December 1, 2000

This Date's Issues:   4663  4664

1. Reuters: Elaine Monaghan, US, Russia keep arms talks warm for next president.
2. The Guardian (UK): The name's Putin, Vladimir Putin. As far as Russia's thirtysomething women are concerned, President Vladimir Putin is a wanted man. Ian Traynor on an unlikely sex object.
3. The Independent (UK): Patrick Cockburn, Russian troops raze Grozny's 'guerrilla' market.
4. Charlier Christophe: re 4662-Kay/EU Beware.
5. Chris Baldwin: The Internet Editor: The Russia Journal.
6. PRESS CONFERENCE WITH GLEB PAVLOVSKY, EFFECTIVE POLICY FOUNDATION DIRECTOR, November 29, 2000.]

US, Russia keep arms talks warm for next president
By Elaine Monaghan

WASHINGTON, Nov 30 (Reuters) - The United States and Russia kept arms control
talks alive on Thursday, seeking to ensure continuity in one of the world's
most important foreign policy dialogues despite the delay in naming the next
U.S. president.

"People are very interested in keeping the momentum going, particularly on
the strategic dialogue on offense, defense and proliferation issues," a U.S.
official said.

"They want to make sure it's all teed up for the next people who come in," he
added.

He was speaking after Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbott, pivotal in
President Bill Clinton's Russia policy, held one of his last rounds of talks
with Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Georgy Mamedov.

Their goal has been to agree upon the pace of arms cuts in the massive
nuclear arsenals built up during the Cold War without wrecking their defenses
or upsetting the balance on international arms treaties.

No breakthroughs are expected from their talks, which end on Friday, though
they may meet again before Clinton's administration closes shop on Jan. 20,
the official said.

Without the delay in naming the next U.S. president due to a bruising legal
battle over who won more votes in the state of Florida, Mamedov would have
known at least what political shade of counterpart he would be dealing with
after Jan. 20.

Analysts say their main sticking point will not go away. Talks have been
stymied over whether the United States should build a National Missile
Defense (NMD) to protect itself from missile attack from states considered
unpredictable, including North Korea, Iran and Iraq.

The Clinton administration would have liked to get further in arms talks with
Russia, convincing Moscow to agree to amend the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty
(ABM) of 1972 so Washington could build the system, which uses missiles to
shoot down missiles.

The two U.S. presidential contenders have different positions on an NMD.
Democrat Al Gore has said he would examine a missile defense system to shield
U.S. territory while seeking agreement from partners like Russia.

Republican George W. Bush has said he would build a broader system, even if
it meant pulling out of the 1972 treaty.

Critics say the system could make the world more dangerous instead of safer,
arguing that amassing any missiles only encourages others to build more to
outflank the U.S. defense.

A key concern for the United States is whether Russia is doing enough to
prevent nuclear materials and technology it amassed during the Soviet years
from being spread from its territory.

The United States is also anxious to find out more about Moscow's intentions
toward Iran, a subject that came up at the discussions on Thursday, the
official said.

Moscow is due on Friday to pull out of a pact sealed in 1995 by Prime
Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin and Vice President Gore under which Russia ended
conventional arms exports to Tehran at the end of 1999.

AMERICAN ON TRIAL IN MOSCOW

Apart from arms, they touched another sore spot -- the case of Edmond Pope, a
retired naval intelligence officer on trial in Moscow for allegedly obtaining
secret data on a torpedo.

The United States strongly denies that Pope was a spy and believes him when
he says he was just trying to do business.

Clinton has asked President Vladimir Putin to intervene because the
54-year-old suffers from bone cancer and faces up to 20 years in prison. His
entreaties have prompted no action.

Talbott and Mamedov, who also discussed China, North Korea and Afghanistan,
laid the ground for meetings between their respective defense and foreign
ministers at the North Atlantic Council in Brussels next month.

The Guardian (UK)
The name's Putin, Vladimir Putin
As far as Russia's thirtysomething women are concerned, President Vladimir
Putin is a wanted man. Ian Traynor on an unlikely sex object

Running at 70% in the opinion polls, with a supine parliament about to put
him beyond the reach of the law, and spraying foreign policy initiatives into
the vacuum left by America's political uncertainty, President Vladimir Putin
could be forgiven for feeling that fortune is smiling on him.

As he approaches the one-year mark in the Kremlin, Mr Putin's good fortune
was compounded this week when the president of Russia's judo federation,
Vladimir Shestakov, piped-up to comment that the black-belt president was in
such good shape at the age of 48 that he could still occupy a place in
Russia's Olympic team.

What's more, for thirtysomething women, VVP, as he is commonly known, is the
sexiest man in Russia.

According to a poll conducted by a Moscow newspaper this week, Mr Putin
outstrips the film stars, TV personalities, pop singers, and other
celebrities in his sex appeal. Sexy politicians are not exactly thick on the
ground in Russia.

If power and money are aphrodisiacs everywhere, the cruel geriatrics who ran
the Kremlin for much of the 20th century remained less than attractive to
Russian women.

Mikhail Gorbachev had charisma and a charming wife, but his appeal was
avuncular. Boris Yeltsin, too, acquired the appeal of the erratic, forgetful
grandfather.

But Vladimir Putin, according to the newspaper, is virtually unique among
Russian politicians in being seen as a sex object.

''He doesn't smoke, he doesn't drink, he's into sport, he loves his wife and
kids. What more do you want?'' Anna, 30, told the newspaper.

Others detailed their erotic fantasies about the former KGB colonel and
confessed that they dreamt of sleeping with the president.

Only last week, Mr Putin surprised the Russian and British press by quipping,
a propos of his get-together with Tony Blair in a Moscow pub, that in male
company Russian men talked about women.

According to Komsomolskaya Pravda, Russian women not only talk about, but
dream about VVP. If the image of the steely, creepy secret policeman is cause
for suspicion of Mr Putin in the west, it seems to be part of his appeal to
Russian women who buy the spin-doctored version of a less flamboyant,
Russian-style James Bond.

''I've been in love with intelligence agents since I was a child,'' confessed
Vika, 32. ''The KGB is so romantic - men in black suits, listening devices,
impassionate faces, epaulettes. The president has an iron hand inside a
velvet glove.

''Even when Putin is shaking someone's hand on television with a little smile
to show that he is human, I am frightened of him - in other words I want him.

"Danger and sex always go together... Putin is like a glass of 12-year-old
whisky.''

The top ten sex symbols listed for Russian women predictably include sports
stars, singers, actors, and TV personalities. Perhaps the bad news for Mr
Putin is that the only other politician who makes it to the top ten is the
lager lout of the Russian parliament, Vladimir Zhirinovsky.

He is the loudmouth, extremist clown of Russian politics, the opposite of Mr
Putin's sober and severe public image.

Writing in Komsomolskaya Pravda, Darya Aslamova reveals: ''I dream of Putin
at night. Black-and-white and handsome like the intelligence agent in the old
Soviet cinema.''

The nostalgia for the old days of Soviet superpower is a common thread in the
fantasies of Mr Putin. President Boris Yeltsin destroyed the Soviet Union and
communism.

President Vladimir Putin plays with that nostalgia, deliberately and probably
genuinely ambivalent about the so-called Soviet glory days, and constantly
pledges to restore a semblance of that past power.

''To be honest,'' Ms Aslamova goes on, ''I thought it was only me who was
licensed for the nocturnal rendezvous with Putin... So I was a bit jealous
when I asked my friends - all over 30 - and found out that they all had had
sex with the president in their dreams.''

The Kremlin spin doctors could not have done a better job in maintaining
those 70% ratings.

The Independent (UK)
Russian troops raze Grozny's 'guerrilla' market
By Patrick Cockburn in Moscow

"I was near the central market in Grozny when they destroyed it," says Ahmed
Abubakarov. "First I saw men in civilian clothes seal it off and let nobody
in or out. Then they brought in 90 armoured cars and trucks and smashed all
the market stalls and took the goods people were selling."

Sergei Yastrzhembsky, the Kremlin spokesman on Chechnya, admitted Russian
troops sacked Grozny market last weekend. It is the main source of food and
supplies in the Chechen capital.

He claimed guerrillas used the market, which employed thousands of people,
for hit-and-run attacks in which 18 Russian soldiers had been killed or
kidnapped in November alone.

Traders say the soldiers arrived on Sunday and told them to put their stocks
of food and clothes in the market storerooms where they would be safe. "But
when I had locked everything up they started to shoot the locks with machine
guns," said Musa Akhatov.

"Soldiers rushed inside and pilfered the shelves â?" sausages, butter and
cheese." Another market worker said soldiers took off their battledress to
put on stolen clothes.

Events such as the destruction of Grozny market, the centre of economic
activity in the city, explain the growing hostility of Chechen civilians
towards the Russian forces. Pavel Felgenhauer, a military analyst in Moscow,
says: "The critical change over the last year is the growing hatred of
ordinary Chechens towards the Russian troops. You can be robbed, raped or
shot at any any time â?" even if you are loyal to Russia."

He fears Russian behaviour may provoke a general uprising, as it did in 1996
during the first Chechen war, when guerrillas recaptured Grozny. Russian
forces retook the battered city on 6 February after a long siege. But they
have been unable to stop guerrilla attacks in the city and villages.
Small-scale ambushes, sniping and mines have exacted a daily toll on the
50,000 to 70,000 Russian force.

This week Bislan Gantamirov, Gorzny's pro-Russian mayor, also claimed local
Chechen police in the city, nominally under the command of the Russian
Interior Ministry, were in league with the guerrillas. "They collaborate with
the bandits, help them enter the city, move about and remove their wounded,"
he said.

Mr Gantamirov is a controversial figure. Last year he was released from
prison in Moscow where he was serving a sentence for siphoning off $6m
(£4.2m) intended for the reconstruction of Grozny when he was mayor during
the last Chechen war in 1994-96. But his view of the loyalty of eventhe
nominally pro-Russian Chechen police is probably accurate. He says that in
three districts "they work for the guerrillas not the Interior Ministry".
Russian troops unlawfully kill up to 15 Chechens a day in Grozny, he added.

As winter grips, the Russian forces in Chechnya are ill-equipped for a
prolonged guerrilla campaign. Mr Felgenhauer says troops use equipment and
ammunition from rapidly depleting old Soviet stocks. There is a shortage of
heavy artillery shells and new rotor blades for helicopters. The helicopters
are kept flying only by cannibalising others.