#5 - JRL 7169
Compiled by Luba Schwartzman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Research Analyst, Center for Defense Information, Moscow office
Monday, May 5, 2003
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with Cabinet members to discuss his trip to Ukraine. He also called the attention of the ministers to the social protection of veterans and vacation pay for schoolteachers.
- Russian Minister of Internal Affairs Boris Gryzlov represented Russia at the G-8 meeting dedicated to cooperation in the fight against terrorism and the drug trade.
- Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Igor Ivanov visited Bucharest, Romania to discuss the agreement on friendship and cooperation that will be signed in July, during the visit of the Romanian President to Moscow.
- Foreign Minister Ivanov reported that U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell will visit Russia next week in anticipation of the meeting between President Putin and U.S. President George W. Bush.
- Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Ivanov is in Sweden. Tomorrow he will attend the meeting of the defense ministers of Northern European nations. Today he met with his Swedish counterpart.
- Deputy Prime Minister Galina Karelova told journalists that the Russian Cabinet has asked all subjects of the Russian Federation to prepare individual medical and social protection programs for all World War II invalids and veterans.
- A funeral service was held for two crew members of the MI-26 fire-fighting helicopter, which crashed in Chita. Emergencies Minister Sergei Shoigu attended. The bodies of the journalists who died in the accident have been delivered to Moscow. A service for Ezhenedelnyi Zhurnal correspondents Galina Kovalskaya and Ruslan Yanalov will be held in Moscow tomorrow. Rossiya Television Channel reporters Yuliana Nakhodkina and Konstantin Kozar will be buried in Murmansk.
- Deputy Minister of Astrakhan Sergei Nakhshumov was stabbed to death by an unidentified man last night in the entranceway to his building.
- Vladimir Arkhipov, the driver of the Russian Ambassador to Iraq, who had been wounded on April 6th, has returned to Moscow.
- Director General of the Russian Aviation and Space Agency Yuri Koptev met with NASA Director Sean O'Keefe to discuss the development of unpiloted aviation, the financing of the International Space Station and the exploration of Mars.
- 568 forest fires have been registered in the Russian regions. Most of the fires are in the Chita, Irkutsk and Amur oblasts, in Buryatia, and in the Khabarovsk and Primorsky krais.
- The 11th Annual "Vivat! Russian Cinema" Festival opened in St. Petersburg.
- A monument to renowned scientist and human rights advocate Andrei Sakharov has been dedicated in St. Petersburg.
- The fifth rehearsal for the May 9 Victory Day Parade was held in Moscow.