December 31, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2538  2539

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
1. Moscow Times editorial: A New Year's Wish List For Russia.
2. Reuters: Russians turn to sorcery for white winter holiday.
3. AP: Russia Inflation Hits 84 Percent.
4. Dale Herspring: Lebed.
5. Bill Ross: More top-down view of Lebed.
6. Wayan Vota: Re 2538-D. Gusev: Nukes.
7. Keith Hudson: Who has the virtual economy?
8. The Electronic Telegraph: Marcus Warren, Monks lay foundations of
Orthodox revival.

9. Sovetskaya Rossiya: Zyuganov Statement on 'Jewish Question.'
10. The Times (UK): Anna Blundy, Fatherhood takes on new meaning for
sperm donor.

11. Moscow Times: Russell Working, LETTER FROM VLADIVOSTOK: Russians
Show Whiners The Way to Take Delays.

12. Interfax; Communist Win 21 Percent of Votes in Hypothetical
Elections.

13. Literaturnaya Gazeta: Dmitriy Gayev, director of the Moscow Metro
System.

14. Interfax: Prosecutor Outlines Damage Caused by Economic Crime.
15. Itar-Tass: Tourism Official Says Russia not Dangerous to Visitors.]

******

Visit http://www.moscowtimes.ru
Moscow Times
December 31, 1998
EDITORIAL: A New Year's Wish List For Russia

We at The Moscow Times certainly wish for peace and goodwill on Earth,
but here are a few tendentious hopes for what the coming year will bring.
High on the wish list for 1999 of any friend of Russia must be a serious
war in the Persian Gulf. Although it might be a little hard on the Arab
world, a good war in the Middle East would do a lot to push up the price of
oil on world markets. And unless crude oil rises to $15 a barrel, nothing
the government or the International Monetary Fund does will turn the
Russian economy around.
We also earnestly hope for a sharp rise in anti-Semitism in sections of
the Russian Communist Party. Once again this may be a bit unpleasant for
Russia's Jewish population but it could have the virtuous side effect of
causing a split in the party.
The rabid Jew haters in the party like Viktor Ilyukhin and Albert
Makashov would split off to form a lunatic fringe Nationalist Soviet
Communist Party. The moderates in the party - if there are any - would keep
the Russian Communist Party label. Hopefully, divided, the communist vote
in the upcoming State Duma elections would be sharply reduced.
We wish President Boris Yeltsin moderate but not excessive good health
in the coming year. Moderate good health should allow him to see out his
term and provide some sort of stability as the elections go forward.
But if Yeltsin started to feel too well, that might be a very bad thing.
Yeltsin might start getting ideas about running for an unconstitutional
third term or he might start illegally interfering in the election process
to handpick a successor.
We want a banker in jail. We do not care which one. Ideally, it should
be a high profile oligarch involved in the shares-for-loans scheme or some
other wickedness. But we would be content if it were just a small fish. It
would do a lot of good for morale.
We hope that Russia loses its seat on the United Nations Security
Council. This would be a blow to national pride but it might give Russia,
which has the gross domestic product of Belgium, a clearer idea of its
importance and power in the world. Hopefully, without the prospect of
strutting its stuff at the UN, Russia will not spend so much energy
defending rogue regimes in Iraq and Serbia and will instead start worrying
about things that actually affect it.
Not too many people would claim that 1998 was a great year for Russia.
But take the long view. It was better than 1917 and 1941. And better than
1995 when the war raged in Chechnya. We are still hopeful.

Russians turn to sorcery for white winter holiday

MOSCOW, Dec 30 (Reuters) - A coven of witches and wizards will try to use
their supernatural powers on New Year's Eve to change Moscow's unseasonably
mild weather and bring snow to the Russian capital, RIA news agency said on
Wednesday.
It said the sorcerers would gather on Red Square in front of the Kremlin
with
barrels of ice-cold water which they plan to whack with their broomsticks.
The flying water is then supposed to turn into snow with the help of various
arcane rituals and spells, RIA said, quoting sources ``close to the
supernatural powers.''
The witches and wizards decided to hold their meet after Muscovites
complained
of a big drop in temperatures, which has turned the capital's traditional snow
into slush and puddles.
New Year is the main winter holiday for Russians and is followed by the
Orthodox Christian Christmas on January 7. Russians usually enjoy a white New
Year and Christmas but in recent days temperatures in Moscow have hovered
around zero Celsius (32 Fahrenheit).
In November they dipped below minus 30C (minus 22F).
RIA said the witches and wizards had the backing of the Moscow city
government
and of Father Frost, the Russian answer to Santa Claus, and his assistant the
Snow Maiden.
The Russian weather service on Wednesday suggested sorcery might not be
needed
as they predicted temperatures of minus 10 C (14 Fahrenheit) for Thursday.

Russia Inflation Hits 84 Percent
By Greg Myre
December 31, 1998

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russian inflation, which appeared under control until a
financial crisis struck last summer, hit 84 percent for 1998, the
government said today.
With Russia still mired in crisis, many private economists expect the
rate for 1999 to be as high, if not higher.
In preparing the 1999 federal budget, Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov's
government has forecast inflation at 30 percent, but many analysts regard
this as overly optimistic.
Russia suffered from hyperinflation for several years after it moved to
a market economy in 1992, but the government seemed to be taming inflation
in recent years.
The rate was 11 percent in 1997 and the government was expecting
single-digit inflation for 1998 until the financial crisis struck in August.
Since then, the Russian currency has lost much of its value, the
government has effectively defaulted on some of its debts and the economy
has been shrinking.
The economy contracted about 5 percent in 1998 and Russia remained
trapped in one of the worst depressions ever experienced by an
industrialized nation.
Primakov warned government bureaucrats today that their salaries would
not be increased until the incomes of the country's poorest citizens began
rising.
``I don't think ... it would be correct to raise salaries for ourselves
without raising the salaries of the poorest citizens,'' Primakov said.
``We cannot turn Russia into an economically prosperous country in just
a few months, but it's our duty to do as much as possible,'' he was quoted
as saying by the Interfax news agency.
An estimated 42 million Russians, nearly one-third of the entire
population, is living below the official poverty line, the government says.
Meanwhile, a Russian court has declared one of the country's largest
banks bankrupt, clearing the way for the first liquidation of a major bank
since the August crisis.
The Moscow Arbitration Court ruled this week that Tokobank was bankrupt
and that its assets should be distributed among creditors, The Moscow Times
reported.
The bank was once among the 20 largest in Russia, but now has debts of
$363 million and assets of just $165 million, the newspaper reported.
Russia has some 1,500 banks, but many have been hard hit by the
financial crisis and have either closed or are providing only limited
services.
In another development, the Central Bank said Russia's hard currency
reserves stood at $12.3 billion as of Dec. 25.