March 25, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4196  4197   4198

1. Itar-Tass: Candidates Take Breather Before RUSSIA'S
Sunday Polls.

2. AFP: Vladivostok voters expect little change after Russian
presidential vote.

3. The Times (UK): Giles Whittell, Corruption 'scandal' haunts
Putin's future.

4. Reuters: Foreign observers seek clean Russian vote.
5. Itar-Tass: Manual Issued for Observers of RUSSIA'S Polls.
6. Vladimir Lissniak: In response to Kitty Dolan's Machiavelli
Quote. (re legal education)

7. Financial Times (UK): Putin's young Rasputins: Andrew Jack
finds Russia's acting president relying on image-makers more than
policy advisers.

8. Newsday: Tim McDaniel, A Plebescite with a Phantom Public.
9. The Guardian (UK) editorial: When the winning is easy.
Running Russia will be the difficult bit.

10. New York Times: Michael Gordon, Russian TV Network Ties
Putin Rival to Jews, Gays and Foreigners. (Yavlinsky)

11. Los Angeles Times: Mayerbek Nunayev and Richard Paddock,
Systematic Plundering of Chechnya Reported.]

Candidates Take Breather Before RUSSIA'S Sunday Polls.

MOSCOW, March 25 (Itar-Tass) - Most of 11 candidates for Russian president
take a breather on Saturday, the last day before March 26 presidential
elections.

With campaigning and advertisement banned 24 hours ahead of voting, they are
set to relax and communicate with families.

Film-maker and State Duma deputy Stanislav Govorukhin, whose name is first on
ballots, told Itar-Tass that he was going to go to his countryside house in
the village of Snegiri to engage in his hobby, the painting of studies
outdoors.

Umar Dzhabrailov, manager of Moscow's Radisson-Slavjanskaya Hotel, said he
would have a rest in Saturday or probably would go out to some get-together
"related to high life".

A spokesman at campaign headquarters of Vladimir Zhirinovskly, leader of the
Liberal Democratic Party and its faction in the State Duma, told Itar-Tass
that he returns from a campaign tour on Saturday and plans no "special
functions --Vladimir Volfovich will simply have a rest".

Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov will convene a meeting of his
campaign headquarters before to attend a football match of Spartak, Moscow,
and Alania, North Ossetia on Saturday night.

Ella Pamfilova, who is the sole woman among presidential candidates, said she
wanted to give the day to her family.

"I will have a good sleep, get the house in order, comb all emotions and
thoughts, communicate with the granddaughter," she told Itar-Tass by the
phone.

Alexei Podberyozkin, leader of Spiritual Heritage group, will divide his day
between the family and some work at his campaign headquarters.

Acting President Vladimir Putin was expected to spend Saturday in his work
place.

Suspended Russian Prosecutor-General Yury Skuratov meets international
observers and works in his campaign headquarters.

A spokesman at the headquarters of Samara regional governor Konstantin Titov
told Itar-Tass that he was going to have a walk on Samara's embankment with
his granddaughter and "breath the Volga".

Kemerovo regional governor Aman Tuleyev is most likely to attend to his work
routine.

Grigory Yavlinsky, leader of the Yabloko movement, who is the last on
ballots, was going to watch the Spartak-Alania match.

Vladivostok voters expect little change after Russian presidential vote

VLADIVOSTOK, Russia, March 25 (AFP) -
Russians in the crumbling port of Vladivostok will be among the first to vote
in Sunday's presidential election, but few in the Far East believe the
outcome will help them in their struggle to survive.

With the local government paralysed by corruption and officials answering to
mafia interests, the majority of factories stand silent, workers are not paid
for months on end and heat and electricity are hard to come by even in the
frigid winter months.

Some 7,000 kilometers (4,400 miles) from the Kremlin, few in Vladivostok
believe presidential politics will have much affect on bringing the home of
Russia's Pacific fleet back to life.

Viktor Cherepkov, a popular former mayor who was sacked by Moscow in December
1998, swept his arm over a hillside view of the quiet port on the eve of the
election.

"There used to be hundreds, even thousands, of ships moving in and out of
this harbor, not only during the Soviet period but as late as 1994. Today
this has all died away," Cherepkov said with a sad shake of his head.

The former mayor doesn't hold out much hope that the outcome of a
presidential campaign centered seven time zones away in Moscow can influence
life here.

"Real power in the Primorsky region is in the hands of bandits," he said.
"Under such a condition, decisions and any plans are directed toward the
interests of the criminal world."

Though Sunday's front-runner, former KGB spy Vladimir Putin, has made the
need to introduce a strong state in order to smash the power of the mafia and
wipe out corruption a cornerstone of his campaign, few believe the long-arm
of the Kremlin can reach the Far East.

Putin was charged with ending corruption as former head of the Federal
Security Service (former KGB) also, but nothing changed, Cherepkov said.

But Putin supporters counter that the acting president has already given the
local economy a boost.

"We have many military-industrial enterprises that weren't working, and Putin
has increased state orders by one-and-a-half times, which will encourage
production," said Alexander Troitsky, who works on Putin's campaign.

Yet a long road lies ahead if the region is to return to its long-past glory
days.

During the Soviet period, half the region's factories worked in the
military-industrial complex. Today their production makes up less than one
percent of the local economy, said Vladimir Sozinov, first vice president of
the regional economics and planning committee.

Sozinov believes the federal government's main task should be to provide
cheap energy and transport to keep the Far East connected to European Russia.

The federal government "has signed a series of protocols, but all this
remains on paper," he said.

Judging from the campaign, virtually none of the candidates has much interest
in the Far East.

Of the 11 candidates, only former general prosecutor Yury Skuratov even
bothered to campaign in the region, home to 2.5 million voters.

In a region where Putin's Unity bloc received wide support during the
parliamentary elections in December, many locals said they were not planning
to vote on Sunday.

Among those who will go to the polls, support was mixed and did not reflect
the high ratings Putin has received in national polls.

Two days before the poll, Antonina Kudinova, who repairs elevators for the
city, was undecided.

"My son says, 'Mama, vote for (liberal Yabloko leader Grigory) Yavlinsky.' My
daughter is for (Communist Party leader Gennady) Zyuganov and I'm looking at
Putin, but I don't know," she said.

"Mama, Putin is Yeltsin's appointee and under him nothing will change," her
daughter, Svetlana, interrupted.

After nine years under Yeltsin, Kudinova's prospects, like those of most of
Vladivostok's 800,000 residents, have worsened -- she hasn't been paid in
three months and her apartment, like most in the city is heated only to just
above freezing.

"Under the Communists, we lived well. We could raise our children, quality
food was cheap or free, education was free and we could travel," she recalled
nostalgically.

Meanwhile Sozinov, banging on his wooden desk, said problems with heating and
electricity should not be exaggerated. "This year no one froze."

The Times (UK)
March 25 2000
[for personal use only]
Corruption 'scandal' haunts Putin's future
FROM GILES WHITTELL IN MOSCOW

VLADIMIR PUTIN was the focus yesterday of corruption allegations that will do
little to alter the result of tomorrow's presidential election but could
haunt his crucial early months in power.

Even as Mr Putin vowed to use his former KGB colleagues to tackle corruption,
one of his rivals accused him of squandering public money while he was deputy
mayor of St Petersburg and predicted that the scandal, which has simmered for
years, could lead to impeachment charges within the year.

The acting President, who is all but certain to run Russia for the next four
years, has already been accused of losing track of £7 million in a botched
scheme to feed St Petersburg during Russia's financial crisis of 1991-92. On
Thursday a Moscow newspaper linked him to another £2.5 million that
disappeared from the city's funds over the next four years, and claimed that
a grateful building firm had built him a £37,000 lakeside dacha. Yesterday
Yuri Skuratov, Russia's suspended prosecutor-general, said that Mr Putin's
name was on a list of senior corrupt officials which he plans to publish
after the election.

In a recent interview with The Times, the head of Mr Putin's campaign staff
rejected the allegations swirling round the acting President as "artificially
inflated" and "due simply to the election". There is little doubt that the
latest claims are politically timed - some were published in the staunchly
liberal Novaya Gazeta newspaper, while Mr Skuratov is himself a presidential
candidate - but they are too precise to be ignored.

Starting in 1993, according to Novaya Gazeta, Mr Putin, then head of St
Petersburg's "Committee for External Relations", lobbied hard for a proposal
by the 20th Trest building firm to build a giant business centre on the
city's outskirts. Thanks to him, the city granted the firm a £55,000 loan at
minimal interest at a time of hyperinflation.

Mr Putin approved further credits to the same firm totalling £2.5 million.
Less than a tenth of the money went on city-approved projects, Interior
Ministry investigators believe, with the rest going via a series of Spanish
banks to fund a 64-unit apartment hotel in the Spanish resort of Torrevieja.
The St Petersburg business centre was never built and the loan was never
repaid, the investigators claim.

The inquiry into 20th Trest - number 144128 in the Interior Ministry's files
- is continuing, though Novaya Gazeta claimed this week that detectives
assigned to the case had recently said that they feared for their lives.

A separate investigation into Mr Putin's role in a 1991-92 fiasco involving
his granting of export licences to dubious local companies was dropped when
it recommended that he be dismissed.

Yesterday the former colonel in the KGB - whose successor body is the FSB -
said that he planned to use other former spies to target Russia's corruption.
"I am bringing into my inner circle people from law enforcement bodies," Mr
Putin told the American ABC channel. "I have known them for many years and I
trust them. It has nothing to do with ideology. It's only a matter of their
professional qualities and personal relationships."

Attempting to make light of the problem of corruption, which has alarmed
Western investors since the August 1998 financial crash, he called it a
question of failing "to guarantee equal opportunities for all participants in
the market".

Mr Putin's enemies are lining up to accuse him of having unequal access to St
Petersburg's volatile market in the early and mid-1990s, and some fear it
could be dangerous work. "I fear for our journalists' safety," Novaya
Gazeta's editor said yesterday. "Putin has brought all his FSB cronies down
from St Petersburg, but our team is stronger than his. The Russian
intelligentsia will never die."

Foreign observers seek clean Russian vote
By Michael Steen

MOSCOW, March 24 (Reuters) - International observers set to check that ballot
boxes do not get stuffed with fake votes in Russia's impending presidential
election said on Friday they hoped their presence would ensure a clean vote.

But the Communist candidate for Sunday's election warned against massive
electoral fraud in some regions and an experienced election monitor told
Reuters the conduct of the campaign had been worrying.

Acting President Vladimir Putin is widely predicted to win the ballot, with
opinion poll ratings of more than double those of his closest rival,
Communist Party leader Gennady Zyuganov.

Zyuganov told a group of observers from the Organisation for Security and
Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) that they should be on their guard in a series
of regions including Bashkortostan and Tatarstan in the Urals.

``In these regions we know the result will be fixed,'' Zyuganov said, adding
that there had been infringements during December's State Duma lower house of
parliament election.

The OSCE said at the time the election had been conducted more or less
fairly, with only minor violations.

The Central Election Commission said around 1,000 foreign observers had been
given permission to visit polling stations across Russia's vast landmass
during voting on Sunday.

But the election monitor told Reuters that the main question of electoral
fairness hinged on the pre-election campaign conducted on television.

The great majority of Russia's 108 million voters rely on partly state-owned
ORT and RTR television as their single source of news and information.

Putin declined formally to campaign in recent weeks, but has received
wall-to-wall coverage on RTR and ORT news programmes as he undertook what the
Kremlin called working trips to regions, on one occasion flying to separatist
Chechnya in a jet fighter.

``The Duma elections were truly the filthiest elections that I've ever seen.
These ones have been rather better but there have been deteriorations in
recent days which is rather worrying,'' said the election monitor, who asked
not to be named.

ORT broadcast three separate reports attacking leading liberal candidate
Grigory Yavlinsky on Thursday, one of which said Yavlinsky illegally took
money from Western backers, which his office has denied.

In a country where anti-semitism and homophobia can be found, ORT also showed
groups of Jews and homosexuals expressing their support for Yavlinsky.

CHECHNYA VOTE CRITICISED

Heinrich Pichler, the political affairs officer for the OSCE election
observation unit, said he had not seen the ORT broadcast but he viewed it as
an exception in an otherwise relatively clean campaign.

He said the OSCE aimed to monitor polling stations across Russia, but had not
sent anyone to Chechnya due to security concerns in the war-torn region.

Sergei Kovalyov, a Russian rights campaigner, told Ekho Moskvy radio that
holding elections in a warzone such as Chechnya broke Russian law.

The OSCE's 300-strong group of observers includes several dozen European
parliamentarians who on Friday met candidates' representatives and election
commission officials.

One observer, Belgian Christian Democrat parliamentarian Pieter De Crem, said
it was important for the OSCE to watch the elections to help Russia to become
a stable democracy.

``Russia is still the great unknown to Western Europe and the the Western
world,'' he said. ``In a few years we need to see an adult political system
here that can compete with our own and guarantee stability.''

Manual Issued for Observers of RUSSIA'S Polls. .

MOSCOW, March 25 (Itar-Tass) - The Europe mission of the Organisation for
Security and Cooperation in Europe/Bureau for Democracy Institutions and
Human Rights has issued a manual for international observers who will monitor
Russia's presidential elections on March 26, a spokesperson for the mission's
Moscow office told Itar-Tass.

The manual's circulation is 400,000. The office's deputy chief Linda
Edgeworth said the manual's section one presents general information on
Russia's pre-election situation.

She said this sections lays out the political and economic situation,
features of Russian mass media, campaigning techniques, brief profiles of
presidential candidates and their platforms, and the role of international
observers in the elections.

Section two contains instructions for observers, or what they should do
during the election day and vote counting.