October 3, 1998
This Date's Issues: 24082409

1. Reuters: Russia's premier says kitchen gardens key for food.
2. Reuters: U.S. not yet reassured on Russia, Albright says.
3. Sovetskaya Rossiya: Central Russian Strike Council Issues Statement.
4. Mark Scheuer: Response to Simes/Saunders.
5. Victor Kalashnikov: Russian Reforms.
6. Stephen Blank: Military/relief effort.
7. Ira Straus: How to stop losing Russia: A few prescriptions.
8. Roman Serbyn: ARA and the Soviet Famine of 1921-1923.
9. Intefax: Sources Say US Considering Canceling ABM Treaty.
10. RFE/RL: Robert Lyle, Russia: Implementation Botched A Good Reform
Plan, IMF Says.

11. Itar-Tass: Poll Shows Most Russians Oppose Printing Money.]

Russia's premier says kitchen gardens key for food

MOSCOW, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Russians digging their backyard kitchen gardens
would play a major role in ensuring adequate food supplies at a time of
economic crisis, Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov said on Friday.
He suggested to a congress of regional leaders the revival of Soviet-era
cooperatives to manage produce from private plots.
"The government is taking a...series of measures to prevent a deterioration in
the supply of produce to the population under these difficult conditions," he
said, telling the regional leaders they could play a role at a local level.
"A big role here is played by the kitchen gardens owned by householders,"
Primakov said. "To bring order to the sale of this produce...we must revive
consumer cooperatives."
Such cooperatives sprang up as private plots became a mainstay of the Soviet
economy, filling the huge gap left by the woefully inefficient kolkhoz state
farms that took up most of the agricultural land in the world's biggest
national territory.
Cooperatives, often run by factories or other local groups, were intended to
channel output from private plots into shops and markets, bringing buyers and
sellers together, but in reality most failed.
Last year, Primakov said, "dacha" gardens owned by city dwellers and private
plots of the rural population provided more than 80 percent of all the
potatoes and vegetables grown in Russia and about a third of all meat and
milk.
Russia faces a poor harvest this year, with the total grain crop expected to
be some 40 percent down on last year at around 50 million tonnes. RIA news
agency quoted sources at the Agricultural Ministry as saying it planned to
import an extra four million tonnes of grain as an emergency reserve.
During the perestroika (restructuring) period of the 1980s, the cooperative
system was seen by Soviet leaders as a way of benefitting from the incentives
offered by the market economy while guarding against unfettered capitalism.
Primakov, whose coalition of liberals and leftists is still struggling to
agree a strategy to haul Russia out of economic crisis, has said market
reforms must be tempered with new state controls to spread society's wealth
more broadly.

*****

U.S. not yet reassured on Russia, Albright says
By Michael Conlon

CHICAGO, Oct 2 (Reuters) - The United States is not yet reassured that
Russia's new government has a cogent economic plan for the country and
believes the crisis there will not soon abate, Secretary of State Madeleine
Albright said on Friday.
``I cannot yet say we are reassured.... So we cannot say with confidence that
Russia will emerge from its difficulties anytime soon,'' she said in a speech
some officials described as the most comprehensive review of U.S. policy
toward Russia since the economic crisis.
Albright, speaking to the U.S.-Russia Business Council, also said ``the best
way to help Russia now is not necessarily to send more money.''
``More big bailouts are not by themselves going to restore investor confidence
in Russia.... In the long run, the gap between Russia's needs and its
resources must be met not by foreign bailouts but by foreign investment,'' she
said.
Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov, formerly foreign minister, was appointed
recently as a compromise candidate to lead a new government after the
spreading Asian economic crisis sent Russia's fledgling capitalist economy
into a tailspin.
On Thursday, Primakov announced that no new economic strategy had been
finalised after a newspaper ran what it said was the economic plan drawn up by
Communist First Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Maslyukov.
Liberals branded the scheme a return to a command economy which risked
reigniting runaway inflation.
Albright told the council: ``We have heard a lot of talk in recent days about
printing new money, indexing wages, imposing price and capital controls and
restoring state management of parts of the economy.''
``We can only wonder if some members of Primakov's team understand the basic
arithmetic of the global economy,'' she said.
audience, Albright called Primakov a ``very realistic, pragmatic defender of
Russian national interests,'' who wants to develop a market economy that will
compete globally.
``I think he is trying to find people who will do that and it is clearly not
an easy job,'' she said.
``Our initial reaction to the direction in which he is going has not been
particularly positive; so I think it is important to get messages to him....
We need to show that we have no desire to patronise or dominate or have any
kind of demeaning relationship with Russia...'' she added.
``I think he needs to hear publicly, kind of what I said here... that we're
there; we want to help but we can't do anything if you don't do anything.
There is a limited amount to what the United States or any of your business
people can do,'' she said.
``Another part of my message ...is that American business is there to stay
...for the long haul.''
In her speech, Albright said she is ``deeply concerned about what is happening
in Russia'' and ``will not downplay Russia's present crisis or suggest Russian
reformers have made all the right choices. It is a troubling fact that many
Russians have come to equate reform with theft.''
But she also advised the international community to ``be patient with the
workings of the democratic process in Russia.''
And she acknowledged that ``under the best circumstances, there will be
compromises between economic orthodoxy and political reality'' as pragmatic
politicians build consensus for policies that ``cause short-term pain.''

*****

Central Russian Strike Council Issues Statement

Sovetskaya Rossiya
[translation for personal use only]
Statement by the Central Russian Strike Movement Coordinating
Council: "Ring of Anger"

We, representatives of labor collectives, parties, movements, and
organizations of Russia's central regions, state that the continued delay
in removing the Yeltsin regime from power is fatal to the RussianFederation.
Not one honest citizen, worker, or patriot should stand on the
sidelines of the struggle to save the Motherland.
Having formed the Central Russian Strike Movement Coordinating
Council, we have defined its objective as the removal of the anti-people
Yeltsin regime from power. To achieve this it is necessary to hold a
nationwide political strike./The Coordinating Council is responsible for:
coordinating regional protest actions to protect the rights of
working people, pensioners, students, children, and young people and
Russia's national and state interests;
facilitating the formation of legal organs of working people's power in
the center and in the provinces./ [passage within slantlines published in
boldface]The Central Russian Strike Movement Coordinating Council will in no
circumstances supplant existing protest action headquarters. Its task is to
unite uncoordinated forces and actions, making it possible to increase
severalfold their effectiveness, strength, and positive impact at all
levels of the executive and legislative branches and on leaders and
managers of enterprises and organizations in the national economic complex.
In conditions of economic ruin, the flouting of all human rights,
poverty, and the lack of rights among the vast majority of the Russian
population, we, having united, must banish from the mass public
consciousness hopelessness, pessimism, indifference, and submissiveness to
fate and return to the people, in accordance with the country's
Constitution, their right to be the only source of power in the Russian
Federation.On 7 October 1998, the day of the nationwide protest action, we
urge
everybody to go out onto the streets with the resolute demand, that is
common to the [whole] country, for the president's resignation and for a
change of socioeconomic policy.
Representatives of the oblasts of Russia's historical center have
agreed to hold demonstrations and rallies 7 October in cities, towns,
settlements, and rural population centers culminating in the blockading of
local administrations, legislative organs of power, and the president's
regional representatives. The aim of the blockade is to force the local
authorities to demand the president's resignation and to make him realize
that this demand comes from the entire people and must be met
unconditionally. Another, no less important, point of our demands is
constitutional amendments. The blockade will not be lifted until we are
certain that the appropriate telephone messages, faxes, and electronic mail
messages bearing the signatures of top officials and presidential
representatives have been sent to the Kremlin.
In the event that Yeltsin and his entourage do not heed our demands,
conveyed to him via local organs of power, the simultaneous blocking of
main road and railroad routes leading to Moscow for not less than three
hours will begin at 1100 hours on 8 October.
If not even this galvanizes the person chiefly responsible for our
misfortunes, at 1100 hours on 9 October roads and railroads will be blocked
for 24 hours or more until our demands have been met in full.
We urge Moscow's working people to support and join us. Only joint
action will help to resolve in the fastest possible way all our society's
conflicts and crises that have come to a head like an abscess.
We urge all regions bordering the capital to send their own
representatives 7 October to participate in protest actions with Moscow's
working people.
We warn those who are fond of provocations and adventures that the
people have woken up and wised up. Think of the consequences of your
possible anti-people actions. The people are organized and are fully aware
of their responsibility for the peaceful outcome of events. In accordance
with all world-wide and Russian laws they are campaigning for their right
to exist. Do not have this sin on your conscience, do not subject people
to ordeals, for whose consequences you will have to answer with the full
rigor of the law.
We also urge all Russian citizens to take part in actions to mark the
fifth anniversary of the day when the Yeltsin regime shot up the Russian
Supreme Soviet and thereby to express their attitude to this crime, which
is central to the work of the commission to remove Yeltsin from power in
the State Duma.
[Signed] Strike Movement Coordinating Council: Vladimir, Ivanovo,
Kostroma, Smolensk, and Tula Oblasts' Protest Action Headquarters,
Yaroslavl Coordinating Council, Kaluga regional branch of the NPSR [Free
Russia People's Party OR People's Patriotic Union of Russia], For Russia's
Revival (Moscow) movement, Sverdlovsk Oblast branch of the Russian
Communist Workers' Party, Robbed People's Movement (Tver).
We invite representatives of all Russian regions to participate in our
Coordinating Council.Coordinating Council Chairman -- A.V. Vorobyev.
Contact telephone numbers in Yaroslavl: (0852) 25-54-55 (picket -- 24
hours), 30-56-83 -- telephone/fax, 30-47-98.