#5 - JRL 7171
Compiled by Luba Schwartzman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Research Analyst, Center for Defense Information, Moscow office
Tuesday, May 6, 2003
- Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated British Prime Minister Tony Blair on his 50th birthday. Putin noted that his consultations with Blair are "held regularly, always constructive and marked by an atmosphere of trust."
- President Putin discussed interethnic relations in Russia with Minister for Ethnic Relations Vladimir Zorin.
- President Putin also met with President of the Republic of Tatarstan Mintimer Shaimiev to discuss preparations for the celebrations of the 1000th anniversary of Kazan.
- Presidential Plenipotentiary to the Northwestern Federal District Valentina Matvienko promised to protect the unique collections from the Vavilov Botanical Institute.
- The Russian Cabinet has "declared war" on pirated video and audio production. According to a number of international organizations, Russia holds second place in infraction of intellectual copyright laws.
- Main Military Prosecutor Aleksandr Savenkov told journalists that over 2000 servicemen will be prosecuted for violations of military regulations this year.
- U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell will be in Russia on a working visit on May 14-15. He will meet with leading Russian officials and attend the celebrations of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg.
- The members of the Sixth Expedition to the International Space Station gave a press conference in Zvezdny.
- 25 people were injured in an accident involving a passenger bus in Volgograd. Four of the passengers are in the intensive care unit.
- A member of Ruslan Gelaev's illegal rebel group has been detained in the Sunzhen region of Ingushetia. Macholakashvili, 36, was arrested at a market place.
- Russians are starting to travel to Abkhazia for their summer seaside vacations.
- Park Pobedy (Viktory Park), Moscow's 165th metro station, has been opened.
- Polish film director Roman Polansky will attend the Moscow premier of his new film, The Pianist.
- Comprehensive medical examinations are being offered to all World War II invalids and veterans in the Tyumen Oblast.
- The second to last rehearsal for the Victory Day parade was held on Red Square. Over 5,000 soldiers marched.
- The commanders of the Strategic Rocket Forces congratulated veterans with the upcoming holiday.
- On the eve of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg, Russians remembered the city's first mayor, Aleksandr Menshikov.
- Actor Vladimir Etush celebrates his 80th birthday.
- Spring flooding remains critical in the Arkhangelsk Oblast.
- Over 150 new forest fires broke out over the past 24 hours.