1. AP: Russian Military: U.S. Goals Hazy.
2. Itar-Tass: Russian military official confirms no combat role in Afghanistan.
3. New York Times: Michael Wines, Russians Are Unfazed by Anthrax, a Common Rural Problem.
4. The Russia Journal: Gabor Szabo, Russia’s media melee enters new round.
5. Stephen Dalziel: RE: 5497-Base Closure Cuba.
6. New NCEEER publications.
7. Trud: Aleksandr Umnov, The Denouement Will Ensue in the Winter? The Consequences of 'Operation Retaliation" in Afghanistan Are Extraordinarily Important for Russia. (Russian Expert Urges Thought Be Given To Future Afghan Government)
8. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: Markus Wehner, Tajikistan Is Getting Used to Peace.
9. Washington Times: James Hackett, An earthquake in U.S.-Russia relations.
10. BBC Monitoring: Leading Russian liberal outlines views on key issues. (Nemtsov)
11. Financial Times (UK): Gold-plated exile of the oligarch. Private jet, Dollars 30m luxury home in France...Boris Berezovsky seems to have it all since fleeing Russia, says Andrew Jack. Except perhaps a ticket home.
12. The Independent (UK): Fred Weir, The Body Issue: Rest in peace? Yeltsin tried to bury him, Putin says he's staying put. Seventy-seven years on, Lenin's embalmed corpse still attracts crowds and controversy.