July 16, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3395

Advance warning: On Saturday I leave for a week in the wilds
of Virginia near Charlottesville. I'll have my laptop computer
with me and we'll see what develops. Let's hope for a slow news
week.
1. Itar-Tass: Moscow Beer Festival Expects Over One Million Guests.
2. AFP: Moscow struggles to face up to rampant street prostitution.
3. Moscow Times: Andrei Piontkovsky, SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Neurotic Elite
Loves West, Hates West.

4. Moscow Tribune: What Do Russians Fear?
5. RFE/RL NEWSLINE: NIZHNII REFORMERS' PAST UNDER SCRUTINY
6. AP: Russian Corruption Scandal Revived.
7. Jerry Hough: We must get beyond the moralistic outrage.
8. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: New Plan for Single-Seat Electoral Districts.
9. Itar-Tass: Berezovskiy Urges Capitalists To Play Open Politics.
10. Itar-Tass: Daily Says Berezovsky Seeks Control Over Gazprom Money.
11. The Economist: Manipulating Russia's press.
12. AFP: Russian Jews shocked by synagogue stabbing.
13. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian Support for Compatriots Abroad Planned.
14. Moscow Times: Sergei Markov, The Kremlin's Options.
15. Reuters: Accused Russian Nuclear ''Spy' Faces New Problems. (Nikitin)]

Moscow Beer Festival Expects Over One Million Guests.

MOSCOW, July 15 (Itar-Tass) -- Up to 1.5 million guests are expected to
converge on the Moscow beer festival which will open in the Luzhniki sports
complex on July 17 to completion on July 25.

Moscow vice-mayor Valery Shantsev told a press conference on Thursday that
five Moscow breweries, two beer brewing companies from St. Petersburg,
brewers from Tver, Klin, Yaroslavl and Chuvashia and Germany's Debasus
brewery will take part in the festival.

Up to 300,000 Muscovites are expected to visit Luzhniki over the coming
weekends. Head of the Moscow administration of mass- scale public events Oleg
Belikov said, "Our festival is the only opportunity for thousands of people
to have a beer shoulder to shoulder with others."

Moscow government minister Yevgeny Panteleyev, who heads the science and
industrial policy department, said Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov will tap the
first cask of beer to offer drinks to festival guests.

Beside the Moscow city government, the festival organisers include the
Luzhniki Olympic complex administration and the Association of beer buffs.

Valery Shantsev said not only beer but also soft drinks, snacks and ice-ream
will be available in Luzhniki, so that "everyone will have what one likes and
can afford." For those who decide to take the kids to the festival there will
be an entertainment park with bands playing, rollerdrome, and games of all
kinds.

On weekdays, a fair will open at noon from Monday to Friday and variety shows
will begin at 17.00. No fair will be open over the weekends, but
entertainments will be offered from noon to 22.30. The Beer World exhibition
will be open from July 17 to 25 and presentations of new technologies will be
held regularly.

The festival closing ceremony will take place on July 25.

Moscow struggles to face up to rampant street prostitution

MOSCOW, July 15 (AFP) - Every night at dusk, Natasha Strogonova joins the
bevy of women near Moscow's Dinamo sports stadium to earn in a few hours many
times more than the monthly wages she took home in her previous job as a
store clerk.

"I have two children. I need money," said Strogonova, 28, who will spend six
months in Moscow before returning to her home town of Ivanovo, north of the
capital, and live off her earnings as a prostitute.

Moscow is struggling to cope with pervasive street prostitution -- perhaps
the worst in eastern Europe -- and officials acknowledge the problem is
probably here to stay.

As many as 60,000 women work in the sex trade in Moscow, most of whom arrive
from outlying Russian regions and former Soviet republics, according to
Viktor Yegorin, who heads a Moscow unit of the interior ministry formed two
years ago to tackle the prostitution boom.

Lured by the prospect of higher earnings, tens of thousands of women converge
on Moscow where living standards continue to far outrank those of Russians in
the regions, despite last August's financial crash.

In Ivanovo, Natasha earned 500 roubles a month (25 dollars), a pittance
compared to the 25,000 roubles she is paid for performing sexual acts in
Moscow.

While some prostitutes work in hotels and escort services, most of them walk
the streets, or rather gather at designated "tochki" (points) in the city in
organised groups protected by bodyguards.

"Why do we have so many prostitutes ? Because our country is in a state of
economic collapse," Yegorin said in an interview this week from his office
near Red Square.

"As long as that issue is not being addressed, it will be very difficult to
talk about solving Moscow's prostitution problem."

A 1997 study by the US human rights group Global Survival Network singled out
Moscow as a hub of the eastern European sex trade, which has supplied women
to prostitution rings in Germany, Poland, Japan and Macau.

Moscow police have recently clamped down on prostitution on Tverskaya street,
the capital's main thoroughfare, where women once crowded the sidewalks,
drawing complaints that the city center had become a public brothrel.

The women were pushed further north near Dinamo where Natasha now works while
others have moved to the train stations.

"We are gradually trying to gain control of the situation," Yegorin said.

But he admitted that the efforts of his 10-man unit are often undermined by
police who act as accomplices, helping the women obtain residence permits and
carry out their business in exchange for bribes.

While Muscovites complain loudly about the street prostitutes who have moved
into residential areas, politicians have stayed clear of the issue, perhaps
sensing that they cannot promise solutions.

"We will not be able to escape this," warned Emma Safarova, the head
physician at the Sana health center which has started an outreach project to
help the women. "If we put them on a train, they will just come back."

Since May, the Sana center is offering free health care to the women, who are
among high risk groups for HIV infection and for other sexually-transmitted
diseases.

The program, funded by the Russian health ministry, is keeping up-to-date
information on the prostitutes through surveys and offers counselling to help
them protect themselves.

It also produced a brochure this year titled "How to safely engage in sex and
sex business" that caused a stir for its pragmatic advice to prostitutes
about condoms and dealing with clients.

Safarova contends that authorities must resist the temptation of driving
street prostitutes into the jaws of Moscow's burgeoning criminal underworld
where they will be beyond reach.

"Hopefully, prostitution will only be a short episode in these women's
lives," she said.

Moscow Times
July 15, 1999
SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Neurotic Elite Loves West, Hates West
By Andrei Piontkovsky

A mathematician-turned-political analyst, I am more and more becoming
political analyst-turned-psychoanalyst, investigating the complexes of
the Russian political elite's collective unconsciousness.

I study this subject through observation and experimental interaction with
individual species of this class.

I have often heard different people on different occasions repeating - with a
look of extreme self-importance and self-adoration - the exact same phrase,
word for word. The entire Russian political elite, they say, with the
exception of some isolated marginalized figures, is united as never before in
denouncing or praising something - denouncing, for example, NATO enlargement,
or praising Yevgeny Primakov's vision in putting forth the idea of a
Russia-India-China strategic triangle.

Why do they say they are united as never before? The same political elite, in
its previous incarnation (when they were all active Communist Party
functionaries) was united on every issue - with the exception, of course, of
some isolated marginalized figures, who were either kept in psychiatric
asylums or exiled. And if Russia's political elite is so united, concerted,
determined, then why is Russia's foreign policy so inconsistent, to put it
mildly - or so schizophrenic, to put it frankly?

On several occasions, in my presence, a leading liberal State Duma deputy put
forward for our foreign colleagues the following set of arguments.

Point No. 1. NATO committed a blatant aggression, and all Russians, in their
deep indignation at the United States and NATO, will view them as the main
enemy for many years to come.

Point No. 2. Russia contributed enormously to settling the Balkans crisis.
(Keeping Point No. 1 in mind, what did Russia contribute to? To bullying
innocent victims of aggression into capitulation?)

Point No. 3. We expected to be rewarded. (For what? First encouraging
Slobodan Milosevic in his criminal and suicidal policy, and then selling him
out? And rewarded by whom? By Russia's public enemy No. 1?)

Point No. 4. We have not been rewarded enough and thus feel humiliated.

This very typical mixture of recriminations, complaints and self-pity looks
more like hysterical reactions driven by psychological complexes than a
coherent and rational foreign policy.

Russia's attitude to the West has always been very ambivalent, contradictory
and emotionally charged. More than 80 years ago this dramatic relationship
was most powerfully expressed by our great poet Alexander Blok in his famous
poem "The Scythians": "She [Russia] looks, looks at you with hatred and with
love."

Today, the traditional dramatic attitude of Russia's political class toward
the West has turned farcical. We seemingly need two different Wests. One - to
blame for all our failures; to denounce; and to regard as inferior to our
spirituality and sobornost. The other - to ask for credits and humanitarian
food aid; as a place to send our children and grandchildren for study at
Cambridge; or, for the most outstanding of us, to buy castles on the CÙte
d'Azur.

We have found a sophisticated way to overcome this split of consciousness. We
have designated NATO to be our whipping boy - the bad West. Then there is the
good West, with whom we condescendingly agree to cooperate in the
above-mentioned spheres. It's called the European Union.

Moscow Tribune
July 15, 1999
What Do Russians Fear?

Russians today are more fearful than ten years ago, according to a recent
survey. They live with a very high level of anxiety about poverty and
unemployment, while they are unconcerned about overpopulation and global
warming.

Over 1000 adults (18 to 60-years-old) from the five main regions of the
Russian Federation were asked about their attitudes towards nuclear war,
civil war, terrorism, genocide, corruption, repression, natural disasters,
the end of the world, epidemics, the ozone layer, chemical radiation,
catastrophic crop failure, invasion by Islam, seizure of the Earth by
aliens, etc.

The survey conducted by Prof. Vladimir Shlapentokh (Michigan State
University) and Russian sociologist Prof. Vladimir Shubkin found that
Russians fear poverty most and feel completely uncertain and helpless about
their future.

Lawlessness, unemployment, crime and corruption are the greatest sources of
anxiety. Many worry about ecological disasters,chemical and radiation
poisoning and epidemics. A lesser number fear nuclear weapon proliferation.
In general, the level of anxiety is extremely high.

Overpopulation, alien invasion and invasion by Islam are considered
ridiculous. On the whole, Russians are quite tolerant of others. They are
not interested in anti-Semitic propaganda or Masonic ideas.

The degree of pessimism experienced by retired persons and the number of
women who feel constantly afraid is twice that of men.

Ninety percent state that the earnings from their primary job are not
enough to provide a satisfactory standard of living. Thus, 70 percent grow
foodstuffs on their own land. Very few are able to obtain an additional job
corresponding to their education and skills.

Despite the high degree of fearfulness, few Russians are motivated to act.
Two-thirds choose passivity. They say their actions cannot influence
politics nor economics. Seventy percent are prepared to endure suffering.

With several months before the December Duma elections remaining, 40
percent have no political preferences at all. At the same time, more than
85 percent say they will vote in the elections. The majority will vote for
parties that champion Russia as a great power and parties which support
Russian originality. The minority will vote for the free market orientated
blocks. Half of those polled would like strong state control over the
economy. And fewer than 10 percent prefer to continue with market reforms.

Despite the high level of fear, one-third say they are stress-free. Eighty
percent do not find it difficult to deal with all their hardships. And 60
percent said their relationships with others have not grown more difficult
recently.

"Some fears are individual in nature even if they are found in groups of
people, such as fears regarding one's health, the fear of poverty or of
becoming a victim of crime," says Shubkin. "Some fears are universal in
nature. In contrast to unemployment-- global warming or holes in the ozone
layer can't affect some while leaving others untouched.

RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 3, No. 136, Part I, 15 July 1999

NIZHNII REFORMERS' PAST UNDER SCRUTINY. The Prosecutor-
General's Office has launched a criminal investigation into
former First Deputy Prime Minister and ex-Nizhnii Novgorod
Governor Boris Nemtsov for possible violations of campaign
finance laws during his 1993 Federation Council bid,
"Tribuna" reported on 15 July. Meanwhile, "Obshchaya gazeta"
in its 1-7 July issue examined former Premier Sergei
Kirienko's activities at the Garantiya Bank in Nizhnii
Novgorod. The newspaper claims that Kirienko "launched his
career bilking old people" and describes how under his
leadership the bank diverted monies from the oblast Pension
Fund. Among the methods used were withholding dividends to
the fund, which was the bank's main shareholder, and engaging
in various schemes with promissory notes that, "according to
certain calculations," made up to $10 million a month. The
newspaper also describes how the bank concluded an
information-processing contract worth 14.9 billion old rubles
for "17 pages of text paraphrasing newspaper articles." One
of the two companies involved, AMK Concern, was owned and
managed by Kirienko. JC/JAC

Russian Corruption Scandal Revived
July 15, 1999
By JUDITH INGRAM

MOSCOW (AP) - The opening of a Swiss criminal probe into possible money
laundering by aides to President Boris Yeltsin has revived a corruption
scandal that allegedly reaches the highest levels of power in Russia.

A Swiss official said Wednesday that a criminal investigation had been
launched into alleged money-laundering by Kremlin financial manager Pavel
Borodin and other Russian citizens. Swiss prosecutors have asked Swiss banks
to freeze assets of 22 people suspected in the case, including Borodin, his
wife, and top members of Yeltsin's administration, according to Swiss media
reports.

``We have reason to suspect it was bribe money being laundered,'' Swiss
investigating judge Daniel Devaud was quoted by The Moscow Times as saying.

Borodin rejected the allegations.

``Neither I nor my wife have anything to do with Swiss bank accounts,'' he
was quoted as saying by Interfax news agency. ``All these media attacks on me
have been made on clearly political orders.''

The Kremlin had no comment, but Yeltsin was expected to defend his top
financial aide - the man responsible for providing housing and other material
comforts for the president and his family.

``There will be a very sharp reaction from the presidential administration,
because now there's talk about concrete names ... people close to Yeltsin,''
said Yevgeny Volk, director of the Moscow office of the Heritage Foundation.

Corruption has long played a leading role in Russian life at all levels,
often dictating such everyday decisions as who will get a business license or
whose son will be excused from army service.

It has positively bloomed in post-Soviet Russia, where savvy businessmen with
political connections have been able to get rich quickly through the
privatization of state-owned property.

While Yeltsin has not been personally linked to corruption allegations, his
administration has done little to fight endemic graft in the government.

The Kremlin has been fighting persistent opposition and media allegations of
influence-peddling by the members of Yeltsin's close circle, including his
daughter Tatyana Dyachenko. She has been tied to controversial tycoon and
Kremlin insider Boris Berezovsky, who is also being investigated for his
involvement in the finances of Russia's largest airline, Aeroflot.

The first reports of the kickback scandal emerged in January, when Swiss
officials at Russia's request searched the offices of a construction company
called Mabetex. Russian investigators suspected that Mabetex had bribed top
officials for lucrative renovation contracts.

In February, Swiss Federal Prosecutor Carla del Ponte informed Russian
Prosecutor General Yuri Skuratov that Mabetex had been regularly transferring
large amounts of money to a Swiss bank account.

Skuratov has been battling to keep his job ever since, and says that attempts
to remove him from office are an effort to curb the probe. Yeltsin suspended
Skuratov, but he has refused to leave.

Russian prosecutors searched Borodin's office in March and confiscated
documents involving Mabetex, but no charges have been made. Both Mabetex and
the government say they did no wrong.

Borodin's lawyer, Boris Kuznetsov, said in an interview Thursday in the
Kommersant daily that the allegations against Borodin were ``a purely
political action against the president of Russia, initiated by Swiss
Prosecutor Carla del Ponte.''

Del Ponte has continually pledged Swiss support in Russia's inquiry.

Swiss prosecutors have also been investigating the tycoon Berezovsky and his
involvement in the finances of Aeroflot, headed by Yeltsin's son-in-law,
Valery Okulov.

In April, Russian prosecutors issued a warrant for Berezovsky's arrest on
charges of hiding Aeroflot's hard currency earnings in Swiss firms. The
warrant was later revoked.

Last week, though, Swiss prosecutors seized a large number of documents from
two firms in Lausanne, Switzerland, that are linked with Berezovsky: Andava
and Forus Service.

The tycoon founded the companies in 1994, one day after Aeroflot was
privatized, Russia's Izvestia daily reported on Thursday. Berezovsky is
accused of funneling $250 million through the two firms.