July 16, 1997

This Date's Issues:   1052 1053

djohnson@cdi.org

[Note from David Johnson:
1. Laura Belin (RFE/RL): presidential representatives.
2. BBC: Russian Official: It is Possible to Steal a Nuclear
Bomb.

3. The Independent (UK): Phil Reeves, Modern-day silk road
that could help satellite slip its handcuffs. (Georgia).

4. Jane's Defence Weekly : Russia will field Topol-M ICBM by
end of this year.

5. Reuter: Timothy Heritage, Russian arms trader says US,
others plot against Moscow.

6. Asia Times: Moscow holds high-level meeting on Central Asia.
7. John Isaacs (Council for a Livable World): Preliminary Senate
soundings on NATO enlargement.

8. RIA Novosti: YELTSIN SIGNS DECREE ON PRIORITY MEASURES
TO REFORM ARMED FORCES AND TO IMPROVE THEIR STRUCTURE.

9. Rossiiskaya Gazeta: RAILROAD TO CONNECT SINGAPORE TO EUROPE.
(DJ: Now here's something really interesting!)

10. Delovoi Mir: BORIS BEREZOVSKY, THE NEWEST OF ALL "NEW
RUSSIANS."

11. Reuter: Communist to contest key Russian poll result.
12. RIA Novosti: CEC SECRETARY SAYS THERE WERE NO VIOLATIONS
AT THE ELECTIONS OF NIZHNY NOVGOROD GOVERNOR.

13. Floriana Fossato (RFE/RL): Protest Marches Converge On Moscow.
14. Sonia Winter (RFE/RL): Former Soviet Union: U.S. Senate
Stresses Equality For Republics.]

********