March 4, 1999
This Date's Issues: 3076 3077

1. Moscow Times editorial: Down With Donuts, Up With Bagels .
2. Itar-Tass: Patriarch Speaks of CHILDREN'S Suicide.
3. AFP: Form government from deputies, Russian Duma leader tells
Yeltsin.(Vladimir Ryzhkov).

4. Anthony D'Agostino: Re McFaul/3074.
5. Itar-Tass: Civic Consensus to Underlie YELTSIN'S Address to
Parliament.

6. Mark Scheuer: IMF loans.
7. Don Loewen: Thatcherists of Russia.
8. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: WILL PRIMAKOV PERSONALLY ASK GORE
TO INTERVENE WITH THE IMF?

9. Bloomberg: Russian Economy, Markets Defy Many Doomsayers for Now.
10. REMODERNISING RUSSIA: THE ROLE OF THE LEFT: Boris Kagarlitsky
interviews Anatoly Baranov, public relations director for the Russian
aviation firm MAPO.

11. Washington Post: David Hoffman, Yeltsin's Absentee Rule Raises
Specter of a 'Failed State.'

12. Moscow Times: Andrei Piontkovsky, SEASON OF DISCONTENT: Andropov
and Brezhnev Meet In Primakov.

13. Financial Times: BEREZOVSKY: Tycoon's revelations fall flat.]

*****

Moscow Times
March 4, 1999
EDITORIAL: Down With Donuts, Up With Bagels

Dunkin' Donuts is gone. They have closed down their small Moscow operation and
pulled out.

Some might bemoan this as a cowardly retreat - and indeed, it is a cruel cut
when one can't find a Boston Creme donut at the Starlite Diner. But here at
The Moscow Times, we are defiantly wiping away our tears, stiffening our
quivering upper lips and crying out: Good riddance!

What is the donut, after all, but a symbol of the self-indulgence and
superficiality of the pre-ruble devaluation go-go years? Mass produced and
sticky, the donut belongs to that brief era when the Russian stock market was
the "world's best performer" - back in the days when President Boris Yeltsin
was a figure of manly vigor, and when smug expatriates with bad grammar would
lecture Russians for their insufficient appreciation of "reformers" like
Mikhail Gorbachev, Yegor Gaidar and Sergei Kiriyenko. Those were the days when
prostitutes brazenly roamed Tverskaya Ulitsa, American officials gushed about
the Kremlin's "economic dream team" and every foreigner who had been in Moscow
a month would knowingly show off his or her financial-marketspeak by tossing
around acronyms like ADR and GKO.

And then it all collapsed, almost like a Boston Creme donut that had been sat
upon ... or something like that. The get-rich-quick expatriates left. Dunkin'
Donuts departed. Left behind in Moscow were Russia's truest foreign friends -
and the bagel.

It is significant that before the ruble devaluation, there were no bagels in
Moscow. Too ethnic. Too steady. Too chewy. Yet today the Great Canadian Bagel
chain reigns supreme, and the bagel deserves to be a symbol for an era of more
introspective and healthier activity. The donut, that factory-made pseudo
cuisine, could never have been the Russian national idea. By contrast, the
bagel easily could fill that hole. For all we know, the bagel could even be of
Russian origin (it certainly isn't Canadian).

Not so long ago, everyone was getting wildly rich on an unsustainable
speculative bubble - fat, jacked up on concentrated sugar and intellectually
lazy. Now savvy expatriates in Moscow are thoughtfully chewing on repentance
and wholesome fibers - and bracing themselves for the inevitable Western
television and newspaper accounts that claim to see international economic
significance in the closing of two Moscow donut stands. There will be nothing
said in such reports of the $100 million plans for 19 more Russian MacDonald's
this year, of the 200 new Bridgestone Tire shops on the way over the next four
years, of Skanska AB's $1 billion Sheremetyevo airport facelift intentions.

Yes, the donut is dead.

So long live the bagel.

Patriarch Speaks of CHILDREN'S Suicide.

MOSCOW, March 3 (Itar-Tass) - Alexy II Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia
addressed children's suicide among other subjects at a press conference in his
Moscow residence which followed the ceremony of awarding him a breastplate of
honour by a regional club of newspapers.

Alexy said facts of suicide of children are explainable by vulnerability of
their souls pained by stepped up propaganda of the idea that human life costs
little.

The patriarch said ethical void is characteristic of the present-day education
of teenagers, who find its formative surrogates in get-together set in entry
lobbies of houses, archways, garrets and discotheques or derive them from
television.

Views of the Soviet-era Young Communist, or Komsomol, and pioneer leagues can
vary, but they did attend to leisure of children, now left to their own
devices, Alexy said. And the void of soul is always filled in by surrogates,
he said.

He cited as an example the all-pervading Western action movies. What can they
teach by their fare of up to 20 murders that go with impunity, Alexy asked.

He said he had visited a penal colony in Vitebsk, where he found 13-14-year-
old serving their time for murders.

Alexy went on to say that numbers of orphanages are increasing in Russia.
Statistics report an abundance of cases of children fleeing from their
alcoholic and drug addict parents and hell of their lives home.

He recalled how the Russian Children's Fund introduced him to a family which
adopted ten children of different ethnicities from orphanages. Alexy said such
facts speak volumes of Russia's soul and of its being more than a country of
rampant crime pictured by the media.

The patriarch cited the missionary work of Orthodox priests in military units,
where they saved many downcast soldiers headed for fatality.

Alexy said his frequent visits to Sunday schools left him with the belief that
their pupils will not be lost for the future. This prompts the crucial
importance of returning to spiritual and ethical beginnings, he said.

Russia with its 1000-year history should not borrow the alien experience but
should look to its own traditions, Alexy said.

His summary of the suicide topic was in a way of a soft-spoken aside, given
that succumbing to despondency and suicide are defined by the Russian Orthodox
Church as two gravest sins.

"One must not commit suicide from despondency. One should try out all of
possible ways out and, what is more, to appeal for help to people who are
carriers of spiritual principles," Alexy said.

Form government from deputies, Russian Duma leader tells Yeltsin

MOSCOW, March 3 (AFP) - A leading Russian centrist on Wednesday urged
President Boris Yeltsin to form a government based on a parliamentary majority
so as to avoid endless friction between the Kremlin and Communist deputies.

"Never in our history have we had a responsible parliament," said Our Home Is
Russia parliament faction leader Vladimir Ryzhkov.

"For six years in a row we have had an opposition parliament which never
carried any responsibility for anything while the nation suffered," Ryzhkov
said. "Russia cannot survive this much longer."

Under Russia's current constitution, the president handpicks his government,
leaving parliament sidelined as little more than a professional debating
chamber.

As a result, Communists who dominate the State Duma lower house of parliament
are almost permanently in conflict with the head of state, and are currently
pushing for Yeltsin's impeachment.

But the current cabinet headed by Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov is trying to
change all that by pushing through a "political truce" intended to end strife
between Communists and the Kremlin ahead of the approaching parliamentary and
presidential elections.

That document is currently being drafted by a working group that includes
Ryzhkov.

The deputy said that final text of the agreement might be ready by Friday but
the Kremlin was putting up a stiff fight against a provision requiring Yeltsin
to cede on the issue of forming the government from the Duma's largest
factions.

"That is the one major stumbling block," Ryzhkov said.

He further argued that allowing opposition forces into the government en masse
would work in the Kremlin's favor since it would make Communists more
responsible for economic and social policies.

"Right now parliamentarians are busy reading slogans without giving any
thought about whether there is any money in the budget to fund the promises,"
he said.

All sides have already agreed to a political provision within the non-
aggression pact keeping Primakov at the head of state at least through the
year-end, Ryzhkov said.

He added that the Kremlin was further ready to accept the formation of a
constitutional commission that could study potential changes to Russia's basic
law.

"Yeltsin's side in principle has agreed to some constitutional changes,"
Ryzhkov said. "That in and of itself is revolutionary."

The Russian leader in the past had fought off Communist demands to alter the
1993 basic law that is heavily tilted in favor of the presidency. But Yeltsin
has come under intense pressure to formally cede power due to his repeated
illnesses.