August 2, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2294

3. RIA Novosti: ANATOLY CHUBAIS: DEVALUATION OF THE ROUBLE IS NOT
ON THE AGENDA.

4. Bill Ross: Russian women.
5. Anne Williamson: Re Mike Temperley;JRL #2292.
6. Jerry F. Hough: More commentary.
7. Moscow Times: Helen Womack, FACES & VOICES: Russians Look Death
Straight In the Face.

8. RFE/RL: Ben Partridge, Azerbaijan: Report Says Baku Pipeline To
Play Key Role In Future Geopolitics.

ANATOLY CHUBAIS: DEVALUATION OF THE ROUBLE IS NOT ON THE
MOSCOW, AUGUST 1. /FROM RIA NOVOSTI CORRESPONDENT OLEG
LEBEDEV/-- The question of the rouble's devaluation is not on
the agenda today, said Anatoly Chubais. Special representative
of the Russian president in international financial institutions
said that to mass media upon completion of talks with deputy
managing director of the International Monetary Fund Stanley
Fischer.
According to Chubais, the situation is still pretty
complicated, but the most critical phase is overcome.
he added that the movement toward a financial crisis was
stopped due to the following circumstances, namely -- a economic
stabilisation programme of the Russian government, and an
approval given for this programme by experts of the IMF and
other international financial institutions who also exercise a
'strict, professional control' over its implementation.