February 1, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4082

1. Reuters: Yeltsin's wife describes husband's resignation.
2. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: MOST RUSSIANS WANT NEXT PRESIDENT TO HALT WAR IN CHECHNYA.
3. AP: Albright: Russia Inflicting Misery.
4. Interfax: PM CALLS FOR SPEEDY APPROVAL OF LAND CODE.
5. Interfax: WESTERN INVESTORS INTERESTED PRIMARILY IN PREDICTABILITY - DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER.
6. Open Society Institute's Central Eurasia Project: Gaidar Supports Chechnya Campaign, But Is Cautious on Russian Policy Towards CIS States.
7. The Melbourne Age: Bob Ellis, Worse than a lethal fool. (re Yeltsin)
8. The Guardian (UK): Amelia Gentleman, Chechen village lives and dies with the enemy. In a frontline community, signs on gates plead: 'People live here'
9. Vremya MN: Yelena Boldyreva, NO VIOLATIONS. (Re Russian views of Chechnya)
10. Moscow Times: Catherine Belton, Looking for Putinomics.

DJ: It has come to my attention from a usually very reliable
and informed but confidential source that there may have been
massive falsification of the Duma election results in December.
This allegation deserves further investigation and for that
reason I am passing on the information here. I cannot reveal
the source but the issue deserves much more attention
than it has received to date. This allegation is known
to a number of well-known experts on Russia. For a variety of
reasons, unfortunately, there has been no open discussion.
But it is simply too important to keep silent about. I can
say that I have received information from other sources that
both supports and contradicts the allegation.
According to the source here are the official
vs. the actual percentages of the vote of the major parties
in the parliamentary election:

Party Official Actual

Communists 24% 33%
Unity (Medved) 23 14
Fatherland/All-Russia 12 21
Union of Right Forces 9 3.4
Yabloko 6 12
Zhirinovsky bloc 6 4.5

Yeltsin's wife describes husband's resignation

MOSCOW, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Boris Yeltsin's wife, in a rare interview, provided
new insights into her husband's resignation as Russia's president and said
they planned to celebrate his 69th birthday on Tuesday with Acting President
Vladimir Putin.

Apart from Putin, who is running for president in a March 26 election, the
Yeltsins have invited Russia's Patriarch to share a meal of fish dumplings,
Naina Yeltsin told the daily Izvestia.

``His holiness the Patriarch is coming, he said so already. I think Vladimir
Vladimirovich Putin will come too,'' she said.

``Those who don't want to congratulate him don't have to come. It's purely
personal...Of course we'll have traditional dumplings -- Urals style
dumplings, definitely with fish. We'll bake up something sweet. We like home
cooking in our house.''

Describing Yeltsin's last hours in office, she said the former president had
surprised his family when he announced he was stepping down on New Year's
Eve.

``You know, there was a sense he was thinking about something. I could feel
it,'' she said.

``On the morning of the 31st he was in a very good mood. And suddenly, just
before walking out the door, he said to me: 'You know, I've decided to
resign.' And so calm. I just kissed him and said, 'What a great guy you are!'

``It didn't occur to me he meant that day, the 31st. I thought it might
happen in January or February.''

When it finally became clear that the announcement was coming at noon,
Yeltsin's family was torn over the timing. One granddaughter worried that it
might spoil Russians' New Year holiday, but another said everything would be
fine.

``Masha said: 'Grandma, how can he do that? Today is a holiday. Everybody's
getting ready for the New Year. You can't create such worries for people.
Call him up right now and tell him not to announce it today!'''

``Then Katya called up and said: 'Grandpa is terrific. He's such a hero.' I
said: 'Katya, don't you think it will spoil people's holiday?' And she said:
'Come on, Grandma, everyone is so busy with the holiday. Sure, there will be
a little worrying, but everything will be all right.'''

``By the time the New Year came we had all calmed down,'' Mrs Yeltsin said.

``Of course, when we watched his address, we cried.''

RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 4, No. 21, Part I, 31 January 2000

MOST RUSSIANS WANT NEXT PRESIDENT TO HALT WAR IN CHECHNYA.
More than half (56 percent) of Russian citizens hope that the
next president of Russia will put a stop to the war in
Chechnya. That is the finding of a poll conducted by the
Russian Public Opinion Center among 1,600 respondents in mid-
January, Interfax reported on 29 January. The same survey
also suggested that 55 percent of citizens want to see
Russia's status as a "great and respected" nation restored,
while only 12 percent believe that the new president's duty
is to keep Russia on the reform track. JC

Albright: Russia Inflicting Misery
January 31, 2000
By BARRY SCHWEID

MOSCOW (AP) - Clashing openly with Russia over Chechnya, Secretary of State
Madeleine Albright said Monday the conflict in the rebellious republic had
inflicted ``an incredible amount of misery'' on civilians by targeting them
indiscriminately and forcing them from their homes.

She appealed to Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov to open a dialogue with Chechen
political figures. ``We believe there is no military solution to the Chechen
problem,'' she said.

But Ivanov responded at a joint news conference that Russia had to move
firmly against terrorism, a view in which he said other governments
concurred, and that no one had come up with an effective recipe to deal with
the extremist threat.

He said Russia understood fully the concern its offensive had stirred abroad,
but insisted ``all our counterparts share the necessity to fight most firmly
against terrorism.''

The offensive, championed by acting President Vladimir Putin and widely
approved by Russian nationalists, will not extinguish terrorism and is
causing diplomatic isolation for Russia around the world, Albright said.

Their open debate after more than three hours of talks underscored the skid
in U.S.-Russian relations, marked also by disagreement over a potential U.S.
program for space-based weapons that Russia insists would fuel a race in
offensive nuclear arms.

Philosophically, Albright said of discord over arms control measures, ``these
are unlikely subjects for one-day miracles.''

But hinting at a potential for compromise, she said Russia's demand for
deeper cutbacks in arsenals and the U.S. pitch for an antimissile defense
were being considered in ``one package.''

Albright said President Clinton was prepared to make a visit to Moscow to
continue the dialogue with Putin.

In Washington, however, a senior U.S. official said Clinton had no plan to
visit at least until after Russia's national elections in March. Boris
Yeltsin had extended an open invitation to the president before resigning New
Year's Eve and choosing Putin as his successor.

Albright's visit is designed to size up Putin, to push for an easing of
restrictions on antimissile defenses and to persuade the new leader to change
course in Chechnya.

In a gesture of cooperation despite their differences, Albright and Ivanov
took a break while tackling their heavy agenda to sign an agreement designed
to tighten controls on technology used in launching U.S. satellites from
Russian space stations.

Also, they are working together toward a solution to a territorial dispute
between two former Soviet republics, Armenia and Azerbaijan. Albright also
noted that both Russian and American troops were on peacekeeping patrol in
Kosovo.

While Albright and Ivanov conferred at Osobnyak, the foreign ministry's guest
house, delegates from the Palestinian Authority, Israel and several Arab
countries began a series of meetings aimed at promoting regional cooperation.

``Russia will keep working consistently to attain durable and fair peace in
the Middle East region, which can be secured through the restoration of the
legitimate national rights of the Palestinian people,'' Putin said in a
letter to Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. The presidential press service
made the letter public.

Putin said he would accept Arafat's invitation to visit Palestinian-held
territory ``as soon as circumstances permit.''

Clinton also has endorsed Palestinian aspirations and declined to endorse
congressional legislation affirming Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

A Putin mission was welcomed Monday night by a senior U.S. official, who said
``the Russian position is clearly one that is very supportive of moving
ahead.''

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, added: ``To the extent they
can be helpful we welcome that.''

Albright, Ivanov and about a dozen other foreign ministers held a festive
informal dinner, meanwhile, in a palace built by St. Catherine. They were
serenaded by folk singers and drank some vodka.

Albright and Ivanov boarded a sleigh pulled by horses and rode amid snowbanks
in a torch-lit pathway. Midway, they swapped hats, Albright exchanging her
Stetson for Ivanov's Russian fur hat.

The Moscow talks are being sponsored by Russia and the United States. In
addition to Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, the Palestinian Authority
and Israel, they are to include representatives of Canada, the European
Union, Japan, China, Switzerland and Norway.

Syria and Lebanon are boycotting the meetings.

On Chechnya, the divergence of American and Russian views was clear.

``We think there has been an incredible amount of misery injected upon the
civilian population of Chechnya, both militarily and also because of the
creation of its many refugees,'' Albright said.

At the same time, though, Albright reaffirmed U.S. support for Russia to
retain control of Chechnya and said Russia was confronted by ``what is
clearly a problem of terrorism.''

She did not elaborate on her proposal that Russia should pursue a political
solution through dialogue. State Department spokesman, James P. Rubin, said
``we don't have a prescription for it.''

PM CALLS FOR SPEEDY APPROVAL OF LAND CODE

MOSCOW. Jan 31 (Interfax) - Acting Russian President Vladimir Putin
has called for the speedy approval of the land, labor, civil and
criminal proceeding codes.
At an expanded Monday meeting of the Justice Ministry board he
said: "We are suffocating from the absence of fundamental legislation
adequate to the changing situation."
"This does not mean that everything should be dumped, but it is
impermissible that the country should be living according to laws
written under a different system of government," Putin said.
He spoke of the need for the dictatorship of law in Russia. "The
dictatorship of law is the only kind of dictatorship which we must
obey," he said.
In the context of the need to speed up law making he said that the
whole job should not be lumped on the Duma alone. The government and
Justice Ministry should assume a more energetic stance on the matter,
Putin said.
"So far Russia does not have a well-thought out, calculated law-
making policy," he said.
He said 20% of recent legislation contradicts Russian laws and in
some cases restricts human rights.
He said the contradiction between laws in several Russian
territories and federal laws "may reach a critical point capable of
blasting the common constitutional space."
Putin said that freedom without law and order "inevitably tumbles
down to chaos and lawlessness." People should have faith in the power of
law. Russia can be made a strong power only on the fundamental
principals of observing law and personal liberties," he said.

*****

WESTERN INVESTORS INTERESTED PRIMARILY IN PREDICTABILITY - DEPUTY PRIME
MINISTER

MOSCOW. Jan 31 (Interfax) - First Deputy Prime Minister and Finance
Minister Mikhail Kasyanov at the world economic forum in Davos said that
Western investors were asking primarily about the investment climate and
general predictability of the Russian authorities.
"The heads of major firms and transnational corporations that have
investments in Russia and intend to increase the volume of their capital
in the Russian economy pointed to the flaws in Russian laws, even though
these flaws do not scare them or constitute the biggest obstacle," he
said. "The fact that these laws change every day is the biggest
obstacle" for investors, Kasyanov said.
In a Sunday interview with the Russian ORT channel he said that the
West "hopes that the new situation arising today, relations between the
government and the Duma and parliament as a whole, will help to correct
many flaws." He quoted the opinion of investors that the situation in
taxation should now be improved.
Kasyanov said that Russia is moving along the road of integration
in the world economy and its participation in the international division
of labor is absolutely necessary. He felt that in order to make this
road shorter and more professional, Russia should coordinate its moves
with international financial institutions, which act as experts and
reflect the opinion of the entire international community in this
sphere.
He was sure that "the continuation of cooperation with the IMF and
other international organizations is absolutely necessary for Russia not
from the viewpoint of getting money, important though it is, but from
the viewpoint of checking the quality of the steps and measures which
the government will be adopting."