A CDI Project
www.cdi.org

[Contents:
  1. Interfax: Most Russians think husband plays leading role at home - poll.
  2. Interfax: Russian-American marriages most long-lasting of mixed
marriages - poll.
  3. Reuters: Russia politicians hit out in murdered MP's burial.
  4. AFP: Russians pay last tribute to slain deputy.
  5. AFP: Russian who worked with slain deputy seeks asylum in US.
  6. Interfax: Investigators make composite sketch of State Duma deputy's
killer.
  7. Joel Ostrow: Yushenkov.
  8. Baltimore Sun: David Holley, Deaths few, but epidemic of HIV is raging
in
Russia. Focus is on prisons as primary source of virus.
  9. Newsweek International: Christian Caryl, A Frosty Friendship. The U.S.
and
Russia try to mend their frayed relations.
  10. Rossiyskaya Gazeta: Russian Experts Comment on Reducing Anti-American
Attitudes of Russian Public.
  11. The Sunday Telegraph (UK): 'Russian spies told Saddam how Bush would
justify war.' David Harrison in Baghdad uncovers the secret documents which
expose the extent of Moscow's involvement.
  12. Casper Star-Tribune (Wyoming): W. Dale Nelson, Russia mulls global
future.
  13. Salt Lake City Tribune: Michael Nakoryakov, Russian View: Iraq War:
Consequences Remain to Be Seen, But It Was Fought Well.
  14. New York Post editorial: Putin's Perfidy.
  15. Foreign Affairs letter: Matthew Evangelista, Just and Unjust Words
(re Chechnya)
  16. Interfax: 78% of Russians have never taken part in street protests -
poll.
  17. BBC Monitoring: Chicken fined for wrong road crossing in
Russia's southern region.
  18. BBC Monitoring: TV shows chemical weapons arsenal in Russia's Kurgan
Region.
  19. The Electronic Telegraph (UK): Ben Aris, Amber room is glowing again
after
Nazi pillaging.
  20. IRNA (Iran): US official accuse Russia of hypocritical stands on Iraq.
  21. Rosbalt: Paying for Victory? (re return of German art)
  22. Newsweek International: Andrew Nagorski, The World of the Gulag.
A definitive account portrays the Soviet Union not as a noble experiment gone
awry but as a system of murder.
  23. AFP: Russian ecologists protest oil sector pollution.
  24. Reuters: YUKOS plus Sibneft - a possible oil supermajor.
  25. New York Daily News: Mila Andre, Moscow must-see TV is here.
  26. New York Daily News: Joyce Shelby, Station's news: It's in Russian.]

*********

Most Russians think husband plays leading role at home - poll

MOSCOW. April 20 (Interfax) - A recent poll held in Russia revealed that
59% of respondents think the husband is the head of the family, and 13%
said the wife plays the leading role at home.
   The poll, held by the ROMIR Monitoring firm, also showed that 15% of
those surveyed favor equal relations between husband and wife. Ten percent
ascribed the leading role to other family members - the father- in-law, the
mother-in-law, or the children.
   The share who think the family should not have an obvious leader is
greatest in the Northwestern Federal District (29%.)
   In the Urals District, 72% of the respondents said the husband is head
of the family.
   Sixty-nine percent of the polled men and 51% of women agree with this.
   Only 19% of the women and 6% of the men polled said the wife is head of
the family.
   The poll was held in April and involved 1,500 respondents.

*********

Russian-American marriages most long-lasting of mixed marriages - poll

MOSCOW. April 20 (Interfax) - Marriages between Russian women and American
men are extremely successful and harmonious, says a report by an expert of
the Russian Academy of Sciences Institute of Psychology, Olga Makhovskaya.
   "Changing over from the American family model with the spouses' equal
partnership, to an orthodox one, the American man starts playing a greater
role in the family. He enjoys more power and respect, and, undoubtedly
wins, gaining a higher social and psychological status," Makhovskaya writes.
   By contrast, Russian women, breaking the model of the orthodox family,
shake off the heavy burden of responsibility and get a chance to live a
normal life in a family with clearer responsibilities - children, cooking,
the home, and greater attention and support from the husband.
   In Russian-American families relations are more harmonious. "Such
marriages are long-lasting, as all roles are distributed in advance, and
the mechanism keeps working. Both spouses make concessions and perfectly
play their roles," she writes.
   Russian-Chinese marriages are also very successful. "Tens of thousands
of Russian-Chinese marriages have been registered in Primorye. Chinese men
are hard-working, do not drink and bring their pay to the family, and
therefore have serious advantages as compared to Russian men. Russian women
are satisfied with their Chinese husbands, which suggests that the number
of such marriages will be growing," Makhovskaya believes.
   Ukrainian-Jewish marriages deserve special mention. Relations in such
families may be described as ideal. "Perhaps this reflects a specific way
of settling conflicts - humor - rather than a good compatibility of family
models. When attempts are made to laugh away a conflict, its seriousness
fades away," she said.

********

Russia politicians hit out in murdered MP's burial

MOSCOW, April 20 (Reuters) - Russian politicians hit out at the unresolved
problems of corruption and political violence at the burial on Sunday of
the ninth Russian State Duma deputy to be murdered in nine years.

The shooting on Thursday of liberal politician Sergei Yushenkov, a member
of Russia's State Duma lower house of parliament, was seen as a blow to
President Vladimir Putin's claims to be enforcing law and order.

"We thought political terror was over, but this murder shows that it is
right in front of our eyes," Boris Nemtsov, leader of the political faction
"The Union of Right Forces," and one of Russia's most prominent
politicians, was quoted by Interfax news agency as saying.

"Yushenkov was a calm, incorruptible, and honest politician," he added.

The murder has baffled police, since Yushenkov seemed to have no business
interests or ties to criminal groups, but Duma speaker Gennady Seleznyov
had no hesitation in linking it to his political work.

"I think that this is a political murder because a deputy has been killed,
any deputy is a politician," he said in remarks televised on Russia's ORT
channel.

Although Yushenkov's Liberal Russia political party was small, he was an
opponent of Russia's campaign against rebels in Chechnya and famous for
opposing a coup against reforms introduced by then-Soviet President Mikhail
Gorbachev in 1991.

********

Russians pay last tribute to slain deputy
April 20, 2003
AFP

Thousands of Russians lined up to pay a last tribute to deputy Sergei
Yushenko, gunned down in an apparent political killing, as one of his
colleagues in a key investigation said she was seeking asylum in the United
States.

Carrying carnations in line with tradition, many of them in tears, mourners
of all ages filed past the open coffin ahead of the burial that was due to
take place amid heightened security.

The popular liberal deputy was shot dead near his home on Thursday in the
latest and most stunning in a long series of political killings.

Most of his predecessors are assumed to have been killed because of their
business activities -- none of the murders has yet been resolved -- but
Yushenkov is widely regarded as above reproach in that regard, and his
murder is believed to have been politically motivated.

Colleagues of his Liberal Russia party, which he succeeded in registering
for next December's parliamentary elections only hours before he was shot
dead, attended the funeral.

Several prominent centre-right leaders, notably former prime minister Yegor
Gaidar and two leaders of the Union of Rightist Forces, Boris Nemtsov and
Irene Khakamada, also paid tribute in Moscow's Palace of Youth.

A retired colonel and deputy since 1991, Yushenkov was hailed as a champion
of the ordinary Russian soldier who had sought to introduce desperately
needed army reforms.

Speculation as to the causes of the killing has focused on divisions within
Yushenkov's party and on his role as a leading member of a parliamentary
committee examining alleged secret service (FSB) involvement in a series of
mysterious apartment block blasts four years ago.

Liberal Russia had close ties to the self-exiled businessman Boris
Berezovsky, receiving funding from the London-based tycoon before later
expelling him.

Yushenkov, in association with Berezovsky, was also prominent in
highlighting alleged links between the FSB and the September 1999 bomb
attacks on apartment blocks in Moscow and other cities that killed nearly
300 people and were blamed on Chechen separatists, triggering the Chechen
war.

Last year he helped distribute a documentary film produced by Berezovsky
purporting to prove FSB responsibility for the bombings.

Earlier Sunday a former resident of one of the bombed flats who had
collaborated with Yushenkov said she was afraid for her life and was asking
for political asylum in the United States.

Alyona Morozova, who lost her mother in an attack on a Moscow building,
said she had "no doubt" that Yushenkov's murder was linked to his
investigations.

"I am afraid that to return to Russia would present a threat to my life,
and I am asking the US authorities to grant me political asylum," Morozova,
who is currently in the United States, said in a statement from her lawyer
received by AFP in Moscow.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Sergei Yushenkov was killed because of
his investigation of the Moscow bombings," she said.

"Exactly one year ago, together with him I arranged the presentation of the
(Berezovsky) documentary about the bombings, 'Assassination of Russia', in
the US Congress. After the screening he said: Our activities enrage the
FSB, sooner or later they will seek revenge. Today he is dead."

Morozova said she had joined the public commission investigating the blasts
in the hope of determining who had killed her mother and neighbours.

"After Yushenkov's murder I have no doubts about who did it. That's why I
am afraid to go back to Russia," she said.

Morozova's lawyer Alex Goldfarb said his client was studying at a
university in the United States but did not want her location to be
specified.

********

Russian who worked with slain deputy seeks asylum in US
April 20, 2003
AFP

A Russian who said she had worked with slain liberal deputy Sergei
Yushenkov on investigating a mysterious appartment block blast four years
ago said she feared for her life and was asking for political asylum in the
United States.

Alyona Morozova, who lost her mother in the September 1999 blast and had
worked with Yushenkov on an investigating commission, said she had "no
doubt" that the deputy's murder was linked to his role in the probe.

"I am afraid that to return to Russia would present a threat to my life,
and I am asking the US authorities to grant me political asylum," Morozova,
who is currently in the United States, said in a statement from her lawyer
received by AFP in Moscow.

The Moscow appartment block explosion was one of a series in which nearly
300 people died. Russian authorities accused Chechen rebels of organising
the attacks and sent troops into the southern republic to put down a
separatist insurgency there.

Yushenkov, who was gunned down near his home in Moscow on Thursday, played
a leading role in a State Duma (parliamentary) committee investigating
long-standing allegations that a faction of the Russian security services
(FSB) had organised the bombings.

His party, Liberal Russia, had close ties with the self-exiled tycoon Boris
Berezovsky who last year produced and distributed a documentary film
purporting to prove FSB responsibility for the blast.

"I have no doubt that the killing of Yushenkov is linked to his role in the
investigation into the Moscow blasts," Morozova said.

"A year ago, I took part with him in the presentation of the (Berezovsky)
film 'Attack on Russia' in the US Congress. After the screening we were
told: Our activities have angered the FSB, and sooner or later they will
remind us of it. Now he's dead."

Morozova said she had joined the public commission investigating the blasts
in the hope of determining who had killed her mother and neighbours.

"Now I have no doubts on that score. That's why I am afraid to return to
Russia," she said.

Morozova's lawyer Alex Goldfarb said his client was studying at a
university in the United States but did not want her location to be
specified.

Nine Russian deputies have been murdered in the past nine years, mostly for
reasons associated with their business ties, but observers agreed that
Yushenko's killing by professsional hitmen was most likely to have been due
to his political activities.

Yushenko, a vigourous opponent of the Chechen war, was to be buried in a
Moscow cemetery later Sunday, with many liberal lawmakers expected to attend.

********

Investigators make composite sketch of State Duma deputy's killer

MOSCOW. April 20 (Interfax) - Based on wintesses' accounts, investigators
have made a composite sketch of a man who could be the killer of State Duma
Deputy Sergei Yushenkov.
   The composite sketch will be circulated among policemen soon, police
sources told Interfax.
   Concerning theories of the crime, a source said that Yushenkov's
financial and personal contacts are currently being investigated.
"Yushenkov could have fallen victim to financial, political, or personal
feuds," the source said.
   He said parallel investigations are expected to be launched into the
murders of Yushenkov and fellow Liberal Russia Party member Vladimir
Golovlyov.
   Yushenkov was killed in Moscow on April 17.

********