July 27, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3409 3410

1. The Independent (UK): Helen Womack, Street Life - An optimist's guide
to Russia: Part one.

2. Washington Post: Boris Fyodorov, Loans to Russia? A Russian 'Nyet'
3. Reuters: Russia's Ivanov warns U.S. of new arms race.
4. The Guardian (UK): David Hearst, Email from Moscow.
5. Dennis Whelan: New policy on student visas?
6. Alexander Yanov: Open Letter to Colleagues in the West.
7. AP: Russian Premier Seeks Investors.]

The Independent (UK)
Street Life - An optimist's guide to Russia: Part one
By Helen Womack

I always set out with high hopes on the roads of Russia. In this vast
country, it seems, there is so much to be discovered. Never mind that every
past journey has been tinged with toska or melancholy yearning. Next time I
am sure to come to the Promised Land.

Thus, in hope, I set off from Samotechny Lane last week on the M7 to
Vladimir, 120 miles east of Moscow. In the 19th century, when prisoners
walked for months down this road to exile in Siberia, begging for alms as
they went, it was the highway to Hell, effectively a sentence of death. But
times have changed.

My cherry red Niva or Russian jeep bounced merrily over the potholes as I
passed fields of sunflowers and settlements with quaint Communist names
like Red Electrician. Impatient Mercedes drivers, hurrying to their cottagi
(new brick mansions), overtook me on the inside. The narrow road became the
slow lane, the ditch became the overtaking lane. Suddenly, we were all
driving on the left, like in England. It was anarchy.

By and by, we came to Petushki, immortalised in Veniamin Yerofeyev's comic
novel of the Brezhnev era, Moskva-Petushki. It is about a boozer from
Petushki, who travels to the capital to see the sights but ends up in the
buffet of Kursky railway station, drunk again. It is a symbol of the
hopelessness of Russian life.

By the side of the road in the real Petushki, some drivers were having a
picnic. Vodka bottles were arranged on the bonnet of a car. They were
drinking the vodka from plastic cups. They were going to drink it all and
then get back into their vehicles. Corrupt as they are, there are times
when one should give thanks for the Russian traffic police.

I decided to rest, too. I did not fancy the kvas (drink from fermented
bread) from the fetid roadside barrels or the delights of the Cafe
Kormilitsa (Breast-feeding woman). Instead, I plunged into the forest, dry
as tinder after the heatwave, and picked a handful of wild raspberries, in
exchange for which I donated what seemed like a pint of blood to the
mosquitoes.

Further down the road, I bought some more of these wild raspberries from an
old woman. She had spent all day in the infested forest, picking them. She
was selling them for four roubles per glass. I bought five glasses and
still I had spent about 60p. She cried with gratitude, saying that at last
she could afford bread.

Along its length, the road was lined with traders desperate to make a sale.
Every village offered the same bizarre wares - towels decorated with the
face of Marilyn Monroe, giant toy tigers, popcorn, electric fans and rubber
boats, although there was no water in sight. Suddenly the skies opened and
the villagers rushed to cover their goods, imported from China and brought
here by the Moscow Mafia.

When the Russians brought down Communism, they carried placards speaking of
"70 years on the road to nowhere". After the experiment with capitalism,
they are still on the road, seeking a turning to somewhere.

My car lurched. The strip of asphalt on which I had felt confident to raise
my speed came to an abrupt end and without warning I was back on lunar
craters. Ahead, were the wrecks of a BMW and a Lada that had been in a
head-on collision. The BMW driver was alive but I did not give much for the
chances of those in the more vulnerable car.

The ambulance would come. I drove on. On, past a town called Gus Krystalny
(Crystal Goose), where the glass-factory workers had been paid in kind.
They were standing by the roadside, their chandeliers hanging up for sale
in the branches of trees.

On through Pokrov (the Virgin's Veil), with its sleazy motel, and the towns
of Noginsk and Lakinsk. All over Russia these shabby, inconsequential
places are indistinguishable, with their war memorials, their chicken-coop
apartment blocks, their rusty garages, their gardens with cabbage and
phlox. Irreverent Muscovites call them Perdyulinsk (Fartville) and
Mukhasransk (Flyshitville).

I was leaving them behind. The belching lorries and buzzing motorcycles
thinned out and I emerged on to a plain of golden cornfields, lined with
silver birch. On the horizon, glinted the domes of the ancient city of
Suzdal. My destination. The New Jerusalem.

This was a city of the greatest nobility. Yet, its story too is a tale of
Russian toska. Of wasted opportunity. Of endless sadness. I will tell it in
the next episode of The Eternal Optimist's Guide to Russia.

Washington Post
Loans to Russia? A Russian 'Nyet'
By Boris Fyodorov
The writer is a former finance minister of Russia.

MOSCOW—For the past six years our governments have been living from one
International Monetary Fund infusion to the next. In the first stage we are
short of money and hold hasty talks with the IMF. Next, we receive the money
with after considerable difficulty. Then we forget our promises, get into a
crisis and ask for money again.

The Russian authorities have learned the craft of pulling the wool over the
eyes of the West, and the West has learned to pretend not to notice it. For
political reasons, the West periodically tosses money at us. The main idea is
to keep us quiet and non-threatening. The West does not believe that any
economic reforms are underway in Russia, and so it simply aims at producing
the appearance of decency with the help of the IMF missions and negotiations.

It should be recognized honestly that we have lost six years, increased our
debt by $20 billion to the international financial organizations alone and
have completely failed to conduct reforms. And now we ask to write off part
of the debts. We want to get new credits, but in fact we are not planning to
reform anything. Yet another gift of charity from the West does not solve a
single problem apart from producing the overall image of something positive
going on. Is this worth increasing our debt?

The problem of our budget consists of collecting taxes and other debts. This
requires strong fiscal bodies and a true tax reform -- that is, the
establishing of order. At the same time, we cannot have a realistic budget,
because no one in Russia can predict the level of inflation or the currency
rate. It is impossible to expect that economic activity will grow under the
current conditions of instability and lack of encouragement. The circle
closes.

Still, with today's level of federal revenues we have no funds for the army,
law-enforcement bodies, education or health care. It becomes increasingly
obvious that the state is falling apart and is not coping normally with its
most elementary functions. Periodic financial injections from the West delay
only slightly the need to take decisions that are a matter of principle.

This is how we have been living since the days of Mikhail Gorbachev: They
give us money for reforms, and we immediately lose motivation to conduct
these reforms. Fighting corruption, tax and pension reforms, restructuring of
industry, eradication of the system of barter and nonpayments, unemployment,
agrarian problems -- all these issues and many other questions must be
resolved today. But this calls for the political will to stop seeing things
in terms of "surviving another week, holding on for another month."

The new government has been in charge for two months now, and it still has no
economic program of its own. We hear nothing apart from words about
continuation of the course of Yevgeny Primakov, who did not have a program
either. The attempts to formally satisfy the IMF demands resemble the
attempts of a schoolboy to make the quiz results match the table at the end
of the textbook.

One cannot help seeing the dead-end nature of today's situation. If it hadn't
been for the four-fold devaluation of the ruble and the increase of oil
prices, our country would be standing on the brink of a crash. Today we get
gigantic profits from exports, but we do not collect taxes and do not pay our
debts. The shadow economy is at least equal to the legal one, capital flight
is measured in billions of dollars, and the amount of cash dollars
circulating in Russia is several times larger than the overall ruble mass.
Had we had a reasonable economic policy, we would be able to repay all the
foreign debts and to build up the budget.

I am certain that the prime minster should address the IMF and reject any new
credits until the moment when we have a real plan of action and have started
carrying it out. In a similar situation in August 1993, as the finance
minister, I refused to receive an allotment of the IMF loan, and I am proud
of it. The shame should be on those who dragged Russia into a debt dungeon.
Getting new credits today is absolutely against the national interests of
Russia.

Russia's Ivanov warns U.S. of new arms race

BONN, July 27 (Reuters) - The United States and NATO risk provoking a new
nuclear arms race with Moscow if they seek to impose their will on the rest
of the world, Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov was quoted on Tuesday as
saying.

``I hope it won't come to that,'' he told the German weekly news magazine
Stern, repeating Russia's opposition to the surviving Cold War superpower
adopting the role of ``world policeman.''

``It would only lead to new tensions, to a new arms race, to nuclear
deterrence. It would mean being permanently on the brink of war,'' he said,
adding that Russia was ready to take ``military measures'' in response to
any expansion of NATO.

The interview appeared as Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin began an official
visit to Washington to try to repair relations after Moscow's angry
opposition to NATO's attack on Yugoslavia.

Ivanov's tone in the Stern interview sounded harsher than the one he
adopted after talks in Singapore on Monday with U.S. Secretary of State
Madeleine Albright on the fringes of an Association of South East Asian
Nations meeting.

Asked by Stern how Russia would respond to the further expansion of North
Atlantic Treaty Organisation membership to other former Soviet bloc states
following this year's admission of Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic,
Ivanov said Russia had no right to prevent its former satellites from
joining.

But he went on: ``Should Russia's interest be seriously threatened, we will
adopt all necessary measures -- including military ones -- to ensure her
national security.''

Asked what military moves he was thinking of, Ivanov said Moscow could
change its military doctrine and redeploy troops. Russia, like the NATO
allies, is bound in its deployment of troops by the Cold War-era
Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) treaty, although both sides are seeking
to amend it.

Asked whether a change in doctrine could mean increasing reliance on
nuclear weapons as Russia trimmed back its large conscript army, Ivanov
told Stern: ``Our army remains capable of action. We are against the
nuclear arms race but naturally nuclear weapons play a key role in our
country's defence.''

Russia insists that the United Nations Security Council, on which Moscow
holds one of five permanent seats with the power of veto, retain a monopoly
on the legitimate use of force against states and strongly criticised NATO
for circumventing that principle in its bombing campaign against Yugoslavia.

``Can it be allowed that a couple of countries which have set up an elite
club should order all the rest about?'' Ivanov said.

The Guardian (UK)
Email from Moscow
By David Hearst

The scene beside the Moscow river yesterday could have come straight out of
Nikita Mikhailkov's Burnt By The Sun. An untouched riverbank, winding
through pine forests and open fields, past golden cupolas on its way into
the big city. It was a scene of simple pleasures. Fishermen were fishing,
swimmers were swimming. Not a radio was to be heard. No one was detectably
drunk and no one, unless I had miscounted, was drowning. The sound of jet
skis could be heard. California had come to the outskirts of Moscow. For
two months a balmy peace has descended over the city. The markets are full
of fresh salads, all grown locally. To the dismay of the importers, last
August's crash and the devaluation of the rouble have given a huge boost to
domestic producers and slapped a large import tariff on foreign goods. The
result is that locally produced Russian drinks like Kvas and Russian beer
are profitable once again. Coca-Cola and Heineken are, for once, brooding
about the remembrance of things past. The wheels of heavy industry are
beginning to turn, with steelmakers making a billion pounds by exporting
all their goods.

The birch forests around Moscow are alive with the sound of children's
voices, as families are dispatched to spend the summer at the dacha. But
I'll stop there, because all this does not sound Russian enough. Not even
to Russian ears.

Like winter, or indeed spring or autumn, summer has been disaster time in
the national media. It started with a plague of locusts chomping their way
through the crops in south-western Siberia, and moving westwards as if they
were marching on central Russia. Then came the forest fires, more than
20,000 of them, whose smoke forced Boris Yeltsin to move dachas.
Interspersed with the heatwave and the drought, the heavens opened and, in
the north of the city, hailstones the size of golf-balls dented the bonnets
of Lada and Mercedes alike.

Plague and pestilence have also been sweeping through the holy land. A
hitherto unknown viral infection "most likely the Congo-Crimean
haemorrhagic fever" according to Russia's senior health officials, has
killed nine and hospitalised 136. Everyone around the village in the Rostov
region, where the infection broke out, has been wearing surgical face
masks. The latest pest is tick-borne encephalitis. Apparently, 16,000
people have been complaining of tick bites in Novosibirsk.

Life has been made no easier by self-styled reformers, robber-barons and
free-market missionaries who have swept over the motherland like the horde
of locusts. The health service, outside the privately endowed hospitals of
the capital, is in tatters. For a people so firmly wedded to the dark side
of life, the latest thing to take off on television is called "Disaster of
the Week". It's 999, with a difference. Most people aren't rescued. They die.

The Russian Michael Buerk is a lugubrious bod with a funereal air, who
announces a fresh crop of disasters at home and abroad: pedestrians mown
down on the roads, plane crashes off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, buses
falling into swollen rivers in Brazil. There's no message other than that
there's really a lot of death around.

The same brooding tone is adopted by the weather forecaster. Bright and
cheery for temperatures in their mid-70s? You must be kidding. Had I
thought about the air pressure, or the humidity, or that ozone hole? They
actually said it was better to stay indoors - this for a country with a
winter seven-months long. I blame the language.

I ask a friend whether things have gone as calamitously as she expected,
the stock reply is " narmalna " which literally means "as normal". It's by
the riverbanks that the highest form of optimism is to be found. The saying
goes: " Kharasho, tiplo i muchi ni kusaet " (It's hot, it's good, and the
flies don't bite") - well, not unless they are ticks carrying encephalitis.