May 30, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3313

1. AFP: Who runs Russia? The flower lady knows.
2. The Independent on Sunday (UK): Phil Reeves, Russian internet boss
stands up to spies.

3. New York Times: Celestine Bohlen, A Plea to Yeltsin: Free Russia
>From `Puppet Masters.' (Views of Gaidar).

4. Vladimir Gusev: Re: 3312-Wheeler/Visas.
5. AP: Japan Wants Russia To Sign Treaty.
6. Jerry F. Hough: Re: 3312-Liakhov/MENATEP, Hahn/Khodorkovskii.
7. Reuters: Russian firebrand Zhirinovsky runs for governor.
8. Los Angeles Times: Maura Reynold, Sullen Russia Feels Snubbed by West.
9. Itar-Tass: Vice-Premier Rebukes Unlucky Producers of Consumer Goods.
10. the eXile: Edward Limonov, Portrait of Dirty Harry as Prime Minister.
11. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Vladimir Lapskiy, NATO Is Playing, Everyone Is
Losing. Two Months of the Balkan War. Interim Results.]

Who runs Russia? The flower lady knows

MOSCOW, May 30 (AFP) - Anna Valentinova sells roses to the bustle of Moscow
with an idea about who is running her country -- and it has little to do with
President Boris Yeltsin.

"Yes, all these changes," said the young woman inside one of the hubs that
surround the Russian capital's metro stations. "But what else is new? Today
there is Berezovsky. Tomorrow it will be his friend."

Other Muscovites agree. The name Boris Berezovsky and his friend Roman
Abramovich have become folklore in a Russia that sees one government
inexplicably transform into another.

Russians have been introduced to four different cabinets in just over a year.
Who makes decisions to sack or keep these ministers has become a sidewalk
debate as Yeltsin's power and health steadily dim and his inner-circle's
repute grows wider.

But who?

Some of the most experienced journalists in Moscow concede that they only
report rumours and have little precise information about what makes the
reclusive Yeltsin hire or fire his troops at will.

"I have met Abramovich once, so I know that he really exists," said Echo
Moscow radio editor Alexei Venediktov, a journalist who likes to break news.

"I don't know how Abramovich became this big. But he says that he is bigger
than Berezovsky."

Russia eight years after the fall of Communism stands a nation which is --
reportedly -- run by The Family.

That is how Russia's aging and nearly invisible president's trusted Kremlin
advisors are referred to both in the Moscow media and on the street.

"His little daughter is running the country," declared one Moscow cab driver.
"I doubt she has the time for me."

The Kremlin line-up according to conventional wisdom consists of Yeltsin's
daughter Tatyana Dyachenko -- she holds an official post as her father's
image maker -- Abramovich, Berezovsky, former chief of staff Valentin
Yumashev and his successor Alexander Voloshin.

Abramovich is Berezovsky's hand-picked replacement at the head of Russia's
seventh-largest oil company Sibneft.

These five hold power because, as some say, they have a say in what Russia's
ailing president knows.

"I am not certain that all the information reaches the president," remarked
Sergei Kolmakov, deputy head of the influential Fond Politika institute.

"Channels by which Yeltsin receives news are strictly monitored by the
family."

In essence these sentiments are not new. Yeltsin has been sick many times
before and others, including the reformer Anatoly Chubais, have been accused
of once acting as the Kremlin chief's gate-keeper.

But now Yeltsin and his latest premier, former top police and interior
ministry troops chief Sergei Stepashin, are having big problems actually
having a government stick together.

And Russians blame this on fierce infighting between the president's family
and other economic groupings striving for power -- a battle which Yeltsin has
done little publicly to mediate.

The finance ministry post for one has turned into Moscow journalistic legend,
the Kommersant daily sarcastically reporting that it belonged to three people
at once.

It has been reported to belonged to Mikhail Zadornov -- now retired -- Vitkor
Khristenko and Mikhail Kasyanov at once. The post which decides who gets how
much money in Russia remains unassigned.

The Kremlin, if reading official dispatches, says it is happy that the
government's formation is going -- while slowly -- quite well.

But some people on Moscow streets have a view that would make Russian
officials blush.

"Yeltsin is helpless," the flower lady said. "His government is helpless.
What we have is a disgrace."

The Independent on Sunday (UK)
May 39, 1999
[for personal use only]
Russian internet boss stands up to spies
By Phil Reeves in Moscow

FOR THE first time, a Russian internet provider is threatening to go to court
to prevent the security services from spying on his clients, and secretly
reading their electronic mail.

Nail Murzakhanov, who runs the company in Volgograd, took the risky and
highly unusual step of refusing to allow agents from the Federal Security
Service (FSB from its Russian initials) access to his system.

His case is a chilling example of the Russian security services intense
efforts to bring internet activity under surveillance, allowing them to
monitor electronic mail and on-line activity of individuals and businesses
without a warrant.

The officials cite a regulation, issued last year by the FSB and Goskomsvyaz,
the government's communications committee, which not only requires internet
providers to give on-line access to their agents, but makes the companies pay
for the technology.

Mr Murzakhanov, 33, told the Independent on Sunday that the FSB approached
him earlier this year demanding that he swiftly applies the regulation -
known as SORM-2 - and provides training for security services agents, showing
them how to carry out the monitoring. A detailed letter, which outlined the
plan, stated that his three-year-old company, Bayard-Slavia Communications,
would lose its operating licence if it refused to comply. He was given until
this month to have the equipment ready for use - an instruction he has
ignored.

His company is believed to be the first internet provider in Russia to refuse
to co-operate. He bases his defiant and - given the FSB's intimidation record
- courageous stand on the argument that SORM-2 is a draft law, violating
privacy laws and the Russian constitution. But it is also a question of
principle. "I am a family man with two children," he said. "I want them to
grow up in a free society."

More ominously, Mr Murzakhanov, who is general director of his company, says
that the FSB ordered him to provide a list of his clients, including their
internet passwords, phone numbers and addresses, and wanted them updated
monthly. Again, he refused.If applied, he says, the law would enable the
security services to pry into, and even rewrite, electronic mail. "The FSB
will be able to control everything that goes on in the country from their
garrets, bunkers and basements, at the expense of the internet provider.

He said he would co-operate with the security services if they were hunting a
criminal. "But we refuse to work with them secretly, without any control.
Other internet providers have already signed a document committing themselves
to silence, as it is a state secret."

There is some evidence that the FSB's monitoring has been in force for some
time. In the past political groups in Moscow - including liberal group
Yabloko - have complained that their e-mail is regularly delayed, because it
is being intercepted by the security services.

"It all amounts to a violation of human rights," said Mr Murzakhanov. "If it
carries on like this, I believe they will close us down." He has changed all
his clients' passwords and is lodging documents with lawyers.

"I am not afraid," he said. "Now that this case is public, it is in their
interests to ensure my safety. My friends won't be silent. People come to see
me to express their support. They know that I am an honest person, but if
they try to strangle our enterprise I will not be silent." The Federal
Security Services refused to comment.

********

New York Times
May 30, 1999
[for personal use only]
A Plea to Yeltsin: Free Russia From `Puppet Masters'
By CELESTINE BOHLEN

MOSCOW -- Yegor Gaidar, a former prime minister who began Russia's economic
reforms in 1992, appealed urgently to President Boris Yeltsin on Saturday to
stop the "puppet masters" who Gaidar and several political analysts say are
manipulating the country's 10-day-old government.

"It will be impossible to gain confidence in democracy in Russia, if it
becomes clear to all that the government is not governing anything, that the
puppet masters behind it are guiding and manipulating the government as if it
were a puppet," Gaidar said at the opening congress of a new liberal party
called the Right Cause.

Gaidar's call came one day after a top Cabinet minister's abrupt resignation,
which has threatened to unravel the government of prime minister Sergei
Stepashin, nominated by Yeltsin on May 12 to replace Yevgeny Primakov.

The resignation of former Finance Minister Mikhail Zadornov, a respected
financial expert, has seriously undercut Stepashin's authority, and signaled
the tightening grip of a small group of insiders and financiers on the
Kremlin, and through it, on the government.

Stepashin had backed Zadornov's appointment as one of his two top deputies in
an attempt to counterbalance the growing influence of Nikolai Aksyonenko, a
former railways minister who is seen as the agent of a clique lead by Boris
Berezovsky and his onetime business partner Roman Abramovich.

"Surrender," read the headline Saturday in the business newspaper Kommersant,
accompanied by the clarification, "Yeltsin is not president, Stepashin is not
prime minister."

Even by Russian standards, which long ago were stretched to accommodate
widespread corruption and malfeasance in government, the blatant and
seemingly venal struggle over the Stepashin Cabinet is disturbing. In
particular, political observers are shocked by the fight over appointments to
such traditionally lucrative posts as the head of the pension fund, the
customs committee and the giant government arms-trading agency.

On its evening news program Friday night, a reporter for NTV, Russia's
largest private TV channel, warned of an attempt to "privatize the
government." Mikhail Berger, editor of the daily Sevodnya, wrote in a
front-page commentary Saturday that "the small Politburo that has taken shape
inside the Kremlin has practically no limits and most importantly is
absolutely indifferent to all that is said and thought about its actions."

"And that's not a problem," Berger added, "it's a real tragedy."

Aksyonenko, who had publicly challenged Zadornov's authority to conduct
Russia's macroeconomic policy, calmly disputed such alarmist reports. "I
don't feel any crisis," he told reporters. "The crisis exists only in your
talk."

Gaidar urged Yeltsin Saturday to step in and protect not only his chosen
prime minister but also his legacy as Russia's first democratically elected
president.

"The developments of the past few days are discrediting Russian democracy in
the world," Gaidar said, "and what is even more dangerous, they are
discrediting Russian democracy inside Russia. We have paid too high a price
for democracy to carelessly dissipate trust in democratic institutions."