August 12, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3435 • 3436

1. AP: Russia Unlikely to Ratify START II.
2. International Herald Tribune: William Pfaff, Yeltsin's Maneuvers Cast
Doubt On the Presidential Election.

3. John Danzer: Break-Up of Russia.
4. Jeffrey Barrie: Khitrost and Stepashin.
5. Ray Finch: June 2000.
6. Stanislav Nevzorov: Re: 3434-aid etc.
7. Theodore Karasik: More on Putin.
8. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Nemtsov Comments on Putin Appointment.
9. Komsomolskaya Pravda: Strategy Behind Putin Appointment Examined.
10. Financial Times: John Thornhill, Putin seeks to win over regional
chiefs.

11. Interfax: Skuratov Sees State of Emergency as 'Hopeless Option'
12. Moscow Times: Andrei Piontkovsky, Luzhkov Finds Fatherland Is Not
All Russia.

13. Bloomberg: Russia's Berezovsky Sees Gazprom Chief Vyakhirev Losing Job.
14. AP: Yeltsin Opponents Disorientated.
15. Newsday: Dimitri Simes, Yeltsin's Goal Is to Protect Inner Circle.
16. Andrei Liakhov: RE: 3433-Backer/Aid.]

Russia Unlikely to Ratify START II
August 11, 1999

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russia's parliament isn't likely to ratify the START II treaty
any time soon, even though President Boris Yeltsin said the arms reduction
deal should be a top priority, a senior lawmaker said Wednesday.

Gennady Seleznyov, the Communist speaker of the State Duma, or lower house,
said the United States is to blame for Russia's continued failure to pass
START II.

Russia ``cannot trust the United States, which follows a hypocritical
policy,'' Seleznyov said. He did not elaborate, but he was likely referring
to calls in Washington to amend a U.S.-Russian treaty that bans the
construction of a missile defense system.

Seleznyov's comments came after Yeltsin submitted a list Wednesday of
high-priority bills for the Duma's fall session. The list included over 20
bills, including START II, the presidential press service reported.

The 1993 treaty, ratified by the U.S. Senate in 1996, would halve the U.S.
and Russian nuclear arsenals to 3,000 to 3,500 warheads each. Its passage has
long been delayed by Communists in the Duma, who say the treaty would hurt
Russia's security.

A liberal Russian lawmaker, Vladimir Lukin, also said Monday that START II
stood little chance for passage. Lukin, though, blamed the roadblock on
frequent changes in Yeltsin's Cabinet.

He spoke a day after Yeltsin dismissed the entire government and named
Vladimir Putin as the new prime minister. The old prime minister, Sergei
Stepashin, had promised Vice President Al Gore to push START II through the
Duma. Several lawmakers had backed the idea.

START II's passage would clear the way for a proposed START III treaty, which
would reduce the sides' nuclear arsenals to as few as 2,000 warheads each.
Russia and the United States were planning discussions on START III in Moscow
on Aug. 17-19, and Russian officials said changes in the government would not
derail the talks.

International Herald Tribune
August 12, 1999
[for personal use only]
Yeltsin's Maneuvers Cast Doubt On the Presidential Election
By William Pfaff

PARIS - President Boris Yeltsin would like history to recall him as the man
who gave roots to Russian democracy. But this laudable ambition is undermined
by his need to control his succession in order to assure that the corruption
of his political entourage does not destroy his reputation and ruin his
politically influential daughter, her friends and his supporters.

Thus, he has chosen a new loyalist from the security services, Vladimir
Putin, as prime minister, to replace Sergei Stepashin, an old loyalist from
the same services. During three months in office, Mr. Stepashin failed to
derail the probable presidential challenge of Mayor Yuri Luzhkov of Moscow,
who has just established a political alliance with influential governors in
Russia's regions and republics, acquiring a nationwide electoral base he
previously lacked.

The practical consequences of changing prime ministers are likely to be
slight, so far as Russia's governance is concerned. There is not much to be
done between now and national elections for the Duma, or Parliament, on Dec.
19.

Mr. Stepashin obtained an agreement with the International Monetary Fund at
the end of July for a standby credit of $4.5 billion, so the country is
spared declaring bankruptcy before December. Russia now enjoys the advantage
of owing the international community so much that it can threaten its foreign
creditors, rather than the contrary.

The country's economic situation has slightly improved. Inflation is down to
between 2 and 3 percent per month, which is manageable, and industrial
production and consumption have turned positive. Gross domestic product, a
measure of productive wealth, is falling less rapidly than in the recent
past. However, no one has found a way to make the oligarchs of the economy
and the big sectorial enterprises pay taxes, or has perhaps wished to try.

While announcing his new choice for prime minister, Mr. Yeltsin also proposed
Mr. Putin as the future president of Russia. While no one can take this
seriously, the question of whether there actually will be a presidential
election necessarily arises.

There now are two relatively powerful presidential candidates, Mr. Luzhkov
and former Prime Minister Yevgeni Primakov. The latter's candidacy is
undeclared but probable, and would find much support within the larger
apparatus of established power.

The retired general Alexander Lebed, the outsider, seems immured in the
Siberian political struggles he took on when he decided to enter electoral
politics, but his return to the national scene is easily imaginable,
particularly if the new outbreak of secessionist violence in the Caucasus is
not mastered.

If any of these three becomes president, Mr. Yeltsin will be unable to assure
the protection of his own reputation or the tranquillity of his family and
benefactors following his scheduled departure from office next year. Given
the assumed unelectability of Mr. Putin, his own proclaimed candidate, it
follows that the presidential election must be deferred or canceled.

Mr. Putin, in his former functions, has already demonstrated an ability to
suppress challenges to the Yeltsin entourage, namely the efforts by
prosecutors to bring corruption charges against Boris Berezovsky, the
financier and unofficial counselor of the president and his daughter, Tatiana
Dyachenko.

Moreover, a new situation has been created by the renewal of fighting in the
Caucasus. Mr. Stepashin failed to anticipate or prevent the so-called
Wahhabis in rebel Chechnya - Muslim puritans, wanting independence from
Moscow - from seizing villages in the neighboring province of Dagestan. Mr.
Stepashin even acknowledged at his final cabinet meeting that Dagestan could
be lost to Russia.

Thus conditions exist in which a state of emergency justifying deferred
elections becomes plausible, a ''nonconstitutional'' solution to Mr.
Yeltsin's election problem, to employ the current euphemism. The possibility
of such a nonconstitutional solution is discussed in Moscow circles.

The director of the Institute of Applied Politics in that city, Olga
Kryshtanovskaya, has said that ''with the dismissal of Sergei Stepashin, one
has the impression that the Kremlin has chosen its strategy, but no one yet
knows which it will be.''

She added, ''On the one hand Boris Yeltsin has signed the electoral law and
affirmed his attachment to the democratic process, but on the other, by
naming the head of the Federal Intelligence Service prime minister, he has
let it be understood that he could act outside the legal structure.''

That is the negative scenario. Before the change in prime ministers, George
Kennan spoke in a New York Review of Books interview about the positive
factors in Russia's situation today. It is true ''that the elected
institutions function extremely badly,'' he said. ''But no one has seriously
urged their abandonment.''

''The outgoing Parliament embraced many people who had one foot in the old
regime and one foot out of it, and never knew quite how to behave,'' he said.

''What now is impending has to be a change in generations,'' he added, which
can be expected to provide new and positive influences.

The question this change of governments raises is whether Mr. Yeltsin, and
those dependent upon him, will allow those influences to come into eventual
electoral play.