August 22, 1997
This Date's Issues: 1137 1138

djohnson@cdi.org

[Note from David Johnson:
1. RIA Novosti: ALEXANDER SOLZHENITSYN LASHES OUT AT DUAL
STANDARDS OF WESTERN DIPLOMACY.

2. Lewis Siegelbaum: Re 1135- McFaul/Trade Unions.
3. Gary Kern: The Russian idea: inferiority is superior.
4. Henrietta Thomas: Re 1135-Danzer/Russian Idea.
5. Timothy Blauvelt: Spheres of Influence.
6. Stephen Shenfield): book query.
7. Aaron Tovish: Re Zavtra's Den.
8. Laura Belin: correction on Berezovskii.
9. Rabochaya Tribuna: Gennady Yuryev, MOTHERS AND DAUGHTERS.
10. The Independent (UK): Christopher Bellamy, Yeltsin joins
trend of tighter arms exports.

11. MSNBC: Jeff Thein, In 1997, what's a Cossack to do?
Legendary horsemen demand modern recognition.

12. Asia Times: Massive swindle to be revealed. (and more).
13. IEWS Russian Regional Report: Vladimir Shlapentokh,
CENTER-PERIPHERY RELATIONS: A POWERFUL FACTOR IN SHAPING RUSSIA'S
FUTURE.

14. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: BILL RICHARDSON AS A FRIENDLY FIGURE FOR
RUSSIAN DIPLOMACY.

15. ARGUMENTY I FAKTY: Poll Shows Majority of Russian Regret
Collapse of USSR.

16. AP: Yeltsin on Mir: Russians Don't Care.]

ALEXANDER SOLZHENITSYN LASHES OUT AT DUAL STANDARDS OF
WESTERN DIPLOMACY
BRUSSELS, AUGUST 22 /FROM RIA NOVOSTI CORRESPONDENT VICTOR
ONUCHKO/ -- Alexander Solzhenitsyn thinks that the West's policy
regarding the ex-USSR territories is "hypocritical". The West
issues "non-unselfish recommendations" for relations between
countries of the CIS and ignores "its own more than
contradictory approaches to the Kurd and Northern Ireland
issues", he writes in a Belgian weekly, published in Brussels
today.
Solzhenitsyn censures the expansion of NATO which, together
with the West's economic enslavement of Russia, is targeted at
"full neutralisation" of Russia. He also censures the policy of
the Russian leadership, which he finds wavering towards the CIS
countries. He thinks the steps to preserve Chechnya as part of
Russia and Moscow's stance with regard to the Southern Kuriles
are doomed.
As to the situation in the former Yugoslavia, its tragedy
is due to not only "the communist clique of Josip Tito" but also
the "lofty campaign" carried out by heads of the leading Western
countries. He thinks controversial and hypocritical the policy
of the Western powers, above all the United States, during the
Yugoslav conflict and also biassed towards the Serbs.
Solzhenitsyn writes of the "dubious" principles of justice of
the Haague International Tribunal and calls its work tuned to
the Western scenario for the ex-Yugoslavia.