January 16, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4040 4041

1. The Russia Journal: Andrei Piontkovsky, Stasi for president.
2. AP: Deborah Seward, Russians Hope Putin Brings Change. (In Pavlovsk Posad)
3. Reuters: Kasyanov sees Russia economic recovery in 3-4 years.
4. Moscow Tribune: Fred Weir's in-your-face encounter with the secret police in Vladikavkaz, North Ossetia.
5. Interview with Basaev that appeared in the Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak: Basaev: May the Fakirs Pray for Us.
6. The Russia Journal: Mikhail Delyagin, Putin’s Russia – a return to totalitarianism.
7. Sevodnya: Sergei Mulin, THE ENERGY CHIEF OF THE COUNTRY PREPARES FOR THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE-2004.
8. The Electronic Telegraph (UK): John Simpson, This will not be the century of any one nation, however mighty. (Response to Condoleezza Rice)
9. AmCham News: Scott Blacklin, Russia's Choice - Rules or Ruin.
10. Boston Globe: Brian Whitmore, New Russian policy allows first strike.]

The Russia Journal
January 17-23, 2000
Stasi for president
By Andrei Piontkovsky
Andrei Piontkovsky is director of the Center of Strategic Research in Moscow.

Vladimir Putin’s PR people have pulled off a decisive coup. The "family"
operation code-named "Papa, swallow the pill" turned out a success. Former
president Boris Yeltsin found himself obliged to sacrifice his forceful
biological instinct for power in the corporate interests of the
presidential clan.

Yeltsin’s heir thus received a truly royal new year’s present – a
presidential campaign cut by half – from six months to three. Just the
thing for Putin, for whom the time factor is crucial in his plans.

Putin’s so-called popularity springs entirely from the war in Chechnya, or
rather, from an ability to portray it on TV screens as an unbroken chain of
brilliant victories. But keeping up the picture for a whole six months is
impossible – three months is the maximum.

By bombing some mountain village every week, losing several dozen soldiers
in the process each time, the authorities can raise the flag, put a tank in
the main street and declare that they control a bit of territory around
this tank, at least during the daylight hours. There are just enough such
villages to last three months, after which the final victory of Putinism’s
radiant ideas can be proclaimed.

In a sense, this idea of a final victory will be justified given that by
three months time, there won’t be any scope left for virtual victories.
That goes too, it appears, for the scenario which so excites generals’
imaginations – pursuing Chechen rebels hiding out in Georgia and making the
most of the opportunity to "liberate the Georgian people from the criminal
regime of Eduard Shevardnadze." The political fallout abroad would be too
unpredictable.

Instead of victory, the country will face the bloody and unsuitable for TV
day-to-day reality of propping up an occupation regime in a territory with
a hostile population and a protracted partisan war draining Russia’s
spiritual, human and material resources. But Putin will have been elected
president by then, achieving the aim that incited the Kremlin to launch
this full scale bloodbath in the first place.

When federal troops reached the river Terek in October, Moscow had a
chance, using both its military and legal advantage at the time, to bring
about a long-term political solution to the conflict that would have
answered its interests. But the PR people needed a different solution. The
ruthless and uncompromising macho was an image that dictated its own logic
of behavior, and state policy found itself hostage to the theatrical needs
of that image.

Yeltsin’s resignation opens Putin the way to the presidency in the first
round. The liberal putains from Putin’s harem, now the most hawkish of
hawks, are busy announcing the imminent coming of the messiah, who will
lead Russia with an iron hand toward market reform. That’s assuming Putin
doesn’t wipe them out in the Kremlin toilets once all power is in his hands.

But for now, let’s listen to a man who knows Col. Putin well from the time
they worked together in St. Petersburg. The talkative general and former
prime minister Sergei Stepashin, speaking in the enthralled tones that now
characterize all references to the soon-to-be crowned heir, described Putin
in an interview on NTV on Jan 31.

"Vladimir Vladimirovich, with his inconspicuous appearance and calm, quiet
voice, showed such energy, firmness and brute determination right from his
first days of work, that in St. Petersburg financial circles he earned
himself the warm, friendly nickname of Stasi."

Happy New Year, dear citizens of Russia!

Happy New Stasi!

Russians Hope Putin Brings Change
January 16, 2000
By DEBORAH SEWARD

PAVLOVSK POSAD, Russia (AP) - In this dying textile town where the fabric of
life has been torn by a decade of political and economic tumult, Vladimir
Putin has emerged as a symbol of hope for many Russians.

``I want Putin because I have hope in him. He does what he says he's going to
do,'' said Katya Lyubimova, 20, who sells trousers in the local market.
``He's not the kind of guy who makes promises and doesn't deliver.''

Pavlovsk Posad, a provincial city of 72,000 just 40 miles east of Moscow,
looks pretty much as it did in Soviet times. The economic reforms and
prosperity that have transformed the capital never arrived here.

A statue of Lenin stands on Revolution Square; one of Felix Dzherzhinsky, the
founder of the Soviet secret police, is down the street. The local church is
still in ruins. Nostalgia for the Communists is strong.

A majority of voters in Pavlovsk Posad voted for the Communist candidate in
elections last weekend for a new governor of the Moscow region. He lost, and
some townspeople are bitter.

``I'm standing here and I'm fed up,'' said Alexandra Petrova, 70, who worked
36 years in one of the local textile factories. ``I'm working to keep from
dying.''

Petrova sells handmade brooms to supplement her monthly $17 pension. ``I'll
probably vote for the Communists,'' she said, referring to the March 26
presidential election.

But 71-year-old Tamara Stepanova, who supports an ailing daughter and her
three children by selling cigarettes and sunflower and pumpkin seeds near
Petrova, is willing to give Putin a chance.

``If Putin increases our pensions so we don't have to stand out here, and
makes the police stop chasing us from the market, I'll vote for him,''
Stepanova said.

Putin was named prime minister last summer and became acting president when
Boris Yeltsin stepped down on Dec. 31. Seen as a can-do leader, he is the
front-runner in the race for Russia's highest office, and his past as a KGB
spy doesn't seem to bother people.

``I think there will be improvements. It's clear he's experienced,'' said
Vladimir Ivanov, a former textile factory worker who travels around regional
markets selling sheets, pillow cases and towels.

``It's even maybe a good thing that he worked in the security services
because there will be fewer bandits,'' said Ivanov, 47. ``I'll vote for him.''

Putin's tough conduct of the war in Chechnya also has won him support in
Pavlovsk Posad, where fabric from some of the factories helps dress the
Russian military.

``Putin has got to get this nation off its knees and put it on its feet,''
said Lyubimova, the jeans-seller, who quit school at 16 to make a living in
the market. ``If he says he's going to fight, he fights.''

City officials hope that Putin - if elected - will increase subsidies to the
local budget, which has shrunk because most of the factories in town are not
able to fully pay their taxes.

``We're living through difficult times,'' admitted Vladimir Rosiyskov, deputy
head of the city government. ``We hope the new leadership can help us.''
Putin, he said, ``has a lot of authority and we respect that.''

Known for its fabrics in czarist times, Pavlovsk Posad was a booming textile
center in the Soviet era. Its factories turned cotton from Uzbekistan into
cloth that was shipped throughout the Soviet bloc.

When the Soviet Union collapsed so did the supplies of cotton, now too
expensive or not available. The town started to recover, when the Aug. 17,
1998 ruble devaluation unleashed an economic whirlwind.

``Those who didn't drown are starting to increase production, even take on
new workers,'' said Alexander Ananyev, chief engineer at the Kamvolshchik
factory on the edge of town.

The factory gets synthetic polyester fabric from Belarus and wool from
southern Russia to make fabric used in making uniforms for the police, army,
customs service and airlines.

Factory bosses supported Putin's rivals in the Dec. 19 parliamentary
elections, and they haven't decided which candidate they'll back in the March
presidential vote.

``Whoever is president has to bring order, end the war (in Chechnya),'' said
Ananyev. ``That would be the best thing.''

Kasyanov sees Russia economic recovery in 3-4 years

MOSCOW, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Finance Minister Mikhail Kasyanov, tipped as a
possible future prime minister, said on Sunday Russia's economy needed
another three to four years to fully recover from the financial crash of
1998.

``Our economy is weak. According to our forecasts, unfortunately, it will
take three to four years to restore the level of the economy, the
achievements of the market economy we managed to get in 1997,'' Kasyanov told
RTR state television.

In 1997 Russia posted its first tentative economic growth since the fall of
the Soviet Union but the crash of 1998, when Moscow defaulted on some foreign
and domestic debt repayments and devalued the rouble, threw the economy into
turmoil.

Kasyanov said the rouble would only reverse its current decline and begin to
appreciate against the dollar and other Western currencies in five to seven
years.

However Kasyanov, named last week as first deputy prime minister by Acting
President Vladimir Putin, added that the international business community was
becoming more optimistic about the prospects for market reform in Russia.

Shrugging off Russia's problems in securing a new funding deal with the
International Monetary Fund (IMF), Kasyanov, a liberal, noted that Russia was
set to notch up about 1.5 percent growth of gross domestic product (GDP) for
1999.

He said the government hoped to maintain the present course of ``unambitious
but steady'' growth this year, despite the political uncertainty surrounding
Russia's presidential election due on March 26.

Putin is the hot favourite to win the presidential election. He has given few
details of his economic programme but has pledged to maintain the course of
market reforms.

Putin hinted on Saturday that Kasyanov might head the new government after
the presidential election. Putin himself remains prime minister for the time
being.

Russia's prime minister is nominated by the president and must be approved by
the State Duma lower house of parliament.