September 18, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4521  4522

1. Christian Science Monitor: Scott Peterson and Fred Weir,
Russians shrug off stolen votes. After a series of crises,
new evidence of fraud in the March presidential vote sparks
concern, little ire. (DJ: As far as I know the New York Times
and the Washington Post have completely ignored the Moscow
Times vote fraud story.)

2. The Russia Journal: Ekaterina Larina, A patriotic mission
for Russian athletes. Russia’s Olympic team sets out for Sydney,
not just for medals, but to reclaim some national pride.

3. Itar-Tass: IMF WANTS RUSSIA TO USE FAVOURABLE SITUATION TO
BOOST REFORMS.

4. Financial Times (UK): John Thornhill and Andrew Jack,
Assets battle hits Gazprom offer for Media Most.

5. Albert Weeks: Moscow and Iraqi oil.
6. stratfor.com: U.S. Edges Into Central Asia?
7. The Russia Journal: Andrei Piontkovsky, King meets the
president. Like a professional spy, Putin displayed sly coolness
on CNN.

8. The Independent on Sunday (UK): NO MAN'S LAND: IN THE BLASTED
RUINS OF GROZNY, LIFE IS STIRRING. THE PAINFUL PROCESS OF REBUILDING
THE CHECHEN CAPITAL HAS BEGUN. BUT THE PEOPLE LABOURING IN THE
RUBBLE ARE ALL WOMEN. WHERE ARE ALL THE MEN? STEVE CRAWSHAW DISCOVERS
THE DEPRESSING TRUTH.

9. BBC MONITORING: PENNILESS SOLDIERS IN CHECHNYA FIGHT FOR THEIR
HUMAN RIGHTS.

10. Moscow Times: Alexander Kostiaev, Superior Education.]

Christian Science Monitor
September 18, 2000
Russians shrug off stolen votes
After a series of crises, new evidence of fraud in the March presidential
vote sparks concern, little ire.
By Scott Peterson and Fred Weir

Suppose a crusading US newspaper were to dig up evidence that an American
presidential election had been stolen by means of ballot-stuffing,
misreported returns, armies of fake voters, and systematic intimidation. And
suppose most major US papers refused to follow up on the story.

Sound farfetched? Not in today's Russia, where the near-silence from the mass
media to just such an exposé reflects the exhaustion, if not outright
failure, of the post-Soviet democracy-building project. Nearly a decade after
the collapse of Communism, impoverished and disaster-plagued Russians appear
to no longer care if their new electoral system is working honestly or
effectively.

President Clinton hailed the results of the March 26 presidential election -
in which Vladimir Putin seized a first-round victory with 52.94 percent of
the vote - as a big step for Russian democracy. An array of international
observers, too, gave their seal of approval.

But last week, the Moscow Times, an English-language daily owned jointly by a
Dutch company and several big Russian corporations, published an eight-page
study detailing extensive fraud. For the investigative piece, a team of
reporters traveled around Russia for six months, pulling together disparate
strains of evidence. "Given how close the vote was," the Times concluded,
"fraud and abuse of state power appear to have been decisive."

Few deny the likelihood of cheating, or that Putin would have won in a
second-round runoff, if one were held. But in a nation reeling from a recent
spate of crises, the often-feisty Russian-language press has given the story
a miss.

"I have no doubt there was fraud," says Vladimir Andreyenkov, director of the
independent Center for Comparative Social Research in Moscow. "We're all well
acquainted with the scale and methods of pressure employed by the president's
team during the elections, both direct and indirect. What happened in the
election went well beyond all moral boundaries."

But, he adds with a very Russian shrug, so what? "In Russia, fraud is seen as
a natural part of the process. Maybe democracy is the privilege of a rich
country. When three-quarters of the population are as poor as beggars, what
democracy can you talk about?"

That may be news to voters in India - the world's largest and possibly
poorest democracy - but analysts say that overcoming the old Soviet system's
vertical power structure has made democratic thinking rare indeed.

Despite its detail, the Times report said it was unable to make any direct
link between the allegations of fraud and Putin himself. Among the
newspaper's findings, however, were large discrepancies between votes
recorded at polling stations in some regions, and the results reported to
Moscow by local authorities. A comparison of the returns from 16 percent of
the polling stations in Dagestan, one of Russia's 89 regions, for example,
appears to document the theft of 88,000 votes in Putin's favor.

Projecting the same trend to the whole region - the Moscow Times was barred
from checking the returns in many places - yielded the paper an estimated
conservative total of 551,000 stolen votes, nearly one-quarter of Putin's
nationwide margin of victory.

Significant, though less pronounced, levels of fraud reportedly were
uncovered in at least nine other Russian regions. Tactics included a
votes-for-vodka scam, and widespread pressure to vote Putin from local bosses
trying to prove their "loyalty." Times reporters said they found partially
burned ballots - with the checked name of Putin's main opponent, Communist
Gennady Zyuganov, still clearly visible - and heard anecdotal evidence of
ballot-box stuffing, vote rigging, and other improprieties.

"This is really a scandal of momentous [proportions], and it is good field
work. It looked like they really dug up something," says Marshall Goldman, a
director at Harvard University's Davis Center for Russian Studies in
Cambridge, Mass. Mr. Goldman served as an election monitor for the March
vote. "We asked, 'What will happen once the vote is tabulated? How do you
know what is transmitted to Moscow?' " he says. "They told us, 'We have our
tally sheets [to] doublecheck....' But if there are no observers and no press
present, this [fraud] is going to happen."

Despite a somewhat rosy early assessment, the final report of the Office of
Security and Cooperation in Europe - which sent 400 observers - notes that
fraud was serious. In its 2000 index rating official corruption, Transparency
International, a Berlin-based advocacy group, ranked Russia eighth-worst out
of 90 countries.

Another apparent problem points to higher-level involvement. Between
parliamentary elections in December and the presidential polls in March, the
number of registered Russian voters jumped by 1.3 million - or nearly 2
percent. Every Russian citizen automatically becomes a voter at 18, but
Western and Russian demographic experts quoted by the Times say that such a
surge was virtually impossible in a country whose population has been in
decline for the past decade.

The Russian media have hardly been eager to pursue the story. The only
reaction so far has been a 300-word piece in the central daily Izvestia,
which accused the "American press" of meddling in Russia's internal affairs.

"Russian society has adapted to blanket lies, and is not stirred much when
they are exposed. People are exhausted, occupied with their own personal
survival, and don't want to ask questions," says Yuri Solomonov, deputy
editor of Novaya Gazeta, a crusading weekly. "Consider the reaction to the
ongoing war in Chechnya. People receive the daily death toll in much the same
impassive way they hear the weather report."

"We all know there was fraud in all our elections, and this is the way things
work in Russia," says Sergei Mikhailov, an analyst with the independent
Center for Social Studies in Moscow. "People accept that power will have its
way. Perhaps that's the famous Russian fatalism in action, but that's how it
is."

The Russia Journal
September 16-22, 2000
A patriotic mission for Russian athletes
By EKATERINA LARINA
Russia’s Olympic team sets out for Sydney, not just for medals, but to
reclaim some national pride.
Just like in Soviet times, Russia’s Olympic team has been burdened with a
mission of state importance ­ to give the Russian people an injection of
national pride. Olympic victories would be the perfect rallying call for
the Kremlin in its search to consolidate the people around a national idea.

A foretaste of what big wins could mean for the man on the street came last
week, when the nation reveled in 20-year-old Marat Safin’s win over tennis
legend Pete Sampras in the U.S. Open men’s singles title after a month of
disasters and bad news.

"The way he’s playing, he’s the future of the game," Sampras said after his
6-4, 6-3, 6-3 thrashing. President Vladimir Putin reportedly sent Safin a
letter stating, "We are proud that today’s victor is a Russian."

It’s up to sports psychologists to say whether or not an athlete will play
at maximum potential when so great a portion of the state’s national pride
rests on his shoulders. Nonetheless, Putin sent the Russian team on its
way, instructing them to "inspire confidence and success in the hearts of
Russians."

"We’re not just preparing for a successful performance from our athletes.
The issue is also about Russia’s international prestige," Putin said at a
meeting of the Olympic committee before the Russian team’s departure for
Australia. "We need the joy of a common victory. Sometimes, sporting
victories can mean more than a hundred political slogans."

Vladimir Rimsky, the head of the Indem sociological foundation, said that
the use of sport as an element of ideology is completely natural and one
that’s familiar to Russians, most of whom grew up in a Soviet Union where
everything possible was incorporated into ideology.

"For ideology, sport is a way of appropriating the ideas of struggle and
opposition," Rimsky said. "This was how it was in the Soviet era, when
sport was an ideological element in the struggle against ‘damned
imperialism.’ Our sporting successes were supposed to be proof of the
superiority of our system."

But Rimsky added that in putting such high stakes on sport, the Kremlin
spin doctors were taking a risk. This is because with last-minute
propaganda efforts it won’t be easy to have a consolidated impact on mass
consciousness. This seems all the more true since even the most optimistic
predictions don’t promise any particular success.

"The authorities are trying to use the Olympics because they, or the spin
doctors at least, are hungry for anything that could have a positive
effect," Rimsky said. "But this is a calculation based on emotions, and
they forget that today one emotion might dominate, but tomorrow, it could
be completely different. The first real defeat or loss by our sportsmen
could ruin the whole idea."

"The fact is that we’re going to the Olympics without being sure that we
can win," Rimsky said. "Everyone knows, our own people included, that in
difficult economic conditions, it’s hard to have good sport. We shouldn’t
assume the people are so stupid that they don’t see this."

But perhaps both the spin doctors and sports officials do understand this.
Recent rumors that Russian athletes will fall victim to prejudiced judges
and referees are being interpreted by independent analysts as a sort of
insurance policy in case of defeat.

"Maybe in some sports, prejudiced judges can have an impact, but not on a
mass scale," Rimsky said. "Our PR people have already begun justifying
things and are taking a defensive approach, but this isn’t a winning
tactic. And in the end, if you’re stronger and get another five punches in,
no prejudiced referee will get in your way."

Rimsky said that even in today’s situation, the Olympics could have been
used as an ideological resource if their potential had been remembered
earlier and a campaign to support Russia’s team begun sooner. He said that
a feeling of responsibility toward the Russian people and support from them
could be a real incentive for the Olympic team, but the public should have
been made aware of this earlier.

"I used to play sport myself, and I know that it’s a great help when you
feel the responsibility and you know you’ve got people solidly behind you,"
Rimsky said, recalling his days cross-country skiing. "I always performed
better in a team, in the relay, when I knew I had to score points for the
team."

Meanwhile, Russia’s athletes have been offered extra motivation in the form
of $50,000 for a gold medal, $30,000 for a silver and $10,000 for a bronze.

Anatoly Ilyin, 69, who scored the U.S.S.R. soccer team’s winning goal at
the 1956 Olympics, said he welcomed the move.

"We were oriented to taking part and winning and were not interested in
financial matters," he said. "This task is always the same in sport, but
reinforcing it with money can be seen as a sign of the state’s attention
and gratitude."

Whether the team will be able to give Russians cause to forget their daily
problems for a while is not certain. At least, the pressure isn’t quite the
same as in Soviet days when even a second place result was considered a
defeat. In today’s Russia, any success by the Russian athletes will be
considered a victory, observers say. And no one will draw attention to
defeats, so as not to upset the people, who have enough problems as it is.

IMF WANTS RUSSIA TO USE FAVOURABLE SITUATION TO BOOST REFORMS
ITAR-TASS

Washington, 17th September: The International Monetary Fund believes that
Russia should take advantage of the current favourable economic situation
to boost its structural reforms.

That was the main recommendation which members of the IMF board of
directors gave in Moscow on the results of discussions on the economic
situation in Russia, Russia's executive director in the IMF, Aleksey
Mozhin, told ITAR-TASS.

Discussions were held on Friday [15th September] within the framework of
the traditional annual consultations. It was not expected to discuss the
renewal of credits to Moscow. According to Mozhin, many board members
raised doubts about Russia's need for additional credits from the IMF.

They believe it would be enough for Russia to adopt a programme that makes
it possible to carry out necessary reforms, but envisaged fresh credits
only if some unforeseen difficulties arose.

Moscow, for its part, has repeatedly said recently that it would like to
get money from the IMF to service and pay off its debt to that
organization. The amount of 1.75bn dollars was mentioned for 2001.

The new programme of Russia-IMF cooperation is expected to be discussed
during a visit to Moscow by an IMF mission, due in the second half of
October.

Financial Times (UK)
Assets battle hits Gazprom offer for Media Most
By John Thornhill in London and Andrew Jack in Moscow
Gazprom, Russia's biggest gas group, has offered to buy Vladimir Gusinsky's
Russian media interests, the country's biggest commercial media business, for
$300m.

But the acquisition of the financially troubled Media Most group has stalled
over wrangling about which assets should be included.

However, Gazprom has already approached an international investment bank to
seek foreign buyers for Media Most on the assumption that it will eventually
win full control.

"Our idea, which is supported by [Rem] Vyakhirev (Gazprom's chief executive)
and other shareholders, is that we would take this business and with the help
of powerful financial consultants sell it on to an international investor,"
said one person close to the deal.

Mr Gusinsky, one of Russia's most flamboyant "oligarchs" who built Media Most
into the country's most influential television and newspaper group, is still
desperate to save his media empire and wants to renegotiate the sale to
Gazprom. The media magnate, who was arrested in June and thrown into prison
for three days on embezzlement charges, claims he is a victim of a Kremlin
crackdown on the free press.

Gazprom, which already owns 16 per cent of Media Most's equity and is one of
the company's biggest creditors, claims its dispute is purely commercial and
that it wants to recoup money to invest in its core gas business. In March,
Media Most defaulted on a $211m loan guaranteed by Gazprom and secured on 20
per cent of the media company's equity. Gazprom has also guaranteed an
additional $262m loan, which becomes repayable next year and is secured
against an additional 20 per cent of Media Most's shares.

It is understood that on July 26, Alfred Kokh, a former minister who now runs
Gazprom's media businesses, signed a confidential agreement with Mr Gusinsky
to buy Media Most's outstanding equity for $300m and assume all its debts.

On the same day Mikhail Lesin, the press minister, signed a protocol dropping
all criminal charges against Mr Gusinsky, allowing the media magnate to leave
the country soon afterwards.

But Gazprom believes that Mr Gusinsky has now transferred shareholdings in
Media Most's daughter companies to a Gibraltar-based company in an attempt to
scupper the proposed sale. The company is considering whether to take legal
action to seize Media Most's assets.

Media Most could not be reached for comment last night.

However, Mr Gusinsky's group has previously denied suggestions that any deal
with Gazprom had been concluded and dismissed reports to the contrary as
manipulations by Gazprom or the Russian government. Mr Gusinsky has for
months been seeking a foreign strategic investor to help salvage his
financially-troubled group.

In a recent interview, Yevgeny Kisilyov, general director of NTV, Media
Most's television channel, said he did not expect Mr Gusinsky's imminent
return to Russia.

Against the backdrop of concerns that Gazprom's control of NTV would reduce
the degree to which the station has been critical of the government, Mr
Kisilyov's prime-time evening television programme went back on the offensive
yesterday evening. It gave considerable coverage to last week's visit of
Swiss prosecutors to Moscow to meet their Russian counterparts in relation to
allegations of corruption in the presidential administration.