August  30, 1997
This Date's Issues: 11581159 •

djohnson@cdi.org

[Note from David Johnson:
1. Gregory Tseytin in St. Petersburg: Re Matt Taibbi on phone
tapping in JRL #1156.

2. Matt Bivins: Search engine for the St. Petersburg Times.
3. Gary Kern: Siberian tigers are doomed.
4. Interfax: Early elections in Russia not ruled out.
5. Interfax: Kremlin ignores threat to kill Yeltsin.
6. President Yeltsin's August 29 radio address on
television and culture.

7. Business Week: Carol Matlack, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE RUSSIAN
COAL MINERS' DOLLARS? At least $100 million from a World Bank
loan is lost.

8. Chicago Tribune: FOREIGN GUSHING OVER RUSSIAN OIL HAS SLOWED.
9. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Berezovskiy's Financial Dealings
Examined. (Article by Etienne Jebali, preceded by introduction and
followed by commentary by KGB Colonel Igor Malkov, "Seller of 'Thin
Air': Money Can Be Not Only 'Wooden' But Also 'Berezovski'.")

10. Obshchaya Gazeta: Yegor Yakovlev Commentary on Paper's
Anniversary.]