by A. Fedulova             4          4
7  Fatherland, led by Yu. Luzhkov                       6          3
8  The movement Russia, led by G. Seleznev        -           2
9  Agrarians, led by N. Kharitonov                       1          1
Other                                                                   1          1
Against all                                                            4          3
- * The answers are given only of those who intend to take part
in the voting and who have chosen a party or a bloc in the
decreasing order of the frequency of mentioning these parties.