1. Novoe Vremya: OUR DAILY BREAD. (poll)
2. Finansovaya Rossiya: SMALL BUSINESS IS BETTER THAN BIG BUSINESS.
3. UPI: Uzbek Muslims call for bombing halt.
4. Chicago Tribune: Georgi M. Derluguian, A Soviet general and nation building. (re Ruslan Aushev and Ingushetia)
5. Christian Science Monitor: Fred Weir, Putin sells foreign investors on Russian economic rebound. But overdependence on oil income could shake the recovery, say analysts at the World Economic Forum.
6. Vek: Andrei Ryabov, PUTIN PULLS AWAY FROM THE ELITE. Likely consequences of Putin's latest initiatives in Cuba and Vietnam.
7. Moscow Times: Leonard Rolfes Jr., Land Code: Next Steps.
8. Trud: Vyacheslav Nikonov, PARTNERSHIP OR RENUNCIATION? Russia risks assuming the whole burden of the operation in Afghanistan.
9. AP: Tajikistan Struggles for Stability.
10. UPI: Martin Sieff, Hu and Putin: Birds of a Feather.
11. Reuters: McDonald's rules Russian fast food market.
12. AP: Russian filmmaker Grigory Chukhrai dead at 80.
13. AP: Data: Soviets Confounded by Afghans.