October, 14 1999
This Date's Issues: 4578

1. Baltimore Sun: Kathy Lally, Maverick Russian judge ousted for
'independence.' Willing to buck system, even acquit defendants;
Reformer says he'll appeal; Firing shows resurgence of intolerance
for dissent.

2. Edward Lucas: Lieven/4546. (Re journalists, Russia and Chechnya)
3. Yasushi Toda: Nezavisimaya gazeta poll re Nobel prize.
4. RFE/RL: Sophie Lambroschini, NGOs Just Beginning To Take Root.
5. Moscow Times: Peter Ekman, Pseudo-Banks Must Go Way Of All Flesh.
6. gazeta.ru: Putin Favours Return to Soviet Anthem.
7. The Times (UK): Alice Lagnado, Belarus protests take their cue
from Belgrade.

8. AFP: Prosecutors admit they faked murder to incriminate
"Aluminum baron"

9. BBC MONITORING: Russian paper says draft law on regional leaders
written for Tatar president.

10. AFP: US plays down Russian flouting of agreement on Iran arms
sales.

11. The Global Beat Syndicate: Tatiana Zaretskaya, Controls by the
Kremlin Diminish Democracy.

12. Reuters: No radioactive threat from Russia's Kursk-official.]

Baltimore Sun
October 14, 2000
Maverick Russian judge ousted for 'independence'
Willing to buck system, even acquit defendants; Reformer says he'll appeal;
Firing shows resurgence of intolerance for dissent
By Kathy Lally
Sun Foreign Staff

MOSCOW - Judge Sergei A. Pashin regularly infuriated his colleagues,
acquitting defendants, speaking out against corruption, criticizing police
brutality. Finally, he made a fatal mistake. He dared to reveal his office
phone number on a radio program.

That - and having the temerity to write a critical analysis of a court case
in a nearby jurisdiction - persuaded his fellow judges to boot him off the
bench in Moscow, where he has been a loud but lonely voice for legal reform.

"They decided that giving out my phone number on the air was not behavior
befitting a judge," Pashin, 37, said yesterday. "But the real reason was my
independence."

The Moscow Qualification Collegium of Judges, Pashin said, voted 9-4 to
dismiss him this week.

"In this country," said Diederik Lohman, director of the Human Rights Watch
office in Moscow, "there's always a rule they can find to apply to people
they don't like."

Pashin's removal reflects a growing reluctance by officials to permit
dissent, said Tatyana I. Kasatkina of Memorial, another human rights
organization.

"Policy is changing for the worse, and people like Pashin have become
disagreeable and unwanted. The same thing is going on in the press and other
areas," she said.

She added that a radio program on human rights that Memorial had been
regularly preparing had been taken off the air recently.

Pashin quickly got into trouble because he refused to run his courtroom
according to Soviet-era rules. In the Soviet days, the accused was always
guilty and prosecutors, police and judges worked as a team.

"The main idea was that it was impossible for the Soviet court system to make
mistakes if it correctly followed Marxist precepts," Pashin said. "And the
system hasn't changed."

In the early 1990s, then-President Boris N. Yeltsin put Pashin at the head of
a new department to overhaul the legal system. The reformers introduced trial
by jury in nine of Russia's 89 regions beginning in 1993.

But enthusiasm for change waned in the face of police and prosecutorial
opposition. The department was disbanded, and Yeltsin appointed Pashin to the
Moscow City Court in 1996.

"He has been very principled," Lohman said. "This is a judge who actually
will acquit people. He has not only stuck to his principles in court, but he
speaks about them publicly."

Pashin knew he would have a difficult time because he was willing to
investigate when a defendant said he was beaten by police. He was willing to
acquit, doing so in one of every 10 cases even though nationally less than
one-half of 1 percent of criminal cases end in acquittal.

And he was willing to speak up and criticize when lawyers complained to him
about legal violations in other courtrooms.

When the defense asked him to critique the procedures under which a young man
in another jurisdiction was convicted of draft-dodging after he applied for
conscientious objector status, Pashin obliged.

Even though the conviction eventually was overturned and even though he
signed his analysis as a legal scholar and not as a judge, Pashin's
interference infuriated his colleagues.

"There is an unwritten code that still exists from Soviet times," Pashin
said. "Rule No. 1: Don't think. No. 2: If you think, don't speak. No. 3: If
you speak, don't write it down. No. 4: If you write it down, don't sign it.

"And if you think, speak, write it down and sign it, don't be surprised at
what happens to you."

In 1998, he was accused of violating an obscure legal procedure and was
suspended.

Human rights groups protested, and the Supreme Court reinstated him.

But another judge, Vladimir Mironov, who testified on Pashin's behalf, was
soon fired - in retaliation for his testimony, his supporters said.

"It was clear then that Pashin would not hold out for long," Kasatkina said.
"This was going to happen sooner or later."

Gasan P. Mirzoyev, a lawyer and member of parliament, said Pashin obviously
was fired because of his views.

"Sergei Pashin is one of the best judges in this country," he said. "I am
very upset by this news."

Yesterday, a weary but determined Pashin said he would appeal to a higher
judicial panel, to Russia's Supreme Court and even the European Court of
Human Rights in Strasbourg, France.

He would return, he said, to his spartan chambers in the Preobrazhensky
district court, across from the bus stop named True Judgment.