November 8, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2465 2466

1. Reuters: Alastair Macdonald, ANALYSIS-Yeltsin ``revolution'' may be
over.

2. Anonymous: Request for information on northern regions. (DJ: I can
forward responses or circulate them if of general interest.)

3. Boston Globe: David Filipov, Russia's Arctic north holds extra perils
in coming winter.

4. Barbi Harris: homeless children in Russia.
5. Web page of Moscow Center for Arms Control, Energy and Environmental
Studies.

6. AP: Russia Tycoon: Ban Communists. (Berezovsky).
7. Fred Weir: Re 2464-Ekman/Lubyanka Demo.
8. New York Times editorial: Parlous Times in Russia.
9. Los Angeles Times: John-Thor Dahlburg, WHAT NOW FOR RUSSIA?
10. Washington Post: Jim Hoagland, Russia: What Went Wrong?
11. Itar-Tass: Winter Fuel Reserves in Regions Said Very Low.
12. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian Market 'Strategically Important' to U.S.
Farmers.

13. Radio Rossii Network: Russian Business Tycoon Potanin Says Thieves
Siphoned IMF Money.]

ANALYSIS-Yeltsin ``revolution'' may be over
By Alastair Macdonald

MOSCOW, Nov 8 (Reuters) - Russia's era of revolution is over, Boris Yeltsin
said on the 81st anniversary of the Bolsheviks' seizure of power in 1917.
``The revolutionary period in Russia's history is over. Finished. Forever.
There can be no repeat,'' Yeltsin said.
The sight of the tired-looking 67-year-old president, speaking on Saturday
from the Black Sea resort of Sochi where he has spent more than a week
convalescing from exhaustion, gave the impression that the Yeltsin era may be
all but over too.
Claiming credit for putting paid to authoritarian communism and installing
democracy in Russia, the ailing president sounded to many like a man more
concerned with history, and his place in it, than with the problems of the
present.
Strengthening the sense of a coming sea-change in Russian politics came a
ruling by the Constitutional Court last week that Yeltsin could not stand for
a third term in 2000. The 1993 constitution sets a limit of two consecutive
terms.
For over a year Yeltsin and his aides had kept up the suspense, suggesting his
first election in 1991 under the Soviet constitution might not count and
hinting he might try to hang on to power. So what was startling was that the
decision, by judges largely approved by Yeltsin himself, caused barely a
ripple.
``(The Constitutional Court) drew a line under the Yeltsin era only in a
formal sense,'' Georgy Satarov, a former senior aide to the president, told
Interfax news agency at the weekend.
``History had already effectively done so.''
Even some of his allies have suggested the president should step aside. Forced
to curtail travel plans last month because of what the Kremlin says is fatigue
and irregular blood pressure, some question whether he is fit to see out his
last 20 months.
Typical of the mood, a television channel that was one of Yeltsin's loudest
anti-communist backers in the 1996 election, aired a film last week to mark
the second anniversary of his heart bypass surgery. Sketching unflattering
parallels with senile 1970s dictator Leonid Brezhnev, it concluded Russia's
leaders were often too addicted to power to give up willingly.
Seemingly a lame duck leader, Yeltsin has passed much of the responsibility
for policy to Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, although the president
personally retains huge constitutional powers and control over the world's
second nuclear arsenal.
The Kremlin said on Sunday he would return to Moscow later this week to meet
Japanese Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi.
But the political focus has shifted firmly to Primakov, the 68-year-old former
spy chief, and his efforts, criticised in the West as a retreat from market
reforms, to dig Russia out of its worst economic crisis since the collapse of
communism.
Potential candidates are already gearing up for the battle to succeed the
president in an election many expect soon.
The collapse of the state finances and sharp devaluation of the rouble in
August, five months after Yeltsin had said he was stepping in personally to
supervise economic policy, opened the way for his communist opponents in
parliament to force him to appoint Primakov and a communist first deputy
premier.
The economic crisis confirmed the disillusion of most Russians with Yeltsin's
seven years of market reforms, which have been marked by hardship and
corruption on a grand scale.
An opinion poll last week found just six percent solidly in favour of market
economics, while Yeltsin's personal approval rating has long been in the low
single figures.
The president seems concerned now with preserving his place in history. His
address on Saturday to mark the 1917 revolution anniversary -- which he has
renamed Reconciliation Day -- was laced with a strong dose of self-
justification for his rule.
``I was not mistaken,'' he said referring to his decree redesignating the
November 17 holiday. It was a sentiment that he seemed to wish to apply more
broadly.
Mindful perhaps of threats from hardliners to begin criminal proceedings
against him -- parliament has already begun a move to impeach him -- Yeltsin
stressed that even today's communists were ``civilised'' and believed in
democracy and the free market.
``No matter how much our reforms are criticised today, they have achieved
their main purpose,'' Yeltsin said. ``They have changed not only the course of
history but people's minds, from animosity and hatred to tolerance and
dialogue.''
Satarov said history would remember Yeltsin for that.
``In the late 80s, the country needed just such a man,'' he said. ``He ran
ahead of us, threw himself at the wall and smashed it down...And if we're now
in a rush to reject Yeltsin, it's simply because Boris Nikolayevich has
accomplished his mission.''
Powerful business and media tycoons rallied round a deeply unpopular Yeltsin
in 1996 when there seemed a danger of a victory for old-style communism. That
threat has now faded and a new generation of politicians seems ready to take
the Kremlin.
Yeltsin has been down before, however, and some analysts warn against counting
him out too soon.
``Boris Nikolayevich (Yeltsin) is known as a seasoned fighter who could yet
unsheath his claws,'' his former campaign adviser Vyacheslav Nikonov told
Interfax at the weekend. ``It may be Boris Yeltsin himself who decides when
the Yeltsin era is over.''