June 17, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4371  4372  4373

1. Financial Times (UK): Putin makes waves at fragile Lake Baikal:
President's abolition of the state ecology body will put area's
ecosystem under more strain, writes John Thornhill.
2. gazeta.ru: Russia’s Web Will Not Go Chinese. (Interview with
deputy Media Minister Mikhail Seslavinsky)
3. Archie Brown: Re: 4371-Knight/Gusinsky. (re Gorbachev)
4. The Daily Telegraph (UK): James Sherr, What we know about Putin's plans.
5. CLEANING UP RUSSIA'S CAPITAL MARKETS: CSIS meeting in Washington
with Igor Kostikov, the newly appointed chairman of the Russian
Federal Securities Commission.
6. Wall Street Journal: Andrew Higgins, Russian Tycoon Urges Reform In Protecting Business Interests. (Berezovsky)
7. wps.ru: SOCIAL PROBLEMS OF MILITARY MAY AGGRAVATE PUBLIC SITUATION. Sociologists predict growth of opposition attitude in
Armed Forces if social benefits for servicemen are abolished.
8. APN: Outlook for our future with President Putin. Russia`s
leading political analysts discussing new authority`s philosophy
and make-up. (Iosif Diskin, Sergei Markov, Valery Khomyakov,
Maxim Dianov, Viktor Militaryov, Mikhail Denisov, Vladimir
Zharikhin)]

Financial Times (UK)
Putin makes waves at fragile Lake Baikal: President's abolition of the
state ecology body will put area's ecosystem under more strain, writes John
Thornhill

Lake Baikal in Russia is one of the natural wonders of the world. The
oldest and deepest lake on the planet contains one-fifth of the earth's
fresh water and boasts hundreds of unique species, such as the remarkable
translucent Golomyanki fish, which grub for food at depths of more than
1,600 metres.

Baikal is also a site of astonishing natural beauty, where there are as
many seals swimming in the crystal-clear lake as people living around its
edge. At this time of year, clouds of white butterflies float through the
lush, surrounding forests.

But environmentalists are concerned that the lake is under severe
ecological threat in spite of its natural resilience and remoteness. In
April, a group of local environmental groups wrote to Unesco asking the
international organisation to add Baikal to the list of endangered world
heritage sites.

Scientists have recently recorded a worrying build-up of poisonous dioxins
in the fat of the local seal population. Environmental groups chiefly blame
the pollution on the nearby Baikalsk cellulose plant, which still disgorges
partially treated effluents into the lake.

Environmentalists have been further alarmed by a presidential decree,
issued soon after President Vladimir Putin's inauguration in May,
liquidating the state committee for ecology and the Russian forestry
committee. The functions of these two agencies are being absorbed by the
Ministry of Natural Resources, which will be placed in the seemingly
contradictory position of both promoting Russia's economic development and
protecting the environment.

Vladimir Fialkov, the director of the Lake Baikal museum, says the
cost-cutting move threatens to repeat the sad experience of the Soviet era,
when Moscow ministries determined economic priorities with little regard
for local environmental concerns. This system allowed the Baikalsk plant to
be built in spite of the strenuous - and brave - opposition of scientists.
"Different people should perform different functions," Mr Fialkov says.
"The minister could be a wonderful man. But it is immoral to put such
pressure on any one individual by giving them such conflicting priorities."

Sergei Tsyplenkov, the executive director of Greenpeace Russia, believes
that in abolishing the ecology committee, the government has bowed to
pressure from big corporations, which have argued that a third-world
economy cannot afford first-world standards of environmental protection.

But he believes the government is also adopting an increasingly intolerant
attitude towards interference by outside environmental organisations,
threatening to crush one of the main buttresses of Russia's fragile civil
society. "From my point of view it is hardly likely there will be illegal
actions against NGOs (non-governmental organisations). But Russian
legislation is so unclear that there are many perfectly legal ways to put
pressure on us," he says.

At Lake Baikal, environmentalists have been urging the local government to
shut the Baikalsk plant and provide alternative employment for the 17,000
people who live in the local town. "You cannot compromise with Baikal
because it is such a sensitive and vulnerable eco-system. Baikal must come
first," argues Jennie Sutton, an Englishwoman who helped found the Baikal
Environmental Wave. But the local administration, which originally intended
to shut the plant in 1993, is still dependent on it to generate tax
revenues. It has even softened fines, imposed by the state ecology
committee before its abolition, to stave off the plant's bankruptcy.

Georgy Kuznetsov, who writes about ecological issues for the Eastern
Siberian Truth newspaper, says that in the real world compromises are
inevitable between economic growth, social welfare and environmental
protection. But this could result in Lake Baikal gradually losing its
unique ecosystem.

"It is in the genetic composition of Siberians to believe that nature is
enormous and we cannot harm it no matter what we consume. Nothing has
happened to Baikal for 25m years and it is very hard to believe that
something will happen now. But such is the pace of progress that this is no
longer true.

"The real threat to Baikal is not the oligarchs, or Putin, or the directors
of cellulose plants, but the consciousness of the people and their world
view. Unless we change that we will find it hard to preserve anything."

gazeta.ru
June 16, 2000
Russia’s Web Will Not Go Chinese
By Elena Ogorodnikova

In an interview with Gazet.Ru the deputy Media Minister Mikhail Seslavinsky
said the Russian Internet would develop with minimum restrictions and that
the widespread rumors about allegedly compulsory registration of web sites,
including home pages, have nothing to do with reality. The deputy minister
also shared his views concerning the future perspectives for Ru.Net.

Recently the question of the Russian government imposing regulations on the
Internet has been widely discussed. In your opinion, how will the Internet in
Russia develop? Will it follow the so-called, Chinese way, i.e. for internal
use only, or will it be the American way whereby government control is
strictly limited?

I consider the problems that exist in our country concerning Internet
development practically do not differ from those existing in all other
countries. China is a special issue and, in my opinion, is no model for
Russia. Problems emerge due to the fact that the Internet constitutes a
unique parallel world, spread throughout all the countries of the world, and
any country that tries to introduce restrictions on the flow of illicit
information, such as the promotion of drugs, gun sale, extremism, terrorism,
child pornography, will not succeed in enforcing those restrictions.

When a server is located in Belgium, a domain name is registered in the USA,
and the information is intended for a Russian audience, the possibilities for
restricting that information are inefficient and very limited. Besides, the
Internet is attractive for users namely because it provides absolute freedom:
people themselves choose what they are interested in. It is impossible to
thrust data upon anyone in that space. Therefore, I think, the Internet in
Russia will develop with minimum restrictions. However, reasonable
restrictions are still necessary.

What about the registration of media outlets on the net?

Those of them, which claim a stake in that business and which strive to exert
influence upon an audience and wish to be treated with respect register
voluntarily. As a matter of fact we have not set ourselves the task to get
all absolutely all Internet editions to register. We realize it is
impracticable. The reader realizes that if, for instance, Kompromat.ru works
along the lines of a traditional media outlet, one should not trust 100% of
the information published on their site. Registered Internet editions enjoy
all the rights of the ‘traditional’ mass media.

Have you encountered situations when someone wanted to call Internet media to
account?

Yes, and not just once. And the Central Election Committee’s widely
publicized demands were not the only case. I will not give names, but a
number of governors have been very unhappy about the methods and nature of
the coverage of their activities by certain Internet publications. Things
like that emerge now and then and every once in a while, someone requests us
to issue an order. The answer is easy: it is not a situation where order can
be imposed.

The Council of Europe is taking the problem of Internet control very
seriously. The issue of forming of web-police has even been discussed…

If it is a consolidated effort, I think it makes sense.

Do you think that web-editions are in a somewhat privileged position compared
with other media?

Of course. But the advantages are to do with the particularities of the
virtual world.

What do you think the future holds for web mass media?

I think it is very promising. One may attract investments from all areas of
business because now there are no longer any influential editions, companies,
legal institutions which don’t have their own Internet sites.

There is talk that the laws on the mass media might be amended…

No, I do not think this will happen in the near future. As for Internet
editions, a special enactment should be adopted concerning those. Until then,
the current laws on mass media are applicable to all registered web
additions.