June 12, 1998
This Date's Issues: 2217 2218

1. AP: Yeltsin: Reforms Moving Slowly.
2. Dale Herspring: Lebed. (DJ: I encourage discussion of Lebed.)
3. Albert Weeks: Lenin/Leonardo.
4. Eric Margolis: WEALTHY "NEW RUSSIANS" PARTY ON.
5. Itar-Tass: Russian Security Council To Discuss START II Ratification.
6. Moscow Times: Natasha Fairweather, Reporter Writes Novel on Expat Life.
("In a Place like That" by Lesley Chamberlain).

7. Chicago Tribune: Michael Kilian, GORBACHEV CHIDES U.S. ON WEAPONS.
8. Bloomberg: Russia Names 7 Companies as Priorities in Asset-Sale Program.
9. Washington Post: Leon Aron, What Stalled Russian Reform.
10. Zavtra: Aleksandr Dugin, "Postliberal Era."
11. Financial Times: Peter Oppenheimer, Devalue the Rouble.]

Yeltsin: Reforms Moving Slowly
By Mitchell Landsberg
June 12, 1998

MOSCOW (AP) -- President Boris Yeltsin conceded today that Russia's reforms
are moving slower than expected and warned Russians that it will take more
time for the country to become prosperous and stable.
In a nationally televised address, he admitted that Russians had good
reason to be disappointed by the slow pace of reform.
While there have been successes, Yeltsin said, ``they have not resulted
in a noticeable improvement in living conditions. Russia's economy has not
become prosperous and stable, nor are its citizens well provided for or
confident of their future.''
His remarks came on Russia Day, which commemorates Russia's declaration
of sovereignty from the Soviet Union in 1990. Roads out of Moscow were
clogged with people headed to the country for a long weekend.
In his speech, Yeltsin said the past eight years had ``not been an easy
test for any of us. It was difficult, but we withstood, we didn't give up,
we didn't turn back.''
While it's true that prosperity has so far eluded most Russians, Yeltsin
reminded them of the one ``tangible achievement'' of post-Soviet Russia.
``The freedom to speak one's mind. The freedom to pursue one's religion.
The freedom to elect the mayor, member of parliament, governor,
president,'' Yeltsin said.
``However, freedom ... can only be won, sometimes by sacrificing your
calm, your convenience and well-being.''