January 21, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3024

1. Moscow Times: Melissa Akin, Duma Skeptical of Funding Proposal.
2. Reuters: Russia Stays Afloat, Yeltsin Escapes Surgery.
3. Austin Forsyth: The Primacy of Culture (Re: Vail (3019) on Will (3015).
4. Nicolai Petro: Novgorod: A Russian Success Story.
5. Dale Herspring: A Modest Question. (Re democracy).
6. Victor Kalashnikov: 'Blin Lincton.' (Re Kukly).
7. Ivilina Dimova: Hallmark Entertainment Networks.
8. Reuters: RUSSIAN CRISIS HAS HELPED ENVIRONMENT. (Interview with Viktor
Danilov-Danilyan).

9. Reuters: New Russian Envoy to Washington Takes up Post.
10. Globe and Mail (Canada): Geoffrey York, They battle the bottle and work
for walrus. Siberia's beleaguered Inuit rely on old skills to help them
survive.

U.S. cousins wonder what's on TV tonight.
11. Moscow Times: Andrei Piontkovsky, SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Piqued 'Elite'
Wastes Chance In Iran Clash.

12. Anonymous: Experience with police in St. Petersburg.
13. Miriam Lanskoy, Re Will/Waring.]

Moscow Times
January 21, 1999
Duma Skeptical on Funding Proposal
By Melissa Akin
Staff Writer

The Russian government expressed interest in U.S. President Bill
Clinton's offer of an extra $1.7 billion for disarmament projects, but the
State Duma cast a suspicious eye Wednesday and again condemned Washington's
policy on the Balkans and Middle East.
In Tuesday's State of the Union address, a traditional speech to
Congress at the beginning of a session to lay out presidential legislative
priorities, Clinton urged that financing for Russian disarmament
initiatives be raised from $2.5 billion to $4.2 billion over the next five
years.
First Deputy Prime Minister Yury Maslyukov, who has been pushing his
former colleagues in the State Duma to ratify the START II disarmament
agreement, called the proposals "very much timely," Maslyukov's spokesman
Anton Surikov said.
Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, speaking at a news conference with
visiting Israeli Foreign Minister Ariel Sharon, said his ministry would "be
ready to study such proposals attentively."
"Pre-existing corresponding programs, including the so-called Nunn-Lugar
programs, have been successfully implemented for quite a lengthy period of
time and have proved their usefulness," Ivanov added.
The money would likely come under Nunn-Lugar, which partly finances
destruction of nuclear weapons under the earlier START I agreement, and
particularly subsequent verification.
But Duma sources said the money wasn't likely to grease the wheels for
ratification of the START II agreement, which is a top priority of the
Clinton administration's Russia policy.
With Secretary of State Madeleine Albright due in Moscow for talks with
Ivanov next week, resentment of Washington is steadily growing in the Duma,
parliament's lower house.
Deputies' hackles have been raised by the announcement of sanctions
against more Russian institutes suspected of transferring missile
technology to Iran - despite complaints from Russian authorities that no
evidence to that effect has been offered - as well as by NATO threats of
airstrikes against Yugoslavia, a Russian ally.
The slip in relations began in December, when the Duma had been just
hours away from ratifying the long-awaited START II treaty, which slashes
each country's warhead stockpiles and missile numbers, before the U.S.
announced it had bombed Iraq.
Russia wasn't warned, the UN Security Council wasn't consulted and the
Duma was so furious that it refused to consider the document.
Aides to key pro-START II deputies say the treaty will likely remain
untouchable for at least the next several months, despite promises from
Maslyukov, who is highly influential in the Duma, that he would renew his
efforts to get it passed.
Deputies' aides said they were looking into Clinton's address, but one
said he suspected any new funds might come with conditions that would be
difficult for Russia to accept, or that the money would go to U.S.
contractors rather than cash-poor Russian institutions themselves.
The Duma on Wednesday voted to condemn U.S. sanctions against three
Russian institutes, announced last week as part of Washington's fight to
cut off Iran from new weapons technology. The statement was authored by
Yabloko Deputy Vladimir Lukin, a former Russian ambassador to Washington.

Russia Stays Afloat, Yeltsin Escapes Surgery
January 20, 1999

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia avoided bankruptcy and Boris Yeltsin escaped the
need for surgery Wednesday but neither the country nor its leader was yet
out of the woods.
The London Club -- a group of commercial banks to which Russia owes $32
billion -- voted not to call in its loans even though Moscow missed a
payment of $362 million on Dec. 2.
Such a move -- all but tantamount to declaring the country bankrupt --
could have opened up Russia to legal action, including the possible seizure
of some of its assets abroad.
``I can confirm that creditors in fact decided not to demand the
immediate payment of London Club debt,'' said an official at
Vneshekonombank, Russia's main foreign debt paying agent.
Yeltsin also won a reprieve, his from doctors at Moscow's Central
Clinical Hospital where he has been undergoing treatment for a severe
stomach ulcer since Sunday. They said his condition was improving and that
he would not need surgery.
Tests on the 67-year-old president using a fiber-optic probe passed down
his throat showed the ulcer in his stomach had stopped bleeding, swelling
had reduced and the patient was recovering, Yeltsin's press secretary
Dmitry Yakushkin said.
He said the president was up and moving about in his hospital room and
was working at a desk.
Yeltsin has already had to cancel a trip to Paris next week that the
Kremlin had hoped would mark a political comeback. He has spent months
marginalized by ill health while his ministers have wrestled with a
profound financial crisis since August, when the last government halted
payments on some debts.
The prognosis for talks with a visiting International Monetary Fund
delegation was also mixed at best. The Fund froze credits to Moscow after
the crisis broke five months ago.
The government's economy supremo, moderate communist First Deputy Prime
Minister Yuri Maslyukov, told a newspaper the mere fact that an IMF mission
was visiting Moscow was a sign the Fund had not abandoned Russia to its fate.
If Russia does not receive some sort of deal from the Fund to help it
wriggle out of $17.2 billion in debt payments due in 1999, the ruinous
declaration of default may be all but certain.
Russia plans to finance only about $4.5 billion of that tab itself and
must persuade the IMF and other creditors -- the London Club included -- to
help keep it afloat.
But IMF officials said last week the government's draft budget was both
unrealistic in its optimistic expectations and timid in its attempts to
sort out the country's finances.
It said Moscow's plan to cut value added tax -- one of its few reliable
sources of income -- was reckless.
Maslyukov acknowledged that the Fund and the government remain far apart
but he defended the budget's plans.
``The IMF insists on tripling the primary surplus of the budget, which
can be done only by completely dismantling the budget and emaciating the
social sector,'' Maslyukov said.
Russian industry clearly needs stimulating. Output fell 5.2 percent
between January and December 1998, the State Statistics Committee said.
Finance Minister Mikhail Zadornov told a news conference the Russian
Federation would pay its debts in the first quarter and hoped to achieve
some kind of agreement, though not a new aid package, from the IMF mission.
``We have compiled a clear plan for revenues for the first quarter,
regardless of talks with the IMF,'' Zadornov said.
But he added: ``We think it is possible to have a certain agreement by
the start of February.''
Yeltsin's illness has prompted new calls for him to resign or hand more
powers to Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, who already oversees Russia's
day-to-day affairs.
The prime minister kept to his schedule despite Yeltsin's ailment.
Wednesday he was in Kazakhstan for the inauguration of President Nursultan
Nazarbayev.