October 6, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4563  4564

1. AP: Russian Births Beset With Problems.
2. gazeta.ru: Nataliya Gevorkian, Who Is Behind Yeltsin's Memoires?
3. Interfax: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATED THROUGHOUT RUSSIA - HELSINKI
GROUP REPORT.

4. Laura Belin: Taibbi and MT on Gusinskii.
5. Moscow Times: Ana Uzelac, State Duma Lays Down the Law of the Land.
6. BBC MONITORING: INCOME OF RUSSIAN POPULATION INCREASING.
7. BBC MONITORING: RUSSIAN ANALYST SUGGESTS BIN-LADIN TIES WITH US
INTELLIGENCE SERVICES.

8. Leonard Latkovski: Re: 4561-Rowell/Exchange Programs.
9. Guy Netscher: Visitor exchange programmes.
10. Dale Herspring: McFaul on Putin.
11. Stanislav Menshikov: AMERICAN CORRUPTION IN RUSSIA.
Who Is Next on the List?

12. BBC MONITORING: SHORTFALL PREDICTED IN RUSSIAN FEED-GRAIN
HARVEST.

13. Interfax: TOP RUSSIAN SOLDIER FLOATS IDEA OF CIVILIAN DEFENCE
MINISTER.

14. Reuters: Communists, Agrarians to Oppose Russian Budget.
15. Los Angeles Time: Maura Reynolds, Yeltsin Casts a Dry Eye
Backward. Russia: Former president recalls in his upcoming memoirs the
excitement he felt at resigning. And no, those weren't tears at the end.

16. Moscow Times: Zoya Kaika, Gref Wants a Public Blacklist Of All
Delinquent Managers.]

Russian Births Beset With Problems
October 5, 2000
By ANNA DOLGOV

MOSCOW (AP) - More than two-thirds of births in Russia are marred by
complications, and every second newborn discharged from a maternity clinic is
suffering health problems, medical officials said Thursday.

The number of normal births declined from 45.3 percent in 1992 to just 30
percent last year, said Olga Frolova, head of the statistics department of
Russia's Academy of Medical Science. She attributed the decline to the spread
of heavy drinking and drug use, complications caused by sexually transmitted
diseases, and the nation's overall worsening health.

A lack of medical equipment in clinics, inadequate prenatal care and parents'
disorders also mean that 53 percent of newborns discharged from maternity
clinics are already suffering from a chronic ailment or a disease requiring
prolonged treatment, Frolova said.

``People must understand that health is an important factor of social
well-being, and a responsible attitude to one's health, especially among
teen-agers, needs to increase,'' she told a news conference.

Russia's population is also shrinking at an unprecedented rate for an
industrialized country, from 148 million three years ago to slightly more
than 145 million now, said Vladimir Kulakov, head of the Academy's research
center and maternity clinic.

About 1.2 million babies are born in Russia each year, while the country
needs 2 million babies to reverse the population decline, Kulakov told the
news conference.

Most countries in Europe have a low birth rate, but in Russia it is combined
with a staggeringly high death rate, which reached 14.7 per 1,000 people last
year, according to Frolova.

Unlike in the rest of Europe, Russia's declining birth rate is a result of
economic hardship.

Many women decide they can't afford to have more than one baby and Russia has
the world's highest abortion rate. Two in three pregnancies end in abortion,
according to official figures.

Russia's Health Ministry estimates that 10 percent to 25 percent of Russian
couples are infertile, but no precise figures are available because many
never seek professional help.

While between 35 percent and 40 percent of infertility cases could be solved
by modern treatment, the huge country has only a dozen clinics that
specialize in the problem, Kulakov said. Most Russians live far from such
clinics, or simply don't have the money to afford treatment.

gazeta.ru
October 5, 2000
Who Is Behind Yeltsin's Memoires?

Is it just a twist of fate, a mere coincidence, or is it on purpose that the
presentation of former president Boris Yeltsin's new book has been scheduled
for October 7th, President Vladimir Putin's birthday? Nataliya Gevorkian, the
co-author of the book-interview with Putin, "In The First Person", gives her
assessment.

I asked Yeltsin for an interview immediately after he resigned. A
president on his way out is more interesting a person to me, than a newcomer.
The internal drama, and it is always a drama, no matter what and how the
"former" himself perceives it, always engrosses me much more than a
newcomer's triumph. Even from that standpoint, Yeltsin was more interesting
than Putin. And now Clinton is more interesting than Gore and Bush.

But everything turned out differently: I interviewed Putin but never had the
chance to interview Yeltsin. The formal reason was that Yeltsin was short of
time. He was working on his book and had to finish it.

I have read only excerpts from that book, published in Argumenty i Fakty
(a Russian daily newspaper). Of course it is not a mere coincidence that the
interview with Yeltsin and the excerpts from his book were published namely
in Argumenty. Apparently the paper's large circulation predetermined the
choice.

And, of course, the choice of excerpt to publish was no coincidence. It is
the only episode in the book that really depicts the link between Yeltsin and
Putin, the episode about Yeltsin relinquishing power to Putin. It's an
episode about the transfer of power.

I've heard Putin's interpretation of the transfer. But Putin could only
attempt to explain why he agreed to accept power, i.e. he could not explain
why Yeltsin relinquished it.

And I still cannot help wondering why Yeltsin resolved, (or agreed? or maybe
he thought that he resolved but in fact he agreed) to relinquish it (power).

I read the excerpt from his book and I do not believe it. The result is a
trivial, empty and polished picture purposely stripped of inner depth. It is
hard to say who, but somebody was definitely overzealous in their efforts to
ensure there were no blemishes.…Yeltsin is far more vigorous and
controversial a figure, far less ordinary than the person depicted in that
excerpt from the book.

And that's without mentioning the fact that there has never been and there
still is no explanation as to why he resolved to abdicate his post… Not why
it happened namely on the 31st, on the New Year's Eve 1999, but why it
happened at all?

In the excerpt, Yeltsin comes across as a cantankerous little old man, who
all of a sudden takes a decision that above all needs to be kept secret.

Of course, it is hard for him, he is upset but at the same time he chuckles
softly to himself thinking, "what a New Year present I have prepared for
all!" And then, with a sense of relief, standing by a Christmas tree like a
Santa Claus, he pulls tree that key present to the nation out of his sack- a
young man whom nobody knows but whom the nation was ordered to trust.

But that's not how it was! Is the author really trying to say that Yeltsin
changed on New Year's Eve? And, according to his memoirs, on the TV screen
during his address to the nation he did not shed a tear, but simply tried to
get something out of his eye.

If really it is true then thanks for being so honest. But why then was the
event not re-shot? Why was the "speck" not removed during editing? Was it to
give the impression that it was a teardrop after all? Is that honest? And
could it be, maybe, that something got stuck in his throat?

As for me, I listened to his address on the radio but did not watch it on TV
and I guessed from his voice the moment when the speck got in his eye.

I still have the impression that the chapter (published in Argumenty & Fakty)
was written and edited with Putin in mind. And I would prefer if it if they
had considered Yeltsin.

I understand it would be hard to do because the same people who were with
Yeltsin to his very last day in power are now with Putin.

Indeed, it is the same team and that team sees the difference between the
former and latter better than all of us. And the part of that team that was
close to the former is trying to extend and to secure a bond that links the
two, (or, maybe, to remind the present-day president of that bond? Such a
reminder could have harmed Putin during the elections, but they are now long
passed.)

And that is why that excerpt in particular was published. And that is why the
presentation is scheduled for the new president's birthday.

I must admit it is rather difficult for me to write about all this. I'm on
good terms with Valentin Yumashev and Tatyana Dyachenko. My relations with
them have developed since Yeltsin's resignation. From my point of view at
least, I consider those relations to be purely informal. But I believed, and
they knew it, and now I am sure of it and no matter how much they want it to
be otherwise, that Putin has eradicated much of what Yeltsin did. Putin, by
the very nature of his life prior to becoming president, is no supporter to
Yeltsin.

He may feel grateful towards Yeltsin (and there are certainly reasons for
that), but Putin is of a different blood group.

The same happened with (Anatoly) Sobchak who had helped Putin to integrate
into a new life and to survive his leaving KGB. And Putin remained grateful
and loyal to him, albeit that Sobchak was not of the same kidney.

But Putin under Sobchak and Putin under Yeltsin was different from what Putin
is now, as a head of state. That is another story and it is yet to happen.
But he is no successor and not even an interpreter of his predecessor.

They are too different. Their lives, the stories of their coming to power are
different. Intellectually and in terms of their political talent, including
even their mistakes, they differ a great deal.

I do not know what Yeltsin liked about Putin. Maybe it was because of the
fact that they are beyond comparison. And there is no need to compare them.
And therefore it's all the more insulting that in that small excerpt, Yeltsin
is polished to fit Putin. I feel sorry for Yeltsin.

Natalia Gevorkyan

HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATED THROUGHOUT RUSSIA - HELSINKI GROUP REPORT
Interfax

Moscow, 5th October: The human rights situation in Bashkortostan and Kalmykia
is the worst in Russia, the leaders of Moscow's Helsinki Group said at the
presentation of an alternative report on human rights in Russia's regions,
prepared by Russian human rights organizations.

There is not a single region in Russia where the observance of human rights
would meet international requirements, the chairperson of Moscow's Helsinki
Group, Lyudmila Alekseyeva, has said. She noted, however, that "in Novgorod
and Samara Regions the authorities are at least not hampering the formation
of a developed civil-state system".

The four-volume 1,800-page report includes a section on the human rights
situation in various spheres, as well as reports on the situation in 60
Russian regions. The project was financed by the US Agency for International
Development...

Russia has no alternative civilian service, the situation in prisons and
detention facilities remains poor and citizens' election rights are being
violated, she said.

"But the main problem is our judicial system," Alekseyeva said. "In many
instances, the Supreme Court makes unlawful decisions even after all the
court proceedings," she said.