July 31, 1997
This Date's Issues: 1103 1104 1105  1106

djohnson@cdi.org

[Note from David Johnson:
A contest: who has the best idea for how to spend one's time
while JRL is on vacation next week. Prize: Two weeks vacation
from JRL?
1. Harley Balzer (Georgetown): question re Svyazinvest deal.
2. Baltimore Sun: Aim of U.S. nuclear weapons is to force
Russian disarmament. (DJ: Who is the author of this most
interesting Knight-Ridder story?)

3. Wallace Kaufman: Central Asian Water.
4. Wendell Solomons: Re How to Get Rid of Lenin.
5. Max Smetannikov (Bloomberg): Re 1101-Communist Party of the
Russian Federation...

6. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Blueprint for Enterprise-Level Reform
Outlined.

7. Interfax: Russia's Most Group Denies Nemtsov Charge on
Svyazinvest.

8. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: SELEZNEV CRITICIZES SVYAZINVEST DEAL, DEFENDS
DUMA and NEXT BATTLE IN BANK WAR TO BE FOUGHT OVER NORILSK NICKEL
and LEBED SLAMS MILITARY REFORM PLANS...ATTACKS BEREZOVSKII.

9. Vek: Yeltsin Cares. An interview with Georgy SATAROV, a political
adviser to the President. (DJ: This reminds me that very occasionally
it is suggested to me that JRL deliberately avoids carrying "pro-reform"
items. I don't believe this is true but I certainly encourage anyone
to pass on to me materials they think have been neglected. I have tried
to right the balance--in my perspective.)

10. New York Times: Thomas Friedman, Clinton's Folly.
11. RIA Novosti: STATE COMMITTEE FOR YOUTH AFFAIRS WILL
HOLD COUNTRYWIDE COMPETITION FOR THE BEST PROGRAM TO DEVELOP
A CIVIC SPIRIT AND PATRIOTISM IN YOUNG PEOPLE.

12. RIA Novosti: THE POSSIBILITY OF SVYAZINVEST MONOPOLISATION
IS DANGEROUS FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF RUSSIA'S NATIONAL SECURITY,
HOLDS VYACHESLAV KOSTIKOV.

13. Interfax: Poll: Russians Believe Nemtsov Will Become Next President.
14. Reuters: Spycatchers Claim Fruitful Three Years.
15. RIA Novosti: Marina Shakina, SCANDAL WITH THE SALE OF
SVYAZINVEST. Russia's federal budget received over $1.5 billion
while businessmen scratching each other's eyes out.]

********