April 9, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4236

1. The Russia Journal: Andrei Piontkovsky, The King-User. (Berezovsky)
2. BBC MONITORING: POLL SHOWS PUTIN ENJOYS MORE TRUST IN RUSSIA
THAN ANY OTHER LEADER.

3. The Sunday Times (UK): Mark Franchetti, Inside Moscow.
(Puppet satire has Putin spitting blood)

4. Amy Knight: RE Anne Applebaum's piece. (role of security services)
5. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: Insights on a 'Fort Boyard' Presidency.
6. The Globe and Mail (Canada): Geoffrey York, Mystery of Putin's
missing years. He acknowledges he was KGB agent for 16 years but won't
say what exactly he was up to at peak of Cold War.

7. Boston Globe: Charles Radin, Gorbachev, in Hub, warns US on
missile plan.

8. Baltimore Sun: Will Englund, War darkens Russia's European vision.
Integration with Europe appears unlikely after rebuke about Chechnya.

9. U.S. News and World Report: Mortimer Zuckerman, Can Putin put
Russia right? The new president is a strong man, but he faces daunting
problems.

10. The Sunday Times (UK): Mark Franchetti, Chechens wipe out
Russia's top troops.]

The Russia Journal
April 10-16, 2000
The king-user
By ANDREI PIONTKOVSKY

Once every four years, Boris Berezovsky feels the need to announce urbi et
orbi who he has elected president. At the same time, he sets out his
elected president’s main tasks for the coming period.

Traditionally, he chooses the Financial Times as the mouthpiece for his
message. In 1996, he picked the London publication, while this year, it was
Moscow’s Vedemosti newspaper, published jointly by the Financial Times and
Wall Street Journal.

The famous 1996 interview became a manifesto for financial oligarchy – "We,
Russia’s seven leading businessmen, hired Anatoly Chubais as presidential
campaign manager, invested colossal money and ensured Boris Yeltsin’s
election. Now we have the right to join the government, take top posts
there and enjoy the fruits of our victory."

The tone and content of this statement were deliberately provocative and
insulting for President Yeltsin, then head of the presidential
administration, Chubais and Russia’s whole system of authority. It gave the
presidential administration only two options – either chase all the
oligarchs from the government jobs they grabbed with personal enrichment as
the sole aim, or keep silent and admit that Berezovsky was right.

The authorities kept silent. Only after a year had passed, in the summer of
1997, did they make a timid attempt to protest. The "young reformers" who
came into the government with Chubais at their head proposed that from then
on, the oligarchs play the game by new and transparent rules.

Revenge was quick to follow. The oligarchs unleashed their media on Chubais
in a campaign to destroy his moral reputation, reminding him of the
conditions under which he was hired for the 1996 campaign and the
recompense for his services.

As a result, the young reformers had to leave the government, and Yeltsin’s
second presidential term became an oligarchic feast with default as the
main course and scandals involving Aeroflot, Mabetex and the Bank of New
York as dessert.

Four years passed. Election time came around once more, and there again was
Chubais, telling us about a new stage in liberal reforms, separation of
money and power and distance from the oligarchs. All under the enlightened
reign of the new President Vladimir Putin. But what does Chubais’ one-time
employer and later opponent Boris Berezovsky have to say?

Question: "Do you believe that Putin can really distance the oligarchs from
power, and how would he do it?

Answer: "He needs a victory in the first round. Like any normal politician,
he’s taking a pragmatic approach. He said that the oligarchs should be
distanced from power. That’s normal, absolutely correct. But it’s
impossible to do. The words are correct. They’re spoken for the voter."

Berezovsky is staking out his claim on Russia’s second president.
Berezovsky generously lets Putin say the right words during his election
campaign but warns him sternly not to try going beyond the bounds of what’s
possible after his election. A few deft strokes for Putin’s benefit paint
the history and context of their relations.

We see an insignificant bureaucrat, "in no way standing out among the
others," who goes on to become director of the FSB (Federal Security
Service) and then comes uninvited to the family gathering of an oligarch
under investigation by the Prosecutor’s Office to express his respect and
loyalty. And finally, now –

Question: "Does Putin have any capital backing him?"

Answer: "Of course. What do you think; am I not capital? And what about the
others who’ve backed not [Yury] Luzhkov and [Yevgeny] Primakov but put
their stakes on Putin?"

Once again, the authorities kept silent.

(Andrei Piontkovsky is director of the Center of Strategic Research.)

BBC MONITORING
POLL SHOWS PUTIN ENJOYS MORE TRUST IN RUSSIA THAN ANY OTHER LEADER
Source: Russian Public TV, Moscow, in Russian 1700 gmt 8 Apr 00

Our previous programme did not feature the results of All-Russia public
opinion polls conducted by the Public Opinion Foundation. But we are now
returning again to the issue of trust in leading politicians. We are
returning precisely to the issue of trust rather than the issue of virtual
voting in favour of the president in some hypothetical weekly elections.

Do you trust this particular politician? Here are the results of answers to
this question: a total of 47 per cent trust President-elect Vladimir Putin
and 20 per cent mistrust him. He is followed by Kemerovo Region governor
Aman-Geldy Tuleyev who is trusted by 24 per cent of those polled and
mistrusted by 40 per cent. Also 24 per cent of respondents trust in Communist
leader Gennadiy Zyuganov and 53 per cent mistrust him. A total of 11 per cent
trust Yabloko leader Grigoriy Yavlinskiy and 66 per cent mistrust him.
Liberal Democratic Party leader Vladimir Zhirinovskiy is at the bottom of the
list, with 7 per cent of respondents who trust and 77 per cent of those who
mistrust him...

Here is one more important issue - it is about people's trust in the
institutions of power. A total of 14 per cent of those polled trust the State
Duma [parliament's lower chamber] and 46 per cent mistrust it. A total of 24
per cent trust the government and 32 per cent mistrust it.

(According to on-screen information, the poll was conducted among 1,500
respondents at 56 population areas in 29 regions of Russia on 27th-28th March
2000.)

The Sunday Times (UK)
Inside Moscow
By Mark Franchetti

Puppet satire has Putin spitting blood

Crime may rise and the rouble may fall, but nothing infuriates Moscow's
political elite so much as Kukly, the Russian equivalent of Spitting Image.
Boris Yeltsin, the former president, is said to have hated the Sunday night
television satire so much that he refused to watch it. Now Kremlin aides of
Vladimir Putin, his successor, take it so seriously that they have warned the
producers to tone down their sketches where he is concerned.

The latest dispute between the programme makers and the public figures they
portray was prompted by an elaborate 20-minute sketch in which leading
politicians were presented as prostitutes flirting with Putin.

Gennady Seleznyov, the Speaker of the Duma, the lower house of parliament,
and Yuri Luzhkov, the mayor of Moscow, appeared as rival madams vying for a
kerb-crawling Putin's custom. Putin chose to favour Seleznyov, and crammed
his limousine with political allies in full make-up and drag.

Kukly's scriptwriters said they were simply mocking the alacrity with which
some of Putin's opponents rushed to support him shortly before he was
elected. They claimed the sketch was inspired by Vladimir Lenin, father of
the 1917 revolution, who likened Russia's politicians to prostitutes.

Duma deputies were not amused. Some responded with demands for the programme
to be banned. Others called for a parliamentary commission to "evaluate"
Kukly, with a view to seeing what could be done about it.

NTV, the independent channel that broadcasts Kukly, is also coming under
financial pressure from state creditors. Critics believe that Kremlin
officials, who loathe NTV's impartial news reports, may be trying to muzzle
it.

"People from the Kremlin have dropped heavy hints," said Vasili Grigoryev,
Kukly's senior producer. "We have been told to be more balanced and to avoid
creating a scandal every week. But we are not going to change anything.

"Our audience is almost as large as the number of people who voted for Putin,
so there are quite a few Russians with a sense of humour."

Arresting by numbers

Major Nikolai Zelenko of the Moscow Metro police reckons he's found the
solution to law-and-

order problems on the city's underground. He recently ordered officers to
arrest 100 people each in the next 10 days.

Similar quotas are being issued on the streets. Each beat officer must arrest
800 people a year. With 10,000 police on patrol, 8m people - four-fifths of
the population - can expect to be detained.

Zelenko may soon be feeling rather lonely.

Bride's latest flame

It was a Soviet tradition that newly married couples would visit one of two
famous Moscow landmarks on their wedding day: the Lenin hills, from which the
entire capital can be seen; or a flame that burns in memory of an unknown
soldier outside the Kremlin.

In more materialistic times, some brides and grooms are bound to prefer a
less patriotic landmark. Ikea, the Swedish furniture shop, attracted a bride
in full wedding dress and her entire party on its opening day last month.

Clamour for the slammer

An unemployed geographer was so impressed with the quality of Swiss jails he
saw on television that he has offered to serve any prison sentence handed
down to Pavel Borodin, a former Kremlin property manager who is wanted in
Switzerland on corruption charges.

While Borodin has refused to be questioned by Swiss investigators, Alexander
Zabegailo, 42, has written to a Moscow newspaper asking to be extradited in
his place.

"In prison they will feed me and provide me with medical assistance. I would
have time to study German and work on a computer," he wrote.

"It's much better," he concluded, "than a life of freedom in Russia."

Car wrecks have been hoisted on poles next to some of Moscow's busiest roads
as a warning to drivers to slow down. The city authorities claim that after
only one month, the initiative has reduced accidents.

One driver, however, is unimpressed. He was so amazed to see a wreck
suspended over the road that he couldn't take his eyes off it - and crashed
into the vehicle in front.

Vladimir Putin may have thought his first-round election victory last month
augured well for his presidency. Some of Russia's leading astrologers
disagree.

According to them, Putin, a Libran, has a dangerous link between the sun and
Saturn, which makes him likely to be violent.

Just as well, then, that he has a "weak Jupiter". "That means he won't be
president for long," they say.