February 17, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4113 4114 4115

1. Obshchaya Gazeta: PUBLIC OPINION POLL: TOUGH RULE MEANS...
2. Reuters: Soccer-Spartak captain wants to leave Russia because of crime.
3. Moscow Times: Pavel Felgenhauer, War Criminals Bury Grudge.(re Russia and NATO)
4. the eXile: Boris Kagarlitsky, Welcome to the Banana Republic.
5. BBC MONITORING: RUSSIAN THINK TANK PONDERS THREE ECONOMIC STRATEGIES. (Mikhail Berger in Segodnya)
6. Boston Globe: Brian Whitmore, Russian promises expose. (Skuratov)
7. The Independent (UK): Patrick Cockburn, Russia's filtration camp policy is 'to cripple Chechens for life'. Captured male and female civilians tortured and raped by masked soldiers.
8. Pavel Baev: PUTIN'S HONEYMOON COMING TO THE END.
9. Argumenty i Fakty: Vitaly TSEPLYAYEV, AN ALTERNATIVE TO PUTIN. Russia's Communist No. One Ready to Run for President.
10. Ben Brodkin: Soviet dissidents.]

Obshchaya Gazeta No. 7
[translation from RIA Novosti for personal use only]
PUBLIC OPINION POLL
The results of the poll conducted among visitors to the
Obshchaya Gazeta web-site from February 9 to February 16, 2000
(percent).

TOUGH RULE MEANS:

(1) Supremacy of the state over
the individual - 20.7%
(2) Rule of law and order - 34.1%
(3) Limits on constitutional freedoms - 17.8%
(4) Persecution of dissidents - 11.9%
(5) Absence of public control over
special services - 8.9%
(6) Various other answers - 6.6%

Soccer-Spartak captain wants to leave Russia because of crime

MOSCOW, Feb 17 (Reuters) - Spartak Moscow captain Andrei Tikhonov has said he
wants to leave Russia because of crime.

The 29-year-old midfielder had his jeep stolen on Sunday and was quoted on
Thursday as saying he now wants to move abroad.

``I'm leaving Russia to play abroad. I no longer want to fear for my family
every single day,'' he told Russian daily Sport-Express.

Tikhonov's jeep was stolen near his house in suburban Moscow after his wife
had left the car and their 18-month-old baby boy inside for just a moment to
open the gate.

According to police, the thief jumped into the car and threw the baby out as
he drove away.

Tikhonov is in Turkey where Spartak are having a two-week pre-season training
camp.

Several years ago, then Spartak captain Viktor Onopko cited crime as his
primary motive for leaving Russia after his car had been stolen.

``The stolen jeep was the last straw in my decision to leave,'' Onopko said
at the time before joining Spanish first division side Oviedo in 1996.

Moscow Times
February 17, 2000
DEFENSE DOSSIER: War Criminals Bury Grudge
By Pavel Felgenhauer

Less than a year after Western powers began a bombing campaign against
Yugoslavia, Russia and NATO decided to bury the hatchet and be friends again.
NATO's secretary general, George Robertson, came to Moscow on Tuesday to meet
Russian acting President Vladimir Putin, to palm press with top Russian
generals and to "unfreeze" previously stalled relations.

NATO's military actions in the Balkans are still very much a bone of
contention between NATO and Russia. But today Russia is itself fighting a war
in Chechnya that is even more dirty than NATO's Balkans aggression. So the
Kremlin needs any token gesture of support from the West it can get.

In the beginning of the war in Chechnya the going was relatively easy.
Russian forces took over a number of Chechen towns without much fighting. But
by the end of December Russian forces attacked Grozny with an onslaught of
heavy shells and bombs.

Today Grozny is a ghost city of smoking rubble where several hundred thousand
survivors of this and the last war still cower in cellars. They hide there
terrified by the savage bombardments, harassed and often killed by marauding
Russian troops.

After the rebels broke out of Grozny, they passed through several villages in
southwest Chechnya. The Russian forces followed the rebels and attacked
village after village. Chechen refugees say entire villages were razed in
these revenge attacks and hundreds of civilians killed or wounded.

The Russian pro-government ORT television last week showed one of these
reprisal attacks: the bombing of Gekhi-Chu, a large village southwest of
Grozny. The footage displayed TOS-1 multiple missile launchers lobbing
rockets into Gekhi-Chu. Several days later Reuters distributed footage
showing the results of the attack on the town: houses destroyed, scores of
civilians killed.

TOS-1 rockets are filled by a flammable liquid that causes aerosol explosions
at impact, killing people, destroying property and causing fires. TOS means
"heavy fire-throwing system." There is evidence that TOS-1 was used against
Grozny and other Chechen regions. The third protocol of the 1980 Geneva
Convention - signed and ratified by Russia - forbids the use of such
"air-delivered incendiary weapons."

Reprisal attacks on villages and the use of TOS-1, to say nothing of the
Tochka-U ballistic missiles, are war crimes. Tochka-U can fly 120 kilometers
and can cover up to seven hectares with cluster shrapnel on impact. The
Tochka-U was used against Grozny, Shali, Alkhan-Kala and other Chechen towns.
During the first Chechen war in 1994-96 such weapons were not used. This time
Putin authorized attacks that inflict mass destruction on civilians.

Today there seems enough evidence to indict Putin and his top general for war
crimes. It is understandable that such conditions would lead Putin to make a
friend in NATO and get tacit support from the West for his continued
Caucasian bloodbath. But why was NATO Secretary General Robertson so eager to
offer support? Maybe because Robertson is also a war criminal.

Recently the New York-based Human Rights Watch group published a report on
the Balkans war confirming that NATO bombs killed hundreds of civilians in
Yugoslavia and Kosovo and that some of NATO's attacks were deliberately
directed against civilian targets.

The report also says the United States stopped using their internationally
outlawed cluster bombs during the Balkans campaign because of civilian
casualties, but that Britain continued to use them. Robertson was the British
defense minister during the war. Of course, NATO itself did not conduct any
official investigation of crimes against civilians during the bombing in
former Yugoslavia and does not plan to do so.

NATO's aggression against Yugoslavia convinced the Russian government and
Russian public that international law does not mean anything and that brute
military force is the only true argument. It is no surprise that the Kremlin
decided to invade Chechnya last March when NATO bombs began to fall, and that
today Kremlin and the military have in essence scrapped the Geneva
conventions on warfare.

On Wednesday war criminals from West and East met in Moscow. Most likely they
represented figures from a new security order for Europe: We bomb the
Balkans, you bomb the Caucasus and we'll all respect each others' right to
bomb civilians in fringe regions when we wish.

Pavel Felgenhauer is an independent defense analyst based in Moscow.

********