September 8, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4498  4499

1. AP: Russian Officials Deny Sub Report.
2. Interfax: RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTER CONFIRMS PLANNED ARMED FORCES CUTS.
3. Los Angeles Times: Maura Reynolds, Apartment Bombers Trained by
Chechens, Russians Say.

4. Washington Post editorial: Mr. Putin's War.
5. Financial Times (UK): Charles Clover and Andrew Jack, Duma to demand
more spending in budget.

6. From Edward Lucas--personal view from Moscow.
7. BBC MONITORING: RUSSIA'S PUTIN SUMS UP ACHIEVEMENTS OF UN MILLENNIUM
SUMMIT.

8. Washington Post: Robert Kaiser, Kursk Crew Sent No Signals After
Sinking, Putin Says.

9. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: No Safety For Moscow Prostitutes.
10. Vek: GEORGY SATAROV: "THE AUTHORITIES AND SOCIETY MUST BECOME
PARTNERS"

11. BBC MONITORING: HERO OF THE DAY INTERVIEWS UNION OF RIGHT
FORCES HEAD NEMTSOV.

12. The Nation: Mark Hertsgaard, Russia's Environmental Crisis.
OWING TO NEW DISASTERS AND PERSECUTIONS, ACTIVISM APPEARS TO BE
RESURGENT.]

Russian Officials Deny Sub Report
Associated Press
Sept. 8, 2000

MOSCOW ­­ Russian officials on Friday hotly denied that a government
investigation had concluded that the Kursk nuclear submarine was sunk by a
missile fired by a Russian ship.

The Federal Security Service would not comment on the report, published
Friday in Germany's Berliner Zeitung. But spokesmen for both the Russian
Navy and the special commission investigating the Kursk disaster adamantly
denied it.

"This is nonsense. Cruisers never carry real warheads, only training
weapons, during military exercises," said Oksana Onishchenko, the
spokeswoman for the special commission head, Deputy Prime Minister Ilya
Klebanov.

Naval spokesman Igor Dygalo also denied the possibility, the Interfax news
agency reported.

According to the Berliner Zeitung report, Russia's Federal Security Service
concluded that the Kursk was hit by a new anti-submarine rocket fired by a
nuclear-powered cruiser, the Peter the Great. Both vessels were taking part
in naval exercises in the Barents Sea on Aug. 12 when the Kursk sank. All
118 men on board perished.

The Berliner Zeitung said the Peter the Great had fired a Granit rocket
armed with a new target-seeking warhead and that the missile traveled 12
miles underwater. Then two underwater explosions were heard aboard the
cruiser, the report said. The Kursk was later determined to have been
within 1,312 feet of the rocket, the report said.

The scenario was among about a half-dozen theories advanced in the Russian
media after the Kursk sank. But Onishchenko said Klebanov's commission had
never even considered it.

Russian officials have speculated that the Kursk collided with another
vessel, although they have also admitted that the powerful explosions that
gashed the submarine's hull could have been caused by an internal problem.
American officials believe an internal torpedo misfire was responsible for
the tragedy.

RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTER CONFIRMS PLANNED ARMED FORCES CUTS
Interfax

Kubinka test range (Moscow region), 8th September: Russian Defence Minister
Marshal Igor Sergeyev has confirmed reports of planned radical cuts in the
country's armed forces.

Answering journalists' questions on Friday [8th September] on whether there
were indeed plans to cut back 350,000 servicemen between 2001 and 2003, the
marshal said: "Decisions on that have been taken, and proposals to be made
to the president on their implementation are now being drafted."

According to Interfax sources, the plan is to reduce the numerical strength
of the Ground Troops by 180,000 servicemen, the navy by over 50,000 and the
air force by nearly 40,000.

"There will be radical cuts in the Strategic Missile Troops, in the rear
services and auxiliary structures," the agency's sources also said.

Furthermore, according to them, the numerical strength of military units of
other force structures in Russia [i.e. those outside the Defence Ministry]
is to be reduced by over 60,000 servicemen. In particular, the Internal
Troops of the Russian Interior Ministry are to be cut back by 20,000, the
Railway Troops by 10,000 and the Federal Border Guard Service by 5,000.

Another 25,000 servicemen or so are to be cut back in other military
departments (the Federal Agency for Government Communications, the Federal
Security Service and others), Interfax sources noted.

Los Angeles Times
September 8, 2000
Apartment Bombers Trained by Chechens, Russians Say
By MAURA REYNOLDS, Times Staff Writer

MOSCOW--A year after a series of four bombs decimated apartment
buildings and killed more than 300 people in Moscow and southern Russia,
security officials said Thursday that the attacks were organized by fighters
from Chechnya but carried out by members of other ethnic groups.
The Federal Security Service, or FSB, the main successor to the Soviet
KGB, had previously blamed "Chechen terrorists" for the bombings, which set
off a wave of panic that was a major impetus for Russia's current war on the
separatist republic.
But in a news conference closed to foreign journalists, FSB officials
said the bombers, while acting on orders from Chechen rebels, were ethnic
Karachais and Avars.
The FSB has evidence that the terrorism was carried out by "a criminal
gang of extremist Wahhabi Muslims trained in camps run by Chechen fighters,"
Vladimir Kozlov, deputy head of the agency's terrorism department, said in
excerpts broadcast on the national ORT television network.
The main culprits remain at large, Kozlov said.
Karachais and Avars are two of dozens of ethnic groups in Russia's
volatile Caucasus region. The former are from Karachayevo-Cherkessia and the
latter from Dagestan, which borders Chechnya. All three republics are mostly
Muslim.
In a three-page press release, the FSB provided new details about how it
believes the bomb attacks took place. But as in the past, the evidence
presented to demonstrate a link to Chechen rebels was circumstantial: The
methods used in the bombings matched plans found inside Chechnya at what the
FSB described as a training camp run by a rebel known as Khattab, who goes by
only one name.
"We have reliable information showing that these crimes were connected
and that they were organized and financed by field commanders of the illegal
Chechen military formations," the press release states.
Suspicions have surrounded the four bombings from the start since
officials were quick to blame Chechens and slow to produce evidence
supporting the link.
The Interfax news agency quoted another FSB official, Maj. Gen.
Alexander Shagako, as saying that 33 people are in custody in connection with
the attacks and that 10 others are being sought. Six other suspects wanted in
connection with the case are believed to have died in Chechnya during the
fighting, Interfax said.

Washington Post
September 8, 2000
Editorial
Mr. Putin's War

IT DIDN'T GET much attention the other day when the United Nations high
commissioner for refugees warned that about 170,000 Chechens are facing the
prospect of a second grim winter in tents and other makeshift shelters
outside their home province in Russia. The man most responsible for their
plight, Russian President Vladimir Putin, happened to be in New York this
week. But he wanted to talk about missile defense, not Chechnya, and
Americans seemed more interested, if at all, in his handling of the sinking
of the submarine Kursk. That tragic accident cost 118 sailors' lives. Mr.
Putin's year-old war in Chechnya has claimed many more lives than that every
week, and the war continues.

Chechnya is a province of southern Russia, at the edge of the Caucasus
Mountains, that in Soviet times was home to about 1 million people. After the
Soviet Union dissolved in 1991, Chechnya sought to secede. Boris Yeltsin went
to war to prevent this in 1994, killed many people and by 1996 essentially
admitted defeat. Chechnya was allowed to go its own way.

Last summer, after Chechen guerrillas launched an attack on a neighboring
province, then-Prime Minister Putin went to war again. At first the Russian
people approved heartily, even as their troops essentially destroyed the
capital city of Grozny and many of its civilian inhabitants. The war boosted
Mr. Putin's popularity and propelled him into the presidency.

Now the war is less popular, but Mr. Putin does not seem to know how to end
it. His occupying army is nominally in control of a mostly wrecked Chechnya,
but snipers and guerrillas regularly kill his men. Russian soldiers routinely
torture Chechen men and extort bribes from their relatives for their release.
The elected Chechen government-in-hiding recently charged that its parliament
speaker, Ruslan Alikhadjiev, has been tortured to death in a Moscow prison.
Russian authorities acknowledge that they arrested the man four months ago,
but claim they don't know where he is now. On Wednesday Russian troops
detained, beat and extorted $600 from an Associated Press reporter who
happened to be an ethnic Chechen.

For a time, Western leaders noisily insisted that Mr. Putin hold his generals
accountable for war crimes, allow humanitarian workers to help Chechen
refugees and initiate a dialogue with Chechen leaders. The Russian president
has stiffed them on all counts, but no one makes much noise anymore. The war
goes on, but outside of Chechnya most everyone has lost interest.

Financial Times (UK)
Duma to demand more spending in budget
By Charles Clover and Andrew Jack

Russian legislators are gearing up to demand more political spending from
the government as a condition for approving the 2001 budget this autumn,
the Duma speaker warned this week.

Before the opening of parliament today, Gennady Seleznyov, the speaker,
warned "The discussion will be very sharp on certain parts of the budget,
especially military reforms. The state of the military doesn't suit anyone
today, particularly in the aftermath of such tragic incidents" as the Kursk
accident.

His statement - which reflects the views of the Communist party of which he
is deputy leader - highlights the new tensions between parliament,
government and the Kremlin.

The remarks are particularly pointed given the previous several months of
close co-operation between the Duma and President Vladimir Putin - a
situation unprecedented during the era of Mr Putin's predecessor, Boris
Yeltsin.

They also come after a warning late last month from the Fatherland-OVR
fraction that it would not vote for the 2001 budget unless military
spending was raised from 2.7 per cent to 3 per cent or more of GDP.

Mr Seleznyov argued that the relatively low forecasts of revenues from oil
exports on which the 2001 budget is based gave enough margin to allow for
the creation of a reserve to be spent on the armed forces, public sector
pay rises and education and science.

Mr Seleznyov was one of the architects of a contested deal to divide most
committee chairs in the parliament between the Communists and the
pro-Kremlin Unity party at the expense of minor parties after elections in
December last year.

He described the relationship between the Communists and Unity as
"constructive" but added: "If Unity insists on liberal reforms such as
(Yegor) Gaidar (Russia's former deputy prime minister) implemented, then
the relationship will collapse."

Mr Seleznyov stressed his support for Mr Putin's efforts to reign in the
excessive powers of Russia's 89 regional governors by weakening their
control over the Federation Council, the upper parliamentary chamber. But
he played down suggestions that any unresolved disagreements with the
Kremlin risked provoking similar attempts to dilute parliament's powers,
and said he had received assurances on the matter from Mr Putin.

"I don't believe that the Duma's powers will be cut back," he said. "The
Duma does not possess such great powers as it is. But I am confident that
we will even achieve more powers."