June 17, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4371  4372  4373

Prior warning for careful readers: A week from now I will
arrive in Moscow and will be there until July 3. There may be a
JRL vacation during this period.
1. Reuters: Russian media mogul freed amid growing outcry.
2. BBC MONITORING: TEXT OF STATEMENT BY TYCOON GUSINSKIY WARNING OF MOVE TO "TOTALITARIAN REGIME"
3. MOSCOW TRIBUNE: Stanislav Menshikov, WILL THE GUSINSKY AFFAIR HURT INVESTOR CONFIDENCE? Foreign Businesses are Not Exactly in
Love with the Oligarchs.
4. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Six Little-known Facts From the Life of the Oligarch.
5. Kommersant: “Media-MOST” Doesn’t Own NTV Anymore.
6. BBC MONITORING: RUSSIAN MEDIA MINISTER SAYS OLIGARCH'S ARREST MIGHT COMPLICATE MEDIA RELATIONS. (Lesin)
7. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Lyudmila ROMANOVA, PRESIDENTIAL ADMINISTRATION DEFINES PRIORITIES.
8. Carnegie Moscow Center's New Book: Multi-Dimensional Borders of Central Asia.
9. Novaya gazeta: Boris Kagarlitsky, The Decay of Yabloko and the Void on the Democratic Left.
10. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Amy Knight, Crime and punishment.
The arrest of Russian media tycoon Vladimir Gusinsky has sent shock
waves around the world.
11. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: CHUBAIS FACES INVESTOR REVOLT AT UES.
12. AFP: Do Not Fear New Russia Says Putin.]

Russian media mogul freed amid growing outcry
By Oleg Shchedrov

MOSCOW, June 16 (Reuters) - Media magnate Vladimir Gusinsky, charged with
embezzlement, was unexpectedly freed on Friday, one day after President
Vladimir Putin said prosecutors acted too harshly by jailing the owner of
Russia's only independent media empire.

``I want to express my deep gratitude to all people who supported me,'' a
relaxed Gusinsky said, shown by his NTV television station standing outside
his Moscow office. ``I am not naming these people because the list is too
long.''

Dmitry Ostalsky, spokesman for Gusinsky's Media-MOST holding company, said
the authorities of Moscow's overcrowded Butyrskaya jail received orders to
free him at 10 p.m. (1800 GMT).

``He was just told to pack up and go,'' Ostalsky said by telephone. Gusinsky
had to promise not to leave Moscow.

Earlier on Friday Gusinsky, who had been detained on Tuesday, was formally
charged with embezzlement. Investigators then refused to free him and said
they were unlikely to reconsider their decision before next Monday.

Interfax news agency quoted a statement from the Prosecutor General's office
as saying that investigators had taken into account the fact that Gusinsky
had been awarded a Russian order.

This fact had been known from the day of his arrest.

Gusinsky's detention stirred fears at home and abroad of a clampdown on press
freedoms. Many political and business leaders in Russia bitterly protested
against the arrest.

Leaders of Spain and Germany, where Putin spent most of this week, also asked
for details of the scandal over the media empire, whose television network,
radio, newspapers and magazines are known as bitter critics of the current
Kremlin administration.

PUTIN SAID JAILING GUSINSKY WAS TOO MUCH

Putin said on Thursday he believed the arrest of Gusinsky was excessive, but
denied suggestions that it was the start of a general crackdown on the free
press.

On Friday, at a joint news conference with German Chancellor Gerhard
Schroeder, Putin repeated his view. ``I don't think the prosecutor should
have taken a step like arrest,'' he said.

Gusinsky's chief lawyer, Genri Reznik, suggested that his release late at
night aimed to tone down public reaction.

``This has been done to avoid public celebration of his release,'' RIA news
agency quoted Reznik as saying.

Gusinsky is charged with embezzlement in the course of the acquisition of a
television company in the second city of St Petersburg, a charge punishable
by up to 10 years in prison if proved.

His lawyers have denounced the charges as groundless and said they would
fight to have even travel restrictions lifted from their boss.

In theory, Gusinsky, who has been awarded a Soviet order ``Friendship of
People'' could benefit from the latest amnesty announced last month. But he
is unlikely to use this opportunity because it could leave an impression he
admitted the charges.

GUSINSKY'S JAILING CAUSED KREMLIN HEADACHE

Gusinsky's detention has already caused a considerable headache for Moscow.

U.S. Jewish leaders and 52 U.S. Congressmen appealed to Putin on Thursday to
free Gusinsky, saying the case could harm Russia's efforts to win more
foreign investment.

The head of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the largest
investor in the private sector in East Europe and the former Soviet Union,
said the move raised the question of whether Russia had its priorities right.

``Why is this a concern? Because the arrest of the media-company chief
appears discriminatory. We don't know if Mr Gusinsky is guilty or innocent.
But we know all too well that a myriad of crimes -- notably in the
financial-services arena -- are not being prosecuted,'' its Acting Vice
President Charles Frank said in an opinion piece sent to the Wall Street
Journal.

Eight U.S. senior executives from the U.S.-Russia Business Council, founded
by former U.S. Ambassador to Russia Robert Strauss, put off a visit to Moscow
on June 20-21 because the arrest had raised ``serious political and legal
questions.''

BBC MONITORING
TEXT OF STATEMENT BY TYCOON GUSINSKIY WARNING OF MOVE TO "TOTALITARIAN REGIME"
Source: `Segodnya', Moscow, in Russian 16 Jun 00

Text of statement by Media-Most chief Vladimir Gusinskiy from Butyrka prison
entitled "Regime begins move towards totalitarianism", dated 15th June 2000
and published in the Russian newspaper 'Segodnya' on the 16th

It is the third day that I have been illegally deprived of my liberty. The
third day that none of those who staged this squalid show have been able to
tell me clearly not only in legally defensible, but also in grammatically
correct or even articulate language the regime's charges against me! During
the first official interrogation I witnessed the perfectly incredible scene
of two investigators spending almost half an hour interrupting one another
and arguing in a vain attempt to produce a form of words for their suspicions
against me. I could not describe their flimsy case in my deposition as
anything but legally and semantically absurd, evidence of the investigation's
complete lack of professionalism and unfamiliarity with fundamental Russian
legislation.

However, it is very easy to explain all the difficulties experienced by the
Prosecutor's Office and those who provide them with informational and
political cover - and they, regrettably, include former staff and journalists
who worked previously at Media-Most. This is a political intrigue organized
by high-ranking representatives of the "regime" for whom freedom of speech
poses a danger and an obstacle to the implementation of their plans to build
what they see as the "new Russia" but is in actual fact a backwards move to
the totalitarian past - in the past there was also a "strong regime" with
Gulags and "dictatorship of law" with appointed judges who were "overseen" by
the CPSU [Communist Party of the Soviet Union] Central Committee. In
addition, freedom of speech - freedom to know the truth about many
representatives of the current regime - means a personal threat, a threat to
their power, their uncontrolled income, their opportunity to commit arbitrary
acts in the name of and under the protection of the state machine.

It cannot be denied that in this period I have seen for myself that human
malice, hypocrisy and cynicism know no bounds. Anyone who has been a coward
or a traitor, will easily understand that I am referring to them. So, there
is no point in naming names. They are, regrettably, well known and in the
public domain.

Nonetheless, that is not why I am sending you this note. I am profoundly
grateful to those who have backed me now in a situation where every word of
sympathy or support for me and my colleagues could be viewed as a challenge
to the regime - a regime which has begun the move towards the creation of a
totalitarian regime, whether it realizes it or not. I will not hide the fact
that there have been far more courageous people prepared openly to voice
their opinion than I expected. It is just a shame that the need for this
unity and mutual support has arisen in such dramatic circumstances.

[Signed] Vladimir Gusinskiy, Butyrka prison, 15th June 2000