January 22, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3025

My grateful thanks for the messages of support and condolence over
the death of my mother. I will be responding directly.
1. Reuters: Gary Hart: U.S. Erred in Russia Policy.
2. AP: Russia Objects to US Treaty Change. (ABM).
3. AFP: Russian journalist on trial for exposing military pollution.
(Pasko).

4. Ray Smith: Herspring's Question. (Re political culture).
5. Times Higher Education Supplement: Nick Holdsworth, Sanctions. (US and
Iran).

6. Reuters: Gorbachev Says Yeltsin Should Resign.
7. Moscow Tribune: John Helmer, DeBAKEY TO THE RESCUE.
8. Rogov at Carnegie.
9. Nicolai Petro: Quick note on Novgorod paper.
10. Susie Baker: Re: 3019-Landsberg/Russian Want to Leave.
11. Beverly Nickles: unique language textbook available.
12. Nick Holdsworth: Re: Police problems, JRL 3024.
13. Mark Jones: Fwd: L-I: Workers movement in Russia.
14. Jerry Hough: Debate about culture.
15. New York Times editorial: Reducing Russian Dangers.
16. Job posting for Eurasia Foundation.
17. RFE/RL: Paul Goble, The Internationalization Of Kaliningrad.
18. Moscow Times: Kirill Koriukin, Lebed's Power Tested in Mine Dispute.
19. Electronic Telegraph (UK): Marcus Warren, Yeltsin's daughter in
bugging scandal.]

********

Gary Hart: U.S. Erred in Russia Policy

MOSCOW, Jan. 21, 1999 -- (Reuters) Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart said on
Wednesday the United States had bungled its policy towards Russia by
directing support through the International Monetary Fund instead of
managing assistance itself.
It is the sort of topic the ex-senator likes to talk about these days,
now that he is out of the political limelight.
"It was a vast mistake to, in effect, turn over the Russian account to
the IMF," said Hart, a senator for 12 years to 1987 and in Moscow as part
of a Congress-sponsored mission.
"The IMF is a bank. The IMF with all due respect has no political
judgment. Many of these issues are political issues."
"To say to Russia we'll put $20 billion or $40 billion in the bank that
you can have to pay your soldiers, pay your teachers, pay your nurses when
you shut factories down and put hundreds of thousands or millions of people
out of work is nonsense," he said.
Hart said he instead favored a comprehensive plan of advice and
structural reform for reviving Russia, much like the U.S. Marshall Plan
which helped rebuild Western Europe after World War II.
"In the space of 15 minutes I could outline a Marshall Plan that would
have cost us less than funneling our aid through the IMF, which I think has
botched it," he said, adding that he had written U.S. President Bill
Clinton on the topic.
Hart, an arms control expert who has written a book about military
reform, was in Moscow as a part of a 16-member National Security Study
Group which the U.S. Congress has asked to come up with a new strategy for
the 21st century.
The former Democrat senator from Colorado now practices law in his home
state. He said he does not much miss politics and declines to talk about
either the sex scandal that ended his high-flying presidential bid or the
similar story currently playing out in Washington.
But he is happy to talk about the effort to come up with a new national
security doctrine, which he called the most comprehensive in half a century
since an effort in the mid-1940s established the containment policies of
the Cold War.
The study is due to be ready when the next U.S. president takes office in
2001.
"The only part of (politics) I miss is the chance to be engaged in the
rare historic debates," said Hart, 62. "That was such a privilege for 12
years to do that one can't help but miss it."
"On the other hand when I did run for the Senate originally I had in mind
not to make politics a career. I thought then and I think now that it's a
danger to seek a career in politics because then you begin to calculate
your decisions on your own survival, not what's best for the country."

********

Russia Objects to US Treaty Change
By Anna Dolgov
January 21, 1999

MOSCOW (AP) -- U.S. plans to develop a national system for defense against
attack by long-range missiles threaten Russia's security, a top Defense
Ministry official said Thursday.
The United States, fearing a possible attack by a hostile nation like
North Korea or Iraq, wants to amend the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty
so it can start building a missile-defense system.
U.S. Defense Secretary William Cohen said Wednesday that if Russia
rejects proposed U.S. amendments to the Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty, then
Washington will withdraw from the pact and proceed with deployment anyway.
Russia's Defense Ministry dismissed Cohen's explanation of U.S. fears of
attack by a rogue state.
``Any military expert understands that these states have not, and, in the
near future, will not have guaranteed means of delivering weapons to U.S.
territory,'' said Col. Gen. Leonid Ivashov, chief of international
cooperation at the ministry.
Any changes to the ABM treaty would be regarded ``as a threat to Russian
security interests,'' Ivashov was quoted as saying by the Interfax news
agency.
In a related development, former security chief Alexander Lebed also
spoke out against Washington, saying that Moscow must not ratify the
long-delayed START II treaty for the reduction of nuclear arms because it
would irreparably weaken Russia, according to an article published Thursday.
Lebed, a provincial governor and a top presidential aspirant, argued that
parliament's ratification of the 1993 treaty would deprive Russia of its
most powerful missiles and force it to build expensive new weapons to keep
up with the United States.
Russian President Boris Yeltsin was still considering the American
amendments to the ABM treaty.
A U.S. missile defense would not be deployed until 2005 -- assuming that
President Clinton determines that such a system is technically feasible,
Cohen said.
Russia, and before it the Soviet Union, has long opposed a U.S. national
missile defense. The Cold War-era ABM treaty was meant to leave both
superpowers vulnerable to attack and thus limit the chance that either
would attempt a decisive first strike.
Ivashov said ``attempts to bypass the ABM treaty would upset strategic
stability'' in the world and may jeopardize long-delayed ratification of
the START II arms reduction treaty by the Russian parliament.
Lebed, for his part, directly condemned START II, saying its
implementation would be ``an irreparable blow'' to Russia's security.
``Its ratification must be put off the agenda,'' said Lebed, governor of
the vast Krasnoyarsk province in Central Siberia, in an article in the
daily Nezavisimaya Gazeta.
As governor, Lebed also has a seat in the Russian parliament's upper
house, which would have to approve the START II treaty for it to go into
effect.
The U.S. Senate approved START II in 1996, but the Russian parliament has
delayed ratification, citing arguments similar to Lebed's.
Russia's cash-strapped government has lately supported ratification,
saying that by 2007 -- the START II deadline for halving Russian and
American arsenals to 3,000-3,500 warheads each -- Russia will have to scrap
its aging nuclear missiles anyway.
Lebed countered that it would be cheaper to modernize the old missiles
than to continue producing more modern strategic bombers and nuclear
submarines.
Russian Defense Minister Igor Sergeyev rejected Lebed's call and
reiterated his support for START II on Thursday.
``Russia needs this treaty and will benefit from it,'' Sergeyev said,
according to the Interfax news agency. ``It's in line with our national
interests.''

********

Russian journalist on trial for exposing military pollution

VLADIVOSTOK, Russia, Jan 21 (AFP) - A Russian military journalist went on
trial before a military court in this far eastern port city Thursday
charged with high treason for his reporting on radioactive pollution caused
by Russia's Pacific Fleet, Interfax said.
The closed-door proceedings against Grigory Pasko incited a clamour of
protest from human rights groups denouncing the trial as a cover-up of
heinous ecological crimes.
No details of the first day of the hearing were divulged, agencies
reported, but Pasko's lawyers insisted that their client was a victim of
twisted justice.
"There is no evidence that Pasko is guilty of the crime he is being
charged with," lawyer Oleg Kotlyarov was quoted by Interfax as saying.
"The investigation was biased. The charges are based on assumptions by
military counter-intelligence and the prosecutor's office of the Pacific
Fleet."
Pasko, 34, was arrested on November 20, 1997 and accused by the KGB
successor body the Federal Security Service (FSB) of "high treason in the
form of espionage," without indicating the country which was benefitting
from his alleged subterfuge.
The journalist had previously collaborated with the Japanese television
channel NHK and the daily Asahi on the dumping of radioactive and chemical
waste in the Sea of Japan.
For 20 months Pasko has been held in solitary detention in a Vladivostok
prison. In a recent letter he said he had been suffering from headaches and
swollen limbs and that he feared catching tuberculosis.
The naval tribunal in charge of the inquiry has refused to place him
under house arrest, and he was not allowed to see his wife Galina until he
had been in prison for a year.
The case has chilling echoes of a probe into Alexander Nikitin, a former
naval officer accused of divulging state secrets to a Norwegian
environmental group concerning the dangers posed by Russian nuclear
submarines.
International organisation Reporters sans Frontieres (Journalists Without
Borders) urged the authorities on Wednesday to free Pasko immediately,
arguing that his activities are protected by article 10 of the European
Convention of Human Rights on the right to freedom of expression.
The group also argues that information "revealed" by Pasko were mostly
public knowledge. Human rights observers meanwhile are demanding that the
trial be opened to the public.

********