March 21, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4185  4186 4187

1. Itar-Tass: Elections in Russia to Be Monitored by Over
800 Observers.

2. Reuters: Gareth Jones, Economy seen driving Putin foreign
policy.

3. Yasushi Toda: Putin's memoirs.
4. Izvestia: Sergei Antipov, A FAMILY OF PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES:
TULEYEV - DAD, PAMFILOVA - MOM, PUTIN - ELDER BROTHER.

5. Bloomberg: Russia's Chubais on Support for Putin as President.
6. Moscow Tribune: Stanislav Menshikov, RIDING THE BOOM OR
KILLING IT? Don't Strangle the Goose That Lays the Golden Egg.

7. Dan Cisek: RE: 4179-Wedel/Tainted Transactions.
8. Bloomberg: Russia's Khakamada on Investment Barriers, Taxation.
9. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Wide gulf bared as Russia admits
a Chechnya massacre.

10. Washington Post: David Hoffman, Putin's Future Russia May
Resemble the Soviet Past.

11. AFP: Duma Maintains Tough Stance On Ratification Of START II.]

Elections in Russia to Be Monitored by Over 800 Observers.

MOSCOW, March 20 (Itar-Tass) - Over 800 international observers will
monitor presidential elections in Russia on March 26, informed diplomatic
sources told Itar-Tass on Monday.

They said 860 representatives of foreign countries have been registered as
international observers, but, as the diplomats stressed, there is will along
cue of applicants.

The sources noted that representatives of the Council of Europe, the
Organisation foR Security and Cooperation in Europe, the European Parliament
and various international institutes and organisations will arrive in Russia
as international observers.

On the whole, there will be representatives from 53 countries and 65
organisations, they said.

The sources said the OSCE Bureau for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights
has opened a long-term mission in"Russia and other organisations will open
short-term missions.

Economy seen driving Putin foreign policy
By Gareth Jones

MOSCOW, March 21 (Reuters) - Lord Palmerston, a 19th century British prime
minister, used to say Britain had no permanent friends, only permanent
interests.

Substitute Russia for Britain and you have a succinct summary of Acting
President Vladimir Putin's hard-nosed approach to foreign affairs, political
analysts say.

Gone are the days of back-slapping, first-name diplomacy championed by Boris
Yeltsin, Putin's predecessor and patron, who set great store by his personal
friendship with various world leaders whom he liked to meet informally
``without neckties.''

In comes a cool, courteous but tough and much more focused approach which
seeks above all to promote Russia's economic and business interests, analysts
say.

In recent weeks, foreign visitors including U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine
Albright and British Prime Minister Tony Blair have beaten a path to Putin's
door hoping to get to know the ex-KGB spy tipped to win the March 26
presidential election.

In public, at least, they have given Putin the thumbs-up, saying he is a
pragmatic reformer who wants to put Russia's frayed ties with the West firmly
back on track.

Analysts broadly agree with that estimate but say Putin will be no pushover
and will vigorously defend what he sees as Russia's interests, as his stance
on rebel Chechnya has shown.

RUSSIA'S ECONOMY COMES FIRST

``Under Yeltsin foreign policy sometimes seemed a function of his
personality. With Putin, I expect efforts to put our foreign policy on a
clearer, sounder basis,'' said Viktor Kremenyuk of the USA and Canada
Institute.

``Of course, Putin will be ready to make concessions but always for something
in return. There will be plenty of contacts but never contacts just for their
own sake,'' he added.

Sergei Karaganov of the Institute of Europe agreed.

``Putin is much more focused on the economy and building up foreign economic
relations. He wants to integrate Russia into the new world economy. That will
include creating better conditions for foreign investors,'' he said.

The analysts' comments are borne out by Putin's own words.

Although he has not published a detailed election manifesto, Putin issued an
open letter to the Russian electorate late last month in which he said
foreign policy priorities should be dictated by the need to rebuild Russia's
still shaky economy.

``A country where weakness and poverty reign cannot be strong. Our role in
world affairs, our well-being and our new rights are contingent on whether we
manage to tackle our own domestic problems,'' Putin wrote.

``Russian foreign policy should promote national interests. The real,
especially economic, interests of the country alone should determine what
Russian diplomats do,'' he said.

PUTIN SEEN CAUTIOUS BUT OPEN TO WEST

Opinion polls suggest Putin could win a landslide victory in the election,
which would untie his hands to mend long strained ties with the West, the
main source of future foreign investment.

He already enjoys a much stronger domestic political position than Yeltsin,
who throughout his presidency had to contend with a hostile parliament
dominated by Communists and nationalists. A majority of deputies in the newly
elected State Duma (lower house) broadly backs Putin.

Even under Yeltsin, an unusual degree of unanimity existed on foreign policy
issues in his later years in power, with Russians across the political
spectrum rallying to condemn NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia and to defend
Moscow's own military campaign against guerrillas in rebel Chechnya.

Putin, who took the helm when Yeltsin resigned on December 31, has fiercely
defended the Chechen war against Western criticism but has often tempered his
remarks by saying foreign leaders have not been properly informed about the
conflict.

He has said Russia and the West face common threats in the form of Islamic
fundamentalism, international terrorism and drug trafficking and has urged
greater cooperation in fighting them.

Under Putin, Russia has cautiously reopened talks with NATO, nearly a year
after suspending them in protest at the alliance's air raids against its Slav
brethren in Yugoslavia.

Recently Putin even mooted the possibility of Russia joining NATO one day as
an equal partner, although he later said the alliance would have to evolve
into a very different organisation to the one that bombed Yugoslavia before
that could happen.

NATO ENLARGEMENT STILL CLOUDS TIES

NATO's continued eastward enlargement is set to be a key foreign policy issue
for the next occupant of the Kremlin.

Russia protested against the last wave which admitted Poland, Hungary and the
Czech Republic but finally bowed to the inevitable. Bulgaria, Romania,
Slovakia, Slovenia and, more controversially, the Baltic states are hoping to
join next.

Nobody expects Moscow to drop its opposition but some experts say Putin may
move to smooth ties with new NATO members.

``It is proposed that Vladimir Putin will pay special attention to improving
relations with the new NATO members, above all with Poland,'' the PIR
think-tank wrote in its latest monthly ``Questions of Security'' bulletin.

It said Russia might be ready to move from its ``persistent efforts to
vindicate its viewpoint regardless of its relevance...to the tactics of tacit
disagreement.'' In other words, less sound and fury, more behind-the-scenes
pressure.

In the late Yeltsin period, the Kremlin gave much weight to building closer
ties with countries like China and India.

Analysts say Putin would have no illusions that China could somehow replace
the West as Russia's key economic partner but he might try to use Moscow's
much improved relations with Beijing as a bargaining tool in his dealings
with Washington. The analysts rejected talk of any military alliance with
China.

OTHER PROBLEMS LOOM

If elected, Putin is expected to visit China and Japan. Analysts say he would
probably prefer to visit Europe first, especially Germany -- Moscow's biggest
Western lender and a country Putin knows well from his KGB days.

But that could hinge on an April meeting of the Council of Europe which may
decide to suspend Russia because of Chechnya.

Other minefields abound. Russia remains strongly opposed to U.S. plans to
deploy a national anti-missile defence system which Moscow says would
undermine the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) treaty and the global nuclear
security system.

Russia is also angry about U.S. efforts to halt its nuclear cooperation with
Iran, still regarded by Washington as a rogue state. It insists its
cooperation is confined to civil projects.

``The disagreements will continue but they will be kept under reasonable
control. Putin is too much of a pragmatist,'' said Andrei Ryabov of the
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

He said the Duma should soon ratify the START-2 treaty sharply cutting
nuclear arsenals on both sides after years of delay, creating impetus for a
fresh round of arms reduction talks which could further improve the East-West
climate.

But not all analysts were so upbeat about Putin and about the West's apparent
willingness to embrace him.

Andrei Piontkovsky of the Centre for Strategic Studies said he believed Putin
would improve ties with the West but that he would also crack down on
Russia's hard-won democratic freedoms.

``Putin will invite in foreign investors,'' he said. ``And in return, the
West will turn a blind eye to human rights abuses.''