July 19, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3398 •

1. Reuters: Timothy Heritage, Russian premier demands end to media war.
2. Itar-Tass: Exchange Program for Young Russian Leaders to Start Monday.
(with US).

3. Washington Post editorial: Antisemitism in Russia.
4. New York Times editorial: Russia's Nuclear Defense.
5. Reuters: Moscow mayor blasts foes, backs Primakov.
6. Itar-Tass: Primakov Says He Is in Constant Contact with Luzhkov.
7. Peter D. Ekman: Itogi.
8. Martine Self: Mensa in Russia.
9. Stratfor commentary: Are Russian Security Forces Again Acting Without
Presidential Approval?

10. Jerry F. Hough: Re: 3396-Shapiro/Hough.
11. T. S. White: Entreprenuer 4 (Documentation).
12. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: RUSSIAN GENERALS TALKING LOUD...BUT ARMED
FORCES STILL WRACKED BY SOCIAL ILLS.

13. AP: Angela Charlton, Prices, Turmoil Hurt Russia Tourism.]

Russian premier demands end to media war
By Timothy Heritage

MOSCOW, July 19 (Reuters) - Russian Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin told two
top television stations on Monday to end a politically tinged war of words
that has erupted before parliamentary and presidential elections.

``I watched television last night. The channels do nothing but attack each
other. They do not cover important events, as if there are no problems other
than their own in the country,'' Stepashin told a government meeting.

Television helped President Boris Yeltsin secure re-election in 1996, and
Stepashin's remarks showed how closely the Kremlin and the government are
watching the media before a parliamentary election in December and a
presidential poll due in mid-2000.

Russian Public Television (ORT), in which the state has a controlling stake,
and the commercial channel NTV exchanged jibes at the weekend, adding spice
to a long-running rivalry that has heated up as the elections near.

ORT said NTV, which often criticises Yeltsin and the Kremlin, was deep in
debt. NTV, in which natural gas monopoly Gazprom (GAZP.MO)(GAZPq.L) has a 30
percent stake, hit back by saying the figures had been manipulated.

NTV's weekly current affairs programme, Itogi, suggested it was the victim of
a campaign conducted by two figures associated with the Kremlin -- Boris
Berezovsky and Alexander Voloshin.

Voloshin, the Kremlin chief of staff, is chairman of ORT's board.

Berezovsky, a media and business mogul who has contacts with Yeltsin's
family, has long been associated with ORT and is at odds with NTV and
Vladimir Gusinsky, head of the Media-Most group that owns the television
channel.

Berezovsky hit out at Media-Most in a newspaper interview published last week
and said: ``And if you are interested in my personal relations with this
group, I will reply that today it is very negative.''

NTV Director General Oleg Dobrodeyev told the Kommersant newspaper that his
channel faced a concerted attack. Criticising ORT, he said: ``We are
professionals and should solve our problems in other ways.''

Most of Russia's mainstream media united behind Yeltsin in his re-election
campaign in 1996, a factor widely considered crucial in his defeat of
Communist rival Gennady Zyuganov.

Gusinsky, who also owns the Sevodnya newspaper, and Berezovsky, who has
stakes in the Nezavisimaya Gazeta and Kommersant newspapers, were then united
behind the Kremlin leader and opposed to the Communists returning to power.

But Gusinsky and Berezovsky are now rivals, the media are in general split
over which candidates and parties to back in the coming elections, and the
dividing line between reformers and non-reformers is now much less clear than
in 1996.

Yeltsin cannot seek a third term but wants to ensure the next president is a
like-minded leader who will not investigate his or his family's actions
during his years as president.

Yeltsin created a ministry for the media this month which has prompted fears
that the Kremlin wants to tighten controls on the media before the coming
elections. It denies the charge.

Exchange Program for Young Russian Leaders to Start Monday.

WASHINGTON, July 19 (Itar-Tass) - One of the largest exchange programs for
young Russian leaders, implemented under the auspices of US Congress, will be
officially started in Moscow on Monday, and later -- in the American capital.

Under the Open World program, 2,000 young Russian politicians and
administrators will visit -- within a period from July 26 to September 30 --
various US towns to see activities of the US government and Americans' life.

The US envoy to Russia, James Collins, and director of the US Congress
Library James Billington who arrived in Moscow specially for the occasion,
will announce the beginning of the project implementation on Monday.

A joint news conference by James Billington and Russian Ambassador to the
United States Yuri Ushakov, devoted to the event, will be held at the
building of the US Congress in Washington on Tuesday.

Organizing one of the largest exchange programs in the United States over
many decades, the Congress acknowledges the unique significance of the
development of cultural and political relations between Russia and the
American people, according to the address to the participants of the Moscow
meeting.

Hopefully, the opportunity to receive such numbers of present and future
leaders from all over Russia will strengthen the ties between our countries,
which were established by the exchange programs implemented before, it said.

The first group of 250 young political leaders of various ranks will leave
for the United States within a week starting July 25. A ten-day tour of the
United States is envisioned for each participant.

Washington Post
July 19, 1999
Editorial
Antisemitism in Russia

THE RECENT stabbing of a Russian Jewish leader inside the Choral Synagogue,
just blocks from the Kremlin, represents an escalation of the antisemitic
attacks that have proceeded in Russia at a low but disturbing level through
most of this decade. In Moscow alone, there have been at least seven cases of
arson and bombing attacks at synagogues and other Jewish sites, and
cemeteries and synagogues have been targets outside the capital too. This
time, a 20-year-old man, reportedly tattooed with a swastika, entered the
synagogue and repeatedly stabbed Leopold Kaimovsky, 52, director of the
Jewish Cultural Center. The assailant from his jail cell described his attack
as a "political act" against the "evil" of Judaism.

Americans know only too well how difficult it is for any society to free
itself of racism and racist violence. Russia, in the midst of wrenching
economic and social change, can offer more plausible explanations than many
other countries for why such poisons might spread. But a measure of any
society is the vigor with which it fights against such hatred. In this
regard, Russia's performance is mixed at best.

Antisemitism is an old scourge in Russia, and its prevalence or absence at
any given time is as good an indicator as any of the general health and
openness of the country. President Boris Yeltsin for the most part has seemed
to understand this, and throughout most of his time in office has spoken out
for tolerance and against prejudice. Many Jews have prospered in the new
Russia, and Jewish culture and religion have resurfaced after decades of
repression.

But other political leaders are open in their antisemitism, and no one in the
establishment has been firm enough in condemning them. Extremist leaders,
such as Alexander Barkashov and Communist legislator Albert Makashov, attack
Jews openly and venomously, and more mainstream leaders cannot summon the
political will to disown them. Far from condemning party members such as Mr.
Makashov, Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov -- a once and future presidential
candidate -- himself speaks darkly of Zionist plots and implicitly blames
Jews for Russia's economic troubles.

Jewish emigration to Israel, which had slowed in the past few years, has
picked up again, in response both to rising antisemitism and new economic
troubles -- two phenomena that are themselves partly related. That Jews can
leave should be welcomed. But many Jews in Russia want to stay, to make a
life that is both Russian and Jewish. Whether they can do so will be an
important sign of the overall viability of Russia's democratic experiment.

New York Times
July 19, 1999
Editorial
Russia's Nuclear Defense

Budget cuts and political changes have so weakened Russia's once-formidable
armed forces that Moscow's military planners now feel obliged to rely on
nuclear weapons to defend their frontiers against even a nonnuclear attack.
That alarming shift in planning was underscored by the extensive war games
Moscow recently conducted, the largest such maneuvers since 1991. Faced with
a simulated invasion by an unnamed Western foe, Russian forces first
responded with conventionally armed defenders. But when these failed to halt
the attacker's progress, Russian commanders felt compelled to order nuclear
strikes.

Moscow has historically been responsible about nuclear weapons use. Still,
Americans should be concerned about the new defensive plans. Russia has 6,000
nuclear warheads that can reach American soil and thousands more available
for use in Europe.

The deep nuclear weapons cuts of the late 1980's and early 1990's have halted
in recent years. While Russia and America now have only about half as many
intercontinental nuclear warheads as they did at the cold war's peak, that is
still nearly three times as many as military experts think they need. Even
the treaty negotiated by President George Bush and President Boris Yeltsin,
which would cut both sides to about 3,500 warheads, has not yet been ratified
by Russia's parliament.

Paradoxically, the way around that obstacle may be to negotiate deeper cuts,
as the Clinton Administration is now prepared to do. Under the last treaty,
Russia would have to replace multi-warhead missiles with costly new
single-warhead missiles to reach the ceiling of 3,500.

A new treaty that set ceilings at between 2,000 and 2,500 warheads would
spare Russia much of this expense. Given Moscow's desperate financial plight,
the lower ceiling could attract many parliamentarians.

The new Administration position was announced when President Clinton and Mr.
Yeltsin met in Germany last month. It came as part of a broader agreement
that also included a new willingness on Russia's part to discuss changes in
the treaty restricting defensive missile systems. Despite lingering tensions
on other issues, this may be a promising moment for progress on arms control.

Mr. Clinton and Mr. Yeltsin are nearing the end of their terms. Both could
enhance their records by completing a major nuclear arms reduction treaty.
Mr. Yeltsin, who earlier did so much to turn Russia away from the cold-war
nuclear arms race, should not leave office with Moscow's finances drained by
a bloated nuclear arsenal and Russia's generals tempted to use the weapons.

Moscow mayor blasts foes, backs Primakov
By Oleg Shchedrov

MOSCOW, July 18 (Reuters) - Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov, outraged by legal
action against his wife's firm, blamed political foes including President
Boris Yeltsin's aides on Sunday of playing dirty tricks ahead of crucial
elections.

Luzhkov said in a television interview that post-Soviet Russia had failed to
become a law-based state and pointed at former prime minister Yevgeny
Primakov as a politician who could carry out the task if elected president
next year.

``We have failed to build a market economy so far,'' Luzhkov said. ``But we
should have built a law-based society. One does not need money for that, only
good conscience,'' he added.

Luzhkov, a leader of the centrist Fatherland party and a vociferous critic of
the way economic reforms have been carried out by Russia's changing
governments, is preparing for a parliamentary election in December.
Luzhkov, who wants to form a centrist coalition that could dominate the next
parliament, has said he could run for president if he saw no other candidate
suitable for Russia.

The popular Moscow mayor has complained in the past that the Kremlin seeks to
ruin his election campaigns and possibly his political career.

He said that a recent police inquiry into the documents of his wife's firm
undertaken, according to authorities, as a part of a wider investigation into
suspected illegal capital flight, was part of a plot against him.
``This is obviously an arbitrary rule by the authorities and an example of
the use of power structures in the interests of the political struggle,''
Luzhkov said adding that Yeltsin's administration was part of the conspiracy.

However, Luzhkov stopped short of directly criticising Yeltsin and made clear
he was not calling for immediate action.

``We should not allow a revolution,'' he said. ``Parliamentary election
should take place as scheduled in December and presidential polls next
year.''

Political analysts say Luzhkov's chances in the parliamentary election will
strongly depend on whether he wins the support of Primakov, who remains the
most popular political figure in Russia months after being sacked by Yeltsin.

Analysts say both men harbour presidential ambitions. This meant that both
treated the idea of an alliance with caution.

But in a surprise statement, Luzhkov made clear he was ready to accept
Primakov's leading role.

Asked whether he saw Primakov as a presidential candidate who suited him
enough to drop his own bid for that office, he said: ``Yes he suits, quite
suits.''

``Primakov is a man who can pacify our country, who has serious constructive
goals and who will not allow arbitrary rule, into which Russia is sinking
now, to continue.''

Primakov Says He Is in Constant Contact with Luzhkov.

MOSCOW, July 19 (Itar-Tass) - Russian ex-premier Yevgeny Primakov said on
Monday that he was in constant contact with Moscow mayor Yuri Luzhkov, but
refused to disclose whether he was planning to join Luzhkov's Otechestvo
movement.

"I highly treasure telephone calls from many governors, I am in constant
touch with my successor Sergei Stepashin, Moscow mayor Yuri Luzhkov with who
I have warm and humanly relations", Primakov told Tass by telephone from
Switzerland where he is recuperating from a back spine surgery.

On Sunday Luzhkov said that he would like Primakov not only to head
Otechestvo party ticket at the parliamentary elections, but would prefer him
as the next president of Russia.

Earlier Luzhkov, who is widely seen as a presidential hopeful, said that he
himself may run for president only if he does not see a worthy candidate who
he would support. Asked by an NTV anchorman whether Primakov is such a
person, Luzhkov answered in the affirmative.

"Yes, he is. I am not a power-seeking man", Luzhkov said. Primakov gave no
comment, but said that "I have not quit active life and I am constantly
working". He added that he was receiving numerous proposals from Russia and
had already rejected some of them.

"Much time is taken by considerable correspondence which comes to me", he
said adding that he had rejected a proposal to run for the governor of the
Sverdlovsk region in the Urals.

"The other day I sincerely thanked the Ural people who have collected many
signatures to have me named for the post of the Sverdlovsk governor. I was
gratified, but refused", Primakov said.

He said he was also in contact with some foreign leaders. nec/