September 10, 1998

This Date's Issues: 2360 236123622363

1. AP: Yeltsin Nominates Primakov for PM.
2. Fred Weir on Primakov.
3. Reuters: Russia's Yevgeny Primakov, man for all seasons.
4. Reuters: Text of Russian Acting PM Chernomyrdin's speech.
5. Reuters: Acting Russia defence minister hails PM nomination.
6. Reuters: Rules for appointment of Russian prime minister.
7. Boston Globe: David Filipov, In reeling Russia, states acting alone.
8. Chicago Tribune: Elizabeth Williamson, RUSSIA'S REGIONAL LEADERS
FLEX DICTATOR-LIKE MUSCLE.

9. Philadelphia Inquirer: Trudy Rubin, Who lost Russia?
10. Reuters: Pain Sets in for Russians as Medicines Go Short.
11. Reuters: Russia's Zhirinovsky blasts ``pro-American'' Primakov.
12. Reuters: Russian Communist chief hails Primakov as PM.
13. Reuters: Russian Duma to vote on Primakov Friday.]

********

Yeltsin Nominates Primakov for PM
September 10, 1998
By BARRY RENFREW

MOSCOW (AP) -- Bowing to bitter opposition from parliament, Boris Yeltsin
nominated his former spy chief today as prime minister to head emergency
efforts to stem the country's economic crisis.

Yeltsin nominated Foreign Minister Yevgeny Primakov to be prime minister after
his first choice, Viktor Chernomyrdin, asked not to be nominated for a third
time. Leaders on all side had warned of a political explosion if Yeltsin had
again nominated Chernomyrdin.

``In view of the repeated rejection of (Chernomyrdin) ... I ask the State Duma
to confirm the appointment of Yevgeny Maximovich Primakov as chairman of the
government,'' Yeltsin said in a brief letter.

Opposition and pro-government political leaders promptly welcomed Primakov's
nomination, predicting the lower chamber of parliament, the state Duma, would
approve him. Confirmation hearings were set for the weekend.

``I think he will get the Duma's support. Common sense has prevailed in our
state,'' said Communist leader Gennady Zyuganov, who spearheaded the
opposition to Chernomyrdin. Primakov is ``known in the country and in the
world and can carry out policies defending the interests of the nation.''

Yeltsin announced the nomination after meeting in the Kremlin with Primakov
and Chernomyrdin. Chernomyrdin said he asked the president not to nominate him
after two crushing defeats in parliament.

``I cannot harm Russia. Russia has had enough upheavals this century. This is
my choice,'' Chernomyrdin said.

Yeltsin and the Duma have been locked in a bitter two-week battle over the
premier's post that stalled the formation of a new government after
Chernomyrdin was rejected twice by the Duma.

If the Duma rejects Primakov -- an unlikely scenario -- the president would be
forced by law to dissolve parliament and call new elections.

Primakov, 68, a former Soviet foreign policy expert, is seen as a technocrat,
not ideologically linked to any political faction. He has been criticized in
the West for taking a less liberal line on foreign relations, showing support
for Iraq and other regimes at odds with the West.

He was named foreign minister in January 1996 and has been praised by most of
Russia's political factions for doing a good job.

But while Primakov was expected to be approved, it was not clear if he would
be able to do much to fix the country's economic crisis. Although seen as a
competent administrator, his field of expertise is foreign relations, not
economic policy.

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev picked him as one of his closest aides
during the reform period of the 1980s.

In 1989-90, Primakov worked as a speaker of one of the houses of the Soviet
parliament. In 1990 he became Gorbachev's special adviser for foreign policy
issues and in 1991 became widely known in the West for his efforts to avert a
Gulf War through direct negotiations with Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

In December 1991, Primakov was named head of the Russian Foreign Intelligence
Service after years of working in Soviet government agencies and political
think-tanks.

Unlike most of Gorbachev's allies, he managed to remain in the government
after the Soviet collapse and has worked closely with Yeltsin in recent years.

Yeltsin had been urged by political leaders on all sides to agree to a
compromise candidate and not propose Chernomyrdin for the third and final
vote. Russia endured a frenzy of political speculation during the past two
days as Yeltsin considered his options.

The political stalemate has exacerbated Russia's economic collapse, reflected
in rising prices and a spread of emergency measures, such as price controls,
in some regions of the country.

Surprisingly, however, the country's tattered currency, the ruble, continued
today to bounce back. Rubles, which were selling at about 20 to the U.S.
dollar on Tuesday, rose in street sales to as strong as 10 to the dollar,
although rates varied widely.

Foreign currency dealers said the improved rate suggested that people had
exhausted their ruble supply in panic buying and had begun to exchange their
dollar savings.

Chernomyrdin spent five years as prime minister before Yeltsin fired him last
March, and many Russians blame him for the country's economic problems.
Yeltsin brought him back as acting prime minister last month after firing
Sergei Kiriyenko.