February 6, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4092

1. AP: Charges in Russia Journalist Slaying. (Dmitry Kholodov)
2. AP: New Russian Doctrine Includes West.
3. Moscow Times: Jonas Bernstein, Property Means State Power.
4. The Independent (UK): Chechnya's civilians put to the sword. By Paul Wood on the Chechen Border.
5. Branko Milanovic: Electoral Fraud.
6. Jim Vail: Newsweek article. (re Orthodox Christians)
7. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Yekaterina GRIGORYEVA and Olga TROPKINA, REGIONS STAND TO LOSE SOVEREIGNTY, YELTSIN'S PRESENT. MPs Hard Put Formulating Subject of Two Chambers' Discussion.
8. Robert Bruce Ware: Was There a Kremlin Conspiracy in the Caucasus?]

Charges in Russia Journalist Slaying
The Associated Press
Feb. 5, 2000

MOSCOW Russian prosecutors have charged five paratroop officers and a
security guard in the 1994 slaying of a Russian journalist, news reports
said Saturday.

The six men are charged with killing Dmitry Kholodov, a 27-year-old
journalist for the outspoken daily Moskovsky Komsomolets. Kholodov was
investigating military corruption when a briefcase supposedly provided by
an informant exploded in his hands and killed him. The newspaper said the
explosion was connected to Kholodov's investigations.

The killing attracted nationwide attention, and the case was taken on by
the Prosecutor General's office, the country's top prosecutor. That office
has now turned the case over to Moscow central military court for trial,
the daily Kommersant and ITAR-Tass news agency reported Saturday. No trial
date has been set.

The Prosecutor General's office and the military court would not confirm
the reports.

The motive for the killing was "career advancement," Kommersant said.
Russian media have suggested the suspects were trying to protect or impress
superiors accused of corruption. Journalists have criticized prosecutors'
delay in wrapping up the case, saying it reflects the government's
inability or unwillingness to solve Russia's frequent contract killings.

The five soldiers charged in Kholodov's case are retired Col. Pavel
Popovskhikh, former head of intelligence in the paratroop forces; former
paratroop officer Konstantin Mirzoyants; and paratroop intelligence
officers Vladimir Morozov, Alexander Soroka and one identified only by his
last name, Barkovsky, ITAR-Tass reported. The report did not give the
security guard's name.

New Russian Doctrine Includes West
The Associated Press
Feb. 5, 2000

MOSCOW Russia's new national military doctrine does not preclude forming
partnerships with the West, a top general said Saturday.

The presidential Security Council adopted the new doctrine on Friday,
replacing a doctrine drawn up in 1993.

Acting President Vladimir Putin said at the council meeting that the new
doctrine was prompted in part by NATO's new concept allowing it to make
military decisions without approval of the U.N. Security Council.

Col. Gen. Valery Manilov, deputy chief of the Russian General Staff, told
NTV television that the idea of forming partnerships is a "thread through
the entire content of the military doctrine."

"Russia sees all world states as its partners in the cause of ensuring
stability of international security and peace, except for states that
harbor aggressive plans, and are trying to realize them and are acting
outside the boundaries of the U.N. Charter," Manilov said.

Adoption of the new military doctrine follows the approval last month of a
new national security doctrine, which broadened the Kremlin's authority to
use nuclear weapons and accused the United States of trying to weaken
Russia and become the world's dominant power.

At that time, Manilov also claimed that the security doctrine included
plans for expanding partnership with the West. But NATO officials who have
seen the document described it as having a much more aggressive and
confrontational tone than its predecessor. However, security experts have
pointed out that the new stress on nuclear weapons sounds like NATO's own
doctrine.

The new Russian military doctrine still needs to be signed by Russia's
president to become law. Manilov told a news conference on Friday that the
document should be ready in a month.

Beside NATO and the United States, Russia is also worried about the threat
of Islamic militants, who are battling Russian troops in rebel Chechnya and
are feuding with the governments of several former Soviet republics in
Central Asia, Putin said.
New Russian Doctrine Includes West

The Associated Press
Saturday, Feb. 5, 2000; 6:01 a.m. EST

[...]

Moscow Times
February 5, 2000
PARTY LINES: Property Means State Power
By Jonas Bernstein

With opposition journalists starting to disappear - or being "disappeared," È
la Latin America of old - it might seem late in the day to start rehashing
the issue of why Russian reform failed, and how the West contributed to the
failure.

It is anything but pointless. If Russia is now moving on an overtly
anti-democratic path, it is not a detour, but a natural consequence of
decisions taken during the Yeltsin years - and made with the approval, or at
least acquiescence, of the West. Worse still, the emerging consensus on what
went wrong is drawing precisely the wrong conclusions.

The new conventional wisdom, which has become the central tenet of acting
President Vladimir Putin's otherwise vague ideology, is that Russia needs a
"strong state" - meaning that, since 1991, it has been weak. The theme is a
favorite of Putin's mentor, Anatoly Chubais, and International Monetary Fund
director Michel Camdessus touched on it this week. The outgoing IMF chief,
apparently trying to justify his less-than-stellar record vis-È-vis Russia,
said one of the reasons it had been so hard to help Russia "rebuild itself"
after the fall of the Soviet Union was the fact that central power extended
"not very far beyond the walls of the Kremlin."

The "weak state" theory may be useful for faux liberals like Putin and
Chubais, who yearn to "consolidate power." But it is a red herring. Camdessus
notwithstanding, what is striking about the Russian state post-1991 is how
much it is like its Soviet predecessor. Just take, for example, the Kremlin's
"property department," whose former head, Pavel Borodin, this week became a
wanted man in Switzerland.

The creation of the Kremlin property department was a conscious attempt not
to reform the Soviet-era state apparatus, but to co-opt it. It came into
being in 1993, when Yeltsin issued two decrees legalizing the Kremlin's
nationalization of the property that had belonged to the Soviet Communist
Party. The value of that property is a matter of debate: In an interview last
year, Borodin bragged that it was worth $600 billion (yes, billion). While
that seems high, it is worth noting that the Kremlin refurbishment contracts
with the Swiss firm Mabetex alone cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

In any case, the Kremlin's property empire includes 3 million square meters
of office space in Moscow, including the Kremlin, the White House, the State
Duma and the Federation Council buildings; regional government installations,
dachas and rest homes, apartments, hotels, hospitals and medical centers
throughout Russia; various businesses, in agriculture, construction, etc.;
the government airline company Rossiya; and Russian property in 78 countries
(worth $50 billion, according to Borodin).

Did Camdessus & Co. ever ask Yeltsin & Co. whether it was appropriate in an
emerging market democracy for the president's office to own such things as
the Tavriya fitness complex in Yalta, the Kirov Yusengi Holiday Hotel in
Kabardino-Balkaria and a furniture factory? The real issue, of course, was
not economic efficacy, but political control. The Yeltsin administration used
this "distribution system" to supply housing and other privileges to the
12,000 top state and government officials from all branches of government, in
exactly the way the same property was used to service - and control - the
Soviet Communist Party nomenklatura.

This distribution system further undermined the separation of powers, which
were already weak thanks to the constitution adopted in 1993, to the applause
of the Yeltsin administration's Western patrons. One need only recall the
April 1998 parliamentary debate over whether to confirm Sergei Kiriyenko as
prime minister, when Yeltsin told State Duma deputies that he had ordered
Borodin to take care of their "needs" if they showed "a constructive
approach" to the confirmation vote.

Whatever Putin's plans may be for reforming the state, they apparently don't
include the Kremlin property empire. In fact - surprise, surprise - he
recently appointed Vladimir Kozhin, an old associate from St. Petersburg, to
head it. Nor has Putin said anything about cutting the size of the state
bureaucracy - even though it grew, according to Kiriyenko, by 1.2 million
people from 1992 to 1997.

The problem with the Russian state is not that it's too weak. The problem
with the Russian state is that it is utterly unaccountable to those it is
meant to serve, just like in the bad old days. And deporting an inconvenient
journalist to a rebel enclave, without putting him on trial or even formally
charging him, is not a move in the right direction.

The Independent (UK)
Chechnya's civilians put to the sword
By Paul Wood on the Chechen Border

The Russian army's triumphant entry into the Chechen capital, Grozny, last
week should have been the end of an ordeal for the city's besieged
population but Chechen civilians told of fresh terror as groups of
soldiers ran amok, looting and carrying out summary executions.

The allegations centre on the Staropromyslovsky district of Grozny, where
the Human Rights Watch organisation has been given the names of 36 people
few, if any, young men of fighting age said to have been murdered by
Russian troops.

Lena Goncharuk, aged 38, said that she was the only one to survive out of a
group of six who were ordered out of the cellar where they had been hiding
and shot at point blank range. Resting in her hospital bed, her voice
barely rising above a whisper, she said she had survived only by pretending
to be dead.

"They [the Russian soldiers] were asking for cigarettes, then they asked,
'Do you have a radio,' and they said, 'Give it to us'," she said,
explaining that the four women and two men were sent back down into the
cellar after handing over their valuables.

"We hadn't even sat down," she went on, "then they began throwing grenades
into the cellar and shooting. We all were crying and suffocating, the smell
was unbearable. We were crying out, we could not see anything but they
continued to shoot.

"We said, 'Guys what are you doing? We are civilians'. They stopped
shooting and they said to come out of the cellar. Our legs and heads were
wounded and we could hardly move but we got up, supporting each other.

"The first out were two Russian women, Luda and Natasha. We were standing
inside the garage over the cellar and they started shooting at point blank
range. The others were twisting in pain, half of Luda's fingers were shot
off, Natasha was lying dead already, they were shivering on the ground.

"There was one old man with us. His head was covered in blood while he was
still standing and I saw his brains on the floor. They were very light like
an animal's. Here, we eat animal's brains as a delicacy, and it struck me,
how can we do that when they look so like human brains?

"I was afraid to make a sound because they were shouting and quarrelling
between themselves. One was saying, 'Why are you shooting?' The other was
saying, 'Shoot them and finish it'. Then they started firing again.

"If I had looked up I would have been shot. I opened my eye just a little
bit, all I saw was the muzzles of their guns and their boots."

Two beds down from Lena was another woman injured in Staropromyslovsky. But
Hedi Makhauri, a 40-year-old Chechen mother, had not been trapped there
throughout the siege. She had been a refugee in neighbouring Ingushetia.

At the end of last month, with Russian troops establishing themselves in
the city, she had thought it safe to go back and check on her house.

"They said it was a liberated area," she said, frail and thin, clutching
her hospital sheet to her chin, telling us that when she got to her street,
she and two other Chechen women saw Russian soldiers loading stolen goods
from the houses into one of their armoured vehicles.

"They took us to the armoured vehicle and they said to go inside. We were
afraid as they put blindfolds on us. We said, 'Why, we are not criminals,
we have just come to see our houses'. They said it was orders.

"They said they would take us to the police headquarters, but they just
took us around the corner. It was just ruins all around. Me and my
neighbour were clutching each other's hand. We said: 'Why are you taking us
here, there are no police here.' They said: 'Just wait, they will come.'

"The other woman said, 'Take whatever you want, we have children, just
don't kill us'. They made us go into one little room. They just shot her in
the head. She didn't even have time to say, 'Let me go'. They just shot
her." Hedi said that the Russian soldiers were tugging at the gold ring on
her finger.

"It slipped off just as they decided to get a knife to sever her finger and
the ring along with it. They also took her ear-rings and her money, 400
roubles, about 8.

"Then they put an old mattress over her body, poured petrol on, and lit it.
The mattress was wet and did not catch light, only smouldered as they
walked away. If I cried they would have killed me," she said.

The Russians hoisted their flag outside the former residence of Chechnya's
President, Aslan Maskhadov, on Friday, right in the heart of Grozny. At the
same time, their commanders announced that they would soon bring home the
bulk of the 100,000 strong army inside Chechnya.

Russia's foreign minister, Igor Ivanov, said he was disappointed that the
West did not seem to understand Moscow's war aims in Chechnya. President
Maskhadov's government appealed for the UN and the Organisation for
Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to send observers to Chechnya
saying the world was doing nothing as civilians were killed.

As well as Lena and Hedi, we heard other accounts of killings in the
Staropromyslovsky district of Grozny. One family showed us photographs of
the bodies of a mother and son. They showed us their clothes, covered in
blood and full of small holes, which the family said were made by a knife.

Human Rights Watch says it has so far collected about a dozen completely
separate eye-witness accounts of summary executions there and is issuing a

This does not appear to be a Yugoslav style massacre carried out according
to orders from above but Human Rights Watch says that the Russian high
command is still responsible. "The high command must take responsibility
for the actions of its soldiers and stop these abuses. But up until now we
have seen very little action," said spokesman Peter Bouckaert.