August 4, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3420 3421   • 3422

1. Itar-Tass: Yabloko Sour about Newly Forged Electoral Bloc.
2. Alastair Wanklyn: Otvetny udar --- request for help. (New words)
3. Financial Times (UK): John Thornhill, Consumers growing patriotism.
4. Murray FESHBACH: A Comment on Recent Demographic Issues and a
Forbidding Forecast.

5. Ben Aris: business confidence grows.
6. Presentation by Prime Minister Sergei V. Stepashin at a dinner hosted
by The U.S.-Russia Business Council and The American Chamber of Commerce
in Russia.

7. Reuters: Russian economy picking up, good news abounds.
8. Reuters: Russia's G7 role ``grotesque'' - Deutsche analyst.
9. Jack Schmidt: Re: 3421 Liakhov & Investment in Russia.]

Yabloko Sour about Newly Forged Electoral Bloc.

MOSCOW, August 4 (Itar-Tass) - One of leaders of the parliamentary faction
Yabloko, Sergei Ivanenko, said the merger announced on Wednesday by All
Russia and Otechestvo movements had produced a "party of power".

He said in a comment that Yabloko was "fairly reserved" about the decision of
the two movements' leaders to make an electoral bloc to run its candidates
for the State Duma, or the lower house of parliament, in December.

"It is doubtless that this is a new party of power, and it will be backed up,
as I believe, only by voters who are interested in the policy that is being
followed by power today," Ivanenko said.

Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov, who is the leader of Otechestvo, or Fatherland,
made clear at a press conference on Wednesday that his movement's alliance
with Yabloko is unlikely.

He cited Yabloko's decision to run for the Duma independently. "I think one
should respect this wish of the political organisation that is not the worst
on the country," Luzhkov said.