April 18, 1999
This Date's Issues: 32453246

I think I need to restate my evolving sentiments about
JRL and the war in Yugoslavia. I don't like to disappoint
people and I am getting far more messages on this subject
than there is room for. So: JRL is not a vehicle for debate
among the recipients about the merits of the war. (With a few
rare exceptions). There are lots of other places for that.
I will pass on a few articles that are different than the
articles that most of us can easily read everyday in our local
newspapers and magazines. This is a reasonable action on my part,
consistent with the underlying philosophy of JRL. (Making room
for diversity.) Should not be a cause for anger. But it surely
and sadly is. Perhaps my own fault. Of course, items related to
Russia and Yugoslavia are welcome. As is friendly advice.
1. U.S. News and World Report: Helping hand.
2. Interfax: Russian Army Chief Denies State of Emergency Rumors.
3. Reuters: Powerful Moscow mayor denies invited to be PM.
4. Reuters: Russia's Berezovsky returning, denies breaking law.
5. Baltimore Sun: Kathy Lally, Russia fawns over its starlet. (Pugacheva).
6. AFP: Russia seeks to revive Balkans peace push.
7. Reuters: Ivanov says NATO allies planning for ground troops.
8. Matt Taibbi: Eric Chenoweth.
9. Laura Belin: re: Watson/3245.
10. St. Petersburg Times editorial: Russia Must Play Delicate Balkans Role.
11. Alexander Studenikin: Moscow conference on intelligentsia.
12. Moscow Times: Garfield Reynolds, Kapitalizm Seen From a Wider Angle.
(Review of Rose Brady's "Kapitalizm").

13. New York Times: Jack Matlock reviews Martin Malia's RUSSIA UNDER
WESTERN
EYES.]

U.S. News and World Report
4/26/99
WASHINGTON WHISPERS
Helping hand

Russia may be threatening to start a world war over NATO's Kosovo
involvement, but that hasn't slowed down efforts by the U.S. Embassy in
Moscow to make nice with the locals. The embassy and the USAID are moving to
help Russia's orphans, especially the disabled. New parents will get
counseling on why they should keep their kids instead of abandoning them;
improved foster care will be promoted; teens will be advised on how to get
jobs and on sex education. Objectives of the program include "the prevention
of abandonment and institutionalization, and the promotion of community
rehabilitation," says an embassy official

Russian Army Chief Denies State of Emergency Rumors

Moscow, Apr 14 (Interfax) -- Commander-in-Chief of
Russia's interior troops Gen. Col. Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov has refuted the
opposition's claim that national law enforcement agencies have allegedly
been instructed to work out a plan for declaring a state of emergency in
Russia. "I know nothing of plans to declare a state of emergency in
Russia," the commander said at a briefing in Moscow on Wednesday [14
April]. He was also critical of the State Duma lawmakers' plans to start
impeachment proceedings against President Boris Yeltsin. "The initiators
of impeachment are pulling the rug out from under their own feet," the
general said. To make his point clearer, he noted that deputies name the
war in Chechnya among the main charges against the head of state. "If
military actions in that republic are found criminal, then servicemen
will wonder whether they are doing the right thing by obeying the
leadership's orders," the general said, adding that this may have an
extremely negative effect on the troops' morale.

Powerful Moscow mayor denies invited to be PM

MOSCOW, April 17 (Reuters) - The powerful mayor of Russia's capital city,
Yuri Luzhkov, denied on Saturday that President Boris Yeltsin had invited him
to be prime minister and said he would turn down the job if asked.

Russian media have said the unpredictable and volatile Yeltsin was unhappy at
the growing influence of Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, and speculate he
might want him out of office.

But Luzhkov said he had held no discussions with Yeltsin, whom he met last
week, about becoming prime minister.

``And even if there was such talk, I would not agree to take up the post of
chairman of the government,'' Interfax news agency quoted him as saying.

Luzhkov is usually seen more as a potential candidate for the presidency. He
said he had good relations with Primakov -- sidelined for a day last week
with back pain -- although he said he had criticised the prime minister for
not doing enough to support the real sector of the economy, meaning
manufacturing.

Russia's Berezovsky returning, denies breaking law

MOSCOW, April 18 (Reuters) - Russian financier and politician Boris
Berezovsky, wanted for questioning by prosecutors as part of an
investigation into alleged illegal business activities, was due to return
to Moscow on Sunday.

Interfax news agency quoted Berezovsky, who was in France when an arrest
warrant was issued against him earlier this month, as saying by telephone
that he was returning ``absolutely calmly because he has nothing to be
guilty about.''

The Russian prosecutor general's office lifted the arrest warrant last week
but said it still wanted to talk to Berezovsky, who says the charges
against him are groundless and politically motivated.

Berezovsky, a fierce anti-communist who built a financial empire in the
aftermath of the break-up of the former Soviet Union, told Interfax that he
had never broken the law. ``All of the accusations levelled against me,
without exception, are false.''

The controversial businessman-turned-politician has criticised the
government of Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov and accused him of
sanctioning a campaign against him, but Primakov has denied ordering
Berezovsky's arrest.

Berezovsky, who helped to fund President Boris Yeltsin's 1996 re-election
campaign, was once widely regarded as having vast influence behind the
scenes in Russian politics through his links to Yeltsin's family.

But he says his influence has been overestimated.

Berezovsky was sacked at Yeltsin's request earlier this month from his post
as Executive Secretary of the Commonwealth of Independent States, which
loosely groups the former Soviet republics.

Baltimore Sun
April 16, 1999
[for personal use only]
Russia fawns over its starlet
Celebrity: For her 50th birthday, singer Pugacheva gets hero's welcome at
the Kremlin.
By Kathy Lally
Sun Foreign Staff
MOSCOW

MOSCOW -- The crowd pressed close together in the corner of a muddy
apartment courtyard yesterday, people fragrant with garlic, sausages, beer
and French perfume.

A father balanced a toddler on his shoulders and a video camera in his
hand; old women rested heavy shopping bags; model-like beauties strode
about, mobile phones pressed to their ears; women in fluorescent orange
work jackets put down cups of ugly green paint, to watch and dream.

They all awaited Alla Pugacheva, a national heroine who turned 50
yesterday. They waited, some holding a single red rose, others a bouquet of
yellow ones, standing cheerfully in an oppressive morning fog, simply
because she is a star, the nation's most-loved and longest-enduring pop
singer.

Her birthday was the top story on TV news programs, ahead of death in
Yugoslavia, attempts to avoid a world war and crucial World Bank
negotiations. Boris N. Yeltsin summoned her to the Kremlin, and gave her
the Order of Service to the Fatherland, second rank, apologizing that it
was not the first rank, held exclusively by the president as a symbol of
power.

Outside her apartment building, the crowd cheered and chanted her name when
she headed toward her stretch limousine, a white Lincoln Town Car from
Brea, Calif., that looked about 5 blocks long, though it's said to be 30 feet.

"I'm going to the Kremlin," she said, saying the word "Kremlin" as if in
italics, as if she were an ordinary person just like them, one moment
standing in the Moscow mud, the next swept off to the Kremlin with the rich
and famous. "I'm going to get a special order. I want to tell you it's not
mine but yours. If it were not for you, I wouldn't be getting it."

Alla Pugacheva has been famous ever since 1975, when she won a contest
singing a song called "Harlequin." Since then, the nation has seen her
through four marriages, the birth of a grandson, 150 million records, a few
face lifts, serious weight gains, diets, surgery, weight loss and constant,
lively gossip.

She is a consummately Russian heroine, admired as the perfect grandmother,
performing in white go-go boots, dresses high above the knee. When she's
heavy, the dresses billow like mini choir robes. When she's thin, they're
slinky and diaphanous.

Her songs are melodramatic. Her voice is raspy from too many cigarettes,
too much vodka and plenty of pain. She wears big hair and high heels. Her
fourth husband, a baby-faced pop singer named Filipp Kirkorov, is 18 years
younger than she is.

A month ago, the volatile politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky demanded that
presidential impeachment proceedings, scheduled for today, be postponed so
as not to distract from the important business of her birthday. At the last
minute, they were.

Yesterday, she was dressed modestly as she headed off to the Kremlin,
wearing a long black dress with a black jacket, carrying a cigarette in a
long black holder. Her hair, sometimes a bright, shouting red, was streaked
red, blond and brown. Her makeup was understated -- her husband had pinker
lips and darker foundation than she.

When she burst onto the stage, Leonid Brezhnev was presiding from the
Kremlin over what were called the years of stagnation. She quickly
attracted scandalized attention. In those gray days of conformity, she
spoke louder than other women. She smoked rakishly. She charged across the
stage in fancy costumes, full of showmanship, glamour and abandon. She was
said to swear. They called her vulgar, sometimes coarse. She made the
authorities uneasy.

"She never sang about politics," said Inna Rudenko, a well-known
journalist. "In a cold, hypocritical time, she sang about simple, natural
feelings. And she sang in such a way that every song was a riot against the
hypocrisy and heartlessness, against being an automaton. She wanted to live
and not just to exist."

In a repressed society, she acted as if she were free.

"I remember her youth," Maria Dyomina, 76, said yesterday as she waited
outside Pugacheva's apartment. "Those memories give me a good feeling."

"She's a national hero," said Fyodor Shirokov, a 19-year-old student
wearing a black leather jacket and carrying a backpack with the name of the
rock group Queen emblazoned on it.

"There's no one equal to her," said Leya Redzhini, 36. "She's not afraid to
change her style. She has changed with the times."

She even has an Internet site dedicated to her: www.alla.net.

In the late '70s, Russians told this joke: "Who was Brezhnev?" a child
asks, 20 years into the future. "He was a political figure who lived in the
Pugacheva era."

Yesterday, a playful Yeltsin summoned up that old joke.

"I'm happy to be remembered as one of the political leaders of the
Pugacheva era," he said in the reception hall were he entertains the high
and mighty. Yeltsin pinned a medal on Pugacheva's jacket and hung another
around her neck. She smiled and gave a thumbs up.

"If we were going to drink ...," she began, then caught herself and said,
"I forgot, you don't drink anymore."

The president interrupted. "We're going to drink. We're going to drink."

They clinked champagne glasses, and drank.

Russia seeks to revive Balkans peace push

MOSCOW, April 18 (AFP) - Russia will revive its push for a solution to the
Balkans crisis this week when former prime minister Viktor Chernomyrdin
unveils a new peace strategy.

Chernomyrdin will meet with President Boris Yeltsin on Monday to work out
how to revive Moscow's flagging efforts to defuse the escalating military
stand-off between Belgrade and NATO.

The former Russian premier, appointed as Yeltsin's special envoy on
Yugoslavia on Wednesday after previous mediation efforts by the government
failed, did not rule out an early trip to Belgrade to meet with Yugoslav
President Slobodan Milosevic.

"I am always ready," Chernomyrdin said, when asked when he would travel.
Chernomyrdin, well-known in western circles and in Belgrade, has already
consulted a string of western ambassadors and the Yugoslav envoy in Moscow,
as well as foreign ministry officials to get briefed on the situation.

In another bid to solve the crisis, according to media reports here,
Russian Patriarch Alexy II will leave for Belgrade on Tuesday for a one-day
visit for talks with Yugoslav leaders and the head of the Serb Orthodox
Church, Patriarch Pavle,.

Patriarchate officials would say only that such plans were under
consideration and was no more forthcoming when asked about plans for Alexy
II to visit Begrade on a spiritual mission in support for Russia's Orthodox
allies.

The patriarchate has already denounced the NATO air strikes on Yugoslav
targets, voicing a fury which is widespread in Russia at the campaign to
punish Belgrade for rejecting an international agreement granting autonomy
to the Albanian-populated province of Kosovo.

"Suppressing a nation entirely will never result in a lasting peace," Alexy
II said recently.

But the patriarch will also call on Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic
to respect human rights in Kosovo, according to Patriarchate officials
quoted by Interfax.

Russia has also thrown its weight behind the humanitarian relief mission
for the hundreds of thousands of refugees driven out of Kosovo.

After a land convoy brought in some 900 tonnes of humanitarian aid for
victims of the conflict last week, an aircraft carrying more supplies took
off from the Volga town of Saratov on Sunday, Russian television reported.

"We are sending medicine and food to Macedonia," said regional governor
Dmitry Ayatskov, adding that his region was ready to accommodate up to
50,000 refugees should the need arise, despite the continuing economic
crisis in Russia itself.

"My proposal to accommodate 50,000 refugees from Yugoslavia has aroused a
great deal of controversy, but I would like to confirm these plans,"
Ayatskov was quoted by Interfax as saying. "We have enough space to
accommodate these people and enough jobs to offer them."

Ivanov says NATO allies planning for ground troops

MADRID, April 18 (Reuters) - Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov was
quoted on Sunday as saying that NATO allies were planning for a ground
force in Kosovo but were not saying so as they did not want to upset public
opinion.

Ivanov said in an interview with the Spanish daily El Pais that Russia was
gathering evidence that the allies were making plans for a ground troop
invasion of Yugoslavia.

``This danger (ground troops) exists and each day it is worse,'' said
Ivanov, a former ambassador to Spain.

``But it is understood that it could cause many victims, including among
the invaders, and in order to calm public opinion they say there will not
be a ground operation,'' he said. ``But we have very precise data that it
is still being prepared.''

Ivanov, who said that NATO has violated its promises to Moscow, said Russia
like all countries wanted to see an end to the crisis in the Balkans.

``I did not go to Oslo on Tuesday to fight with (U.S.) Secretary of State
Madeleine Albright, to issue demands, but to discuss the way we can find a
political way out of the conflict, to exchange points of view and search
for a way to bring our positions closer,'' he said. ``We are all on the
same ship.''

Ivanov said the air strikes began mainly so NATO could show its might and
could act independently from the United Nations.

``Before the (NATO) meeting in Washington, during which they will approve a
new military strategy, they want to show the role that the Alliance thinks
to play in the 21st century.''

NATO is holding a summit in Washington this week to mark the allaince's
50th anniversary and to welcome three new members.