November 6, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2461 2462

1. Reuters: U.S. warns Russia on printing money. (Strobe Talbott).
2. Tom Adshead: Thoughts on Kipp and Sutela in 2460.
3. Moscow Tribune: John Helmer, CLINTON'S KASHA NO FOOD FOR REFORM.
4. Robert McIntyre: Russian Mortality Crisis.
5. Dale Herspring: Kipp on Rice.
6. Moscow Times: Leonid Bershidsky, MEDIA WATCH: Jew-Bashing Isn't
Hot News.

7. Zavtra: General Albert Makashov, "Usurers of Russia" and comment
by Gennadiy Zyuganov. (DJ: Obviously, no approval is implied by
carrying this here.)

8. Reuters: Adam Tanner, Russians survive on as little as $5 a month.
9. AP: Judith Ingram, Moscow Cultural Life Feeling Squeeze.
10. Alexander Nakhimovsky: How to save Russian lives and the American
soul.]

U.S. warns Russia on printing money
By Carol Giacomo

WASHINGTON, Nov 5 (Reuters) - The United States will find it harder to back
International Monetary Fund lending for Russia if the government prints
massive amounts of new roubles, Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbott said
on Thursday.
In a speech, he expressed concern that Moscow may repeat past mistakes, like
``the massive printing of money.''
In that case, ``the economic situation will probably get worse before it gets
better and we will be far less able to help Russia through the International
Monetary Fund,'' he said.
Talbott made his comments in a speech prepared for delivery to the World
Affairs Council in Los Angeles. A copy was made available by the State
Department.
The adminstration pointman on Russia, he is to make an even more comprehensive
address on Russia on Friday at Stanford Univerity. Officials have said the
second address is expected to contain the strongest U.S. public criticism yet
of Russia's retreat from free-market economics.
In his World Affairs Council speech, Talbott stressed ``the Russians' future
course is no one's choice but their own.''
He spoke a day after the Russian government announced for the first time that
it will not pay its foreign debts next year and will seek to renegotiate the
loans.
Russia unveiled a new economic plan last week that calls for greater state
control over the economy and the rouble currency, tax breaks for industry and
some financing from the central bank through printing more money.
It has been criticised privately by U.S. officials and received a chilly
reception from foreign creditors and the Russian press.
An IMF mission left Moscow on Friday, failing to agree on the disbursement of
a previously promised $4.3 billion payment from a $22.6 billion bailout
package agreed in July.
The IMF will remain open to new talks, but Moscow must come up with a
realistic 1999 budget and a ``program which could be supported by the
international community,'' the IMF said.
Secretary of State Madeleine Albright presaged the hardening U.S. line when
she said in Chicago on Oct. 2 that Washington was not reassured that Russia's
new government had a cogent economic plan and believed the crisis there would
not soon abate.
In a speech, she said: ``The best way to help Russia now is not necessarily to
send more money.''
``More big bailouts are not by themselves going to restore investor confidence
in Russia ... In the long run, the gap between Russia's needs and its
resources must be met not by foreign bailouts but by foreign investment,'' she
said.
In his speech, Talbott found some ``good news'' in Russia despite the problems
because the country ``so far at least, is grappling with its economic dilemma
in a democratic fashion.
New Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov and his government have ``cut deals, made
compromises and embarked on programmes for which they will be held accountable
to voting citizens in parliamentary elections a year from now and in a
presidential election scheduled for the year 2000,'' he said.
He also predicted that if Russia ``can avoid the twin dangers of economic and
political meltdown,'' there is a ``good chance'' Russians will eventually
overcome the hardships they now face.