#7 - JRL 7173
Compiled by Luba Schwartzman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Research Analyst, Center for Defense Information, Moscow office
Wednesday, May 7, 2003
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov to discuss economic development between January and April.
- President Putin sent a message to Israeli President Moshe Katsav and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon congratulating them on the 55th anniversary of the establishment of Israel.
- After attending the meeting of the defense ministers of the Northern nations, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov noted that Russia has cut its Armed Forces deployments between the Barents and the Baltic seas by 50 percent, thanks to the stability in Northern Europe. Ivanov also reported that naval exercises will be held in the Baltic Sea in June.
- Celebrations in honor of the 58th anniversary of victory in World War II began at the Kremlin. President Putin and other leading officials attended. Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov spoke about the lessons of the war. He declared that only a powerful economy, a well-equipped Armed Forces and patriotism can ensure the greatness and security of the nation.
- A monument to legendary WWII commander Konstantin Rokossovsky was dedicated in Zelenograd.
- State Duma deputies will spend the following week in the regions they represent.
- Russia's Head State Sanitary Inspector Gennady Onishchenko reported that the man who was hospitalized with signs of the severe acute respiratory syndrome is in stable but serious condition. An exact diagnosis will be made after laboratory tests are completed.
- The Russian Ministry of Education is recommending that all Russian students studying in China return home and that Chinese students studying in Russia not go home for the summer.
- The "Moving Together" youth movement held a demonstration in honor of the third anniversary of the inauguration of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Russian Interior Minister Boris Gryzlov reported on the progress of he investigation of the murder of State Duma Deputy Sergei Yushenkov. He explained that the Interior Ministry is considering three possible scenarios. According to one, Yushenkov's assassination was ordered by the Naumov criminal organization.
- The final rehearsal for the Victory Day Parade was held on Khodynka field.
- May 7th is International Radio Workers' Day.
- A mass grave for Russian soldiers was discovered in Iran. Russian forces were stationed there to protect military transport and the mission.
- Private Sergei Zaletaev deserted his division in the Moscow region settlement of Vatutinki and stole a gasoline tank truck. He was apprehended after a one-hour car chase and shootout, which began at 3am. An investigation is underway.
- A memorial complex in honor of the victims of the May 9, 2002 terrorist act has been dedicated in Kaspiisk; 43 people died and 120 were injured when an anti-personnel landmine exploded on the path of the Victory Day parade.
- Three "carriage fans" in Naberezhnye Chelny are reviving the old trade. They believe the "one horsepower" vehicle can do as well as a car in city conditions.