December 14, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3680 3681

1. The Globe and Mail (UK): Geoffrey York, Russians opposed to Chechen
policy cowed into silence.

2. Interfax: Chubais says Putin best candidate for president.
3. Richard Paddock: Re: Kinuli and the Berdy letter/3679.
4. Segodnya: "COOLING" WITH WEST COULD SERVE KREMLIN INTERESTS.
5. RFE/RL: Sophie Lambroschini, Russia: Political Activists Rarely Join
Election Campaign.

6. Robert Bruce Ware: Dagestan.
7. Andrei Liakhov: RE: Blasts in Moscow.
8. Atlantic Council: PRE-DUMA ELECTION SEMINAR ON RUSSIAN POLITICS in
Washington.

9. The Russia Journal: Kristine Petrosian, Russia's new generation set for
Duma vote.

10. Newsweek: Bill Powell, Espionage scandals, angry outbursts, nuclear
threats: the cold war is supposed to be over, but it's getting chilly out
there.

11. Washington Post editorial: What Russia Is.]

The Globe and Mail (UK)
Russians opposed to Chechen policy cowed into silence
Politicians fear public backlash for criticizing
the war during campaign for Dec. 19 election
GEOFFREY YORK
Moscow Bureau

St. Petersburg -- Mikhail Gorny, a campaign strategist for one of Russia's
biggest opposition parties, is trying to maintain a discreet silence on the
hottest issue in the country.

He opposes the war in Chechnya and dislikes its chief architect, Prime
Minister Vladimir Putin. But he knows it would be political suicide to admit
these things openly in the final days of a parliamentary election campaign.

Even in the most liberal city in Russia, voters are rallying behind Mr. Putin
and his war. The Putin phenomenon has transformed the Dec. 19 election,
inflicting heavy damage on opposition parties and boosting the chances of a
freshly minted pro-Kremlin party.

"Our view is that the Chechnya war is a bad thing," said Mr. Gorny, head of
the local campaign office of the liberal Yabloko party.

"Unfortunately, most of our voters support the war. So we are very careful in
how we criticize the war."

With less than a week left in the campaign, the opposition parties are
running scared. Nobody dares to criticize the former KGB spy who is now the
Prime Minister. With an approval rating as high as 75 per cent, Mr. Putin is
the most popular politician in the recorded history of opinion polling since
the collapse of the Soviet Union.

"He is something like a messiah," Mr. Gorny said. "People trust him and
believe in him. They want a strong leader who will destroy terrorists and
create order in Chechnya. They hope he will provide order in the streets and
sausage in the stores."

Mr. Gorny believes the Prime Minister is a dangerous man with dictatorial
tendencies. Yet he would be willing to make a deal with Mr. Putin if the
Prime Minister were to adopt Yabloko's economic policies or appoint its
members to his cabinet. "We are realistic. Mr. Putin has the highest chances
of becoming the next president."

On the streets of St. Petersburg, even opposition voters are united behind
the Chechnya war. Valentina Vasilyeva, a 66-year-old pensioner, says she will
vote for Yabloko because its leaders are smart young professionals. Yet she
also supports Mr. Putin and his crusade against the "terrorists" of Chechnya.

"Something had to be done in Chechnya. This wasp's nest should be abolished."

St. Petersburg, the second-biggest city in Russia, is a traditional
stronghold of the Russian intelligentsia -- the academic and cultural elite
who are generally liberal and Western-oriented in their outlook. But most of
the intelligentsia, too, approve the new regime.

"There is no alternative to Putin," said Alexander Shyolkin, a philosophy
professor at St. Petersburg State University who works as an adviser to a
liberal reform party.

"He is having a positive influence on the psychology of the masses. Even
though he was a KGB officer, I believe he understands the technology of
reform. You need to have professional strength. The necessary formula for
Russia is: 'Reforms, plus strong force.' "

Before the Chechen war, the Kremlin was worried by the growing threat of a
new opposition coalition headed by Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov and former prime
minister Yevgeny Primakov. The coalition, known as OVR, quickly became one of
the leading opposition parties, and Mr. Primakov was the most popular
politician in the country.

But Mr. Putin's dramatic rise, combined with a ruthless campaign against OVR
by the Kremlin's television allies, has damaged the coalition's chances. It
has now tumbled to third place in opinion surveys.

Like other opposition parties, OVR has been intimidated by the Putin
phenomenon. Its leaders are relucant to criticize him or his war. "We support
Putin's government," says one OVR's founding members, St. Petersburg Governor
Vladimir Yakovlev.

"Unlike others, Putin was not afraid to take responsibility for Chechnya,"
the Governor said in an interview. "He is a man who knows the goals and knows
the tasks, and he proves it by his actions."

The decline of OVR is linked to the rise of a new pro-government party,
Unity, created just a few weeks ago by Kremlin strategists. Unity is already
the best-financed party in the campaign, according to official campaign
declarations. After it was endorsed by Mr. Putin last month, it jumped to 18
per cent from 7 per cent in opinion polls, just a few percentage points
behind the front-running Communist Party.

Unity is led by emergencies minister Sergei Shoigu, a veteran cabinet member
who was awarded the title Hero of Russia for heading the government's
response to floods and earthquakes.

But Unity's biggest resource is the formidable power and money of the
Kremlin. Dozens of regional governors have been persuaded to support the
party, often by the lure of federal subsidies. In one case, the Kremlin
reportedly engineered the release of a governor's imprisoned allies to secure
his support for Unity.

The Communists remain the most popular party in the country. But they have
failed to build on their success in the 1995 election. Their support has
remained stagnant at about 25 per cent, similar to their total in the last
election. They also support Mr. Putin and his war.

The EastWest Institute, a think tank that has analyzed the latest election
surveys, predicts the Communists will end up with 140 seats in the Duma, the
lower house of parliament. This would give them the largest number of seats
in the 450-seat chamber, but would represent a slight decline from its
current 157 seats.

Such a result would be welcomed by the Kremlin, however, which has always
preferred to have the Communists as its chief enemy. (President Boris Yeltsin
had little trouble defeating the Communists in the 1996 presidential
election.) After the Dec. 19 vote, the Communists could try to forge an
informal alliance with OVR to put pressure on the Kremlin and perhaps even to
topple Mr. Putin's government.

But if Mr. Putin can keep up the momentum of military victories in Chechnya,
he will be almost unbeatable in next June's presidential election. In recent
opinion polls, more than 70 per cent of Russians say they want someone with
an "iron hand" to rule the country.

Ruslan Linkov, a member of the liberal Right Cause party, is one of the very
few election candidates who openly opposes the Chechnya war. He is deeply
worried by Mr. Putin's extraordinary popularity.

"Society is ready to accept military methods to solve political problems," he
said. "Society is ready to accept a military junta. By democratic methods, we
could have colonels coming to power."

Chubais says Putin best candidate for president

MOSCOW. Dec 11 (Interfax) - One of Russia's former top reformists,
Anatoly Chubais, in a newspaper interview called Prime Minister Vladimir
Putin the best candidate for Russian president and branded the Western
stance on Chechnya as "immoral" and "dishonest." "What I know about Putin
in the human sense and in the political sense tells me that he is not
only the best of the current candidates but also the right kind of
candidate," Chubais, head of national electricity company Unified Energy
Systems and one of the leaders of the Right-wing Forces Union, told the
Russian weekly Novoye Vremya.
"Everyone is accusing him these days of being a 'black box,' a cold man
with steel eyes and so on. But I know that ethical categories are
absolutely fundamental for Putin. And I know this not on the basis of
what he has told me but on the basis of what he did in a situation where
he didn't have to do it from the standpoint of his career or his
personal interests..."
Chubais, who was at different times Kremlin chief of staff and first
deputy prime minister, also voiced anxiety over a current standoff between
Russia and the West over the Russian military campaign in Chechnya.
The West was taking an "immoral" and "dishonest" stance, he said. "The
point is that a right-left alliance has come into being, an alliance
that is very devious and unexpected for us. Let me put it more bluntly - an
anti-Russian right-left alliance in the West."