June 23, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3356 3357

1. Reuters: Russia State TV Pulls Anti-Corruption Show.
2. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: SKURATOV PROVIDES DETAILS ON CENTRAL BANK,
MABETEX, BEREZOVSKY INVESTIGATIONS.

3. Reuters: Russia Still Sees ABM Changes As Dangerous.
4. Bjorn Kaupang: Russian Law System, in theory and practice.
5. AP: Russians Fought for Serbs.
6. Press Release: Independent Living for Disabled Youths.
7. Kommersant Daily: Yevgenia Albats and Bill Powell, Black Cash of the
Country. (Re FIMACO).]

Russia State TV Pulls Anti-Corruption Show

MOSCOW, Jun 23, 1999 -- (Reuters) Russia's state television pulled the plug
on an award-winning anti-corruption show on Tuesday, and the show's
producer said Kremlin politics lay behind the move.

Artyom Borovik, head of the company that produces the hugely popular
Sovreshenno Sekretno (Top Secret) television show and a newspaper by the
same name, said officials at Russia's RTR state television station had
given no reason for canceling the show.

"They won't even answer my phone calls," he told Reuters, reached by mobile
phone at a location he said was "outside Russia."

"I have been appearing on RTR for 10 years now, and we have survived
various periods when they tried to take us off the air. I think that in the
last three or four months, in preparation for the (presidential) election
in 2000, they have purged the airwaves of programs they do not control," he
said.

RTR officials did not deny that politics were behind the decision to kill
the show. RIA news agency quoted RTR's first deputy director, Mikhail
Lesin, as saying the show was taken off the air because it dealt in
"kompromat," or compromising material released by politicians to discredit
their opponents.

Lesin said the decision to kill the show was sparked by an installment
earlier this year critical of liberal State Duma deputy Galina
Starovoitova, who was murdered last year.

But Borovik said the station had renewed the program's contract after the
controversial Starovoitova story was aired, and he believed authorities
were more likely annoyed by articles in one of the program's sister
newspapers, which accused top Kremlin officials of corruption.

"That is just some kind of excuse. They didn't take us off the air because
of the story about Starovoitova," he said. "They didn't like something in
the newspapers, but they couldn't shut them down, so they kicked the
television show off the air."

A Kremlin spokesman could not be reached late on Tuesday for comment.

Versiya, one of Sovreshenno Sekretno's sister newspapers, ran a story last
month charging senior Kremlin officials with corruption. "That made them
angry," Borovik said.

Sovreshenno Sekretno, which first aired in 1991 shortly after the attempted
coup against then Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, won a huge following for
gritty, tabloid-style programming in a corruption-riddled country where few
have dared to take on top-level officials.

It won Russia's TEFI television industry prize this year for best
investigative program. The newspaper version is one of the most widely read
publications in Russia.

The show was one of the last remnants of RTR, now Russia's main state
broadcaster, which had been loyal to then maverick outsider Boris Yeltsin
during his confrontations with the entrenched Soviet leadership in the late
1980s.

Borovik said the decision to shut down Sovreshenno Sekretno reminded him of
the late days of Soviet rule, when Communist leaders shut down Vzglyad
(Outlook), a path-breaking glasnost-era magazine show that infuriated the
politburo.

"It is sad that 10 years later they are resorting to the same techniques,"
he said.

Borovik said he already had several episodes prepared, and was in
negotiations with other media companies, including the leading independent
network, NTV, to air them.

"Today I spoke to (NTV owner Vladimir) Gusinsky. I said, listen, pal, this
time it's me. Next time it'll be you," he said.

Jamestown Foundation Monitor
June 23, 1999

SKURATOV PROVIDES DETAILS ON CENTRAL BANK, MABETEX, BEREZOVSKY
INVESTIGATIONS. In a recent interview with the monthly "Sovershenno
sekretno" (Top Secret), Yuri Skuratov gave further details about what
corruption investigations had revealed prior to his suspension as prosecutor
general. He said that after his investigators seized the databases of the
Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange concerning trades in GKOs (the state
treasury bills which were frozen last August), they found that the GKOs had
served as "a washing machine for laundering illegally received revenues of
top officials and representatives of the criminal world." Skuratov also
claimed that just prior to the August 17 market collapse, the Central Bank,
rather than trying to prop up the ruble, "began to actively dump GKOs,
earning huge money and worsening the situation in the country." While
Skuratov continues to refuse to name who was involved in manipulating the
GKO market, he did say that a small group of officials, including Sergei
Kirienko (then prime minister), Anatoly Chubais, (then Russia's special
representative to international lending institutions) and Mikhail Zadornov
(then finance minister) made the decision to default on the GKOs
(Sovershenno sekretno, No. 6, 1999).

In the case of Mabetex, Skuratov said that top officials signed contracts
for construction and restoration work of government buildings in Russia in
which "the real volume of work was less than indicated, and what was left
over was shared between those who ordered the work and those who carried
[it] out" (Sovershenno Sekretno, No. 6, 1999). Russia's State Audit Chamber
recently found that the Kremlin administration spent US$488 million
refurbishing President Boris Yeltsin's Kremlin residence, at a cost of more
than US$14,0000 per square meter--with the average price for building or
refurbishing top-of-the-line office buildings in central Moscow running at
some US$2000 to US$3000 per square meter (Moscow Times, June 18). While the
Audit Chamber did not charge that laws had been broken, the General
Prosecutor's Office, at Skuratov's direction, launched a criminal
investigation earlier this year into whether Kremlin officials received
bribes for renovation contracts. Prosecutors seized documents from the
office of Pavel Borodin, who heads the Kremlin's property department. Last
month, "Versiya"--a weekly magazine owned by Sovershenno sekretno--published
what it said were documents from a Swiss bank account held jointly by
Borodin and officials of Mabetex, the Swiss construction firm which won
contracts to refurbish the Kremlin and other state buildings.

Skuratov said that the investigation of Mabetex, which was assisted by Swiss
federal prosecutor Carla Del Ponte, encountered unprecedented resistance,
and that he knows with "100 percent" certainty that Boris Berezovsky worked
to obstruct the investigation of alleged embezzlement from Aeroflot and to
have him, Skuratov, removed from his post (Sovershenno sekretno, No. 6,
1999). The Swiss authorities assisted the Russian Prosecutor General's
office in investigating the activities of Andava, a Swiss firm reportedly
controlled by Berezovsky, which won approval from Russia's Central Bank to
manage hundreds of millions of dollars of Aeroflot's revenues.

Russia Still Sees ABM Changes As Dangerous

MOSCOW, Jun 23, 1999 -- (Reuters) Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said on
Tuesday Russia still regards U.S. plans to develop a "Star-Wars"-style
missile defense system as "dangerous" despite agreeing to consider changes
to the Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty.

Moscow agreed to consider changes in the 1972 landmark ABM treaty during a
weekend summit of the Group of Eight countries in the German city of Cologne.

But Itar-Tass news agency quoted Ivanov as saying on Tuesday: "(Such
changes) are dangerous and could destroy the basis of strategic stability
and the whole disarmament process.

"The United States is turning into a practical reality the deployment of a
national anti-ballistic missile system," he was quoted as saying.

The ABM treaty sets limits on the type of systems Russia and the United
States can deploy to intercept incoming missiles.

The United States wants changes to the treaty because legislation adopted
by the U.S. Congress commits Bill Clinton's administration to put in place
a defensive shield against limited missile attack.

Worried about the risk of a so-called rogue state like Iran or North Korea
attempting a missile strike against the United States, the Clinton
administration has pledged $6.6 billion in its fiscal budget for the
development of a missile defense.

Speaking to Ekho Moskvy radio on Tuesday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry
Yakushkin also branded the U.S. plans as "very unwelcome tendencies,"
stressing that the 1972 treaty remained for Moscow a "cornerstone of
political stability."

Russia and the United States are due to begin discussions on the ABM treaty
later in the summer.

In exchange for Russia's agreement to hold new ABM talks, Washington has
agreed to resume negotiations on a new START-3 treaty reducing long-range
nuclear arms.

Washington had previously insisted that the existing START-2 treaty must
first be ratified by Russia's opposition-dominated lower house of parliament.

START-2 obliged both sides to bring warheads down to a maximum of 3,500.
Under START-3 they would go down to 2,000 on each side. The U.S. Senate
ratified START-2 in 1996, but it has been stalled in Russia's State Duma
lower house of parliament.

On Tuesday Ivanov reiterated the Russian government's resolve to push
START-2 through the Duma.

"This is a top priority for us and we shall achieve it," Tass quoted Ivanov
as saying. ((c) 1999 Reuters)