November 5, 2000

This Date's Issues:   4621 4622

1. The Russia Journal: Tatyana Matsuk, Life not all doom and gloom, even here.
2. Moscow Times EDITORIAL: Putin's Cult Of Uneven Publicity.
3. Reuters: Putin sacks arms export heads, merges agencies.
4. From Al Decie.
5. Peter D. Ekman: Root of All Evil.
6. Mark Yoffe: Reply to 4613-Higgens/Song.
7. IWPR'S CAUCASUS REPORTING SERVICE: Valery Dzutsev, OSSETIANS REVIVE PAGAN RITUALS.
8. Val Samonis: Jumpstarting the "Real" Virtual Economy in Russia: Can Government Help?
9. Vremya MN: YULI VORONTSOV: "WE MADE OURSELVES DEPENDENT ON THE USA." Super-professional diplomat Yuli VORONTSOV interviewed by Stanislav KONDRASHOV.
10. The Russia Journal: Yury Sigov, The U.S. election and the ‘Russian card’
11. The Russia Journal: Piontovsky, Unified Korea is key to stability.
12. Matthew Maly: invitation to visit a website.]

The Russia Journal
November 4-10, 2000
Life not all doom and gloom, even here
By Tatyana Matsuk

I’m a realist: you know, the one who sees light at the end of the tunnel
but knows it’s from an oncoming train. And because I know this, I can run
out of the tunnel in time to save my skin. It’s important to be a realist
in Russia. There’s a proverb here that goes: "If I’d known where I was
going to fall, I’d have laid straw."

That’s my altruistic job – to lay straw for my readers, to warn you all
that day-to-day life in Russia is like that proverbial tunnel, full of
hidden dangers that require constant vigilance.

Back when we had the debris of the Soviet Union coming down around our
ears, we had a joke about a foreigner who comes to Russia and falls into a
hole in the center of Moscow. When the rescuers pull him out, he asks
indignantly why no one had posted any red flags as a warning.

"What do you mean we didn’t post any red flags?" he is told, "When you came
into this country, didn’t you see that whopping red flag on the border?"

But, being a realist, I also know that not everything is all doom and
gloom, even in Russia. Sometimes I’ve been told I paint our life too black
and that it isn’t good to inflict such relentless bleakness on my readers.

We’re not all at war, after all, are we? Well, sometimes I wonder; but
maybe you need a bit of harrowing war to really appreciate the lulls in the
fight for survival and savor life’s little pleasures – pleasures, like even
a trip to the dentist.

Yes, I am afraid of many things, but I no longer fear dentists, for
instance. Neither do my friends and family. A nearby clinic opened in
Moscow, a place where the average Russian can get high-quality and
affordable treatment, and the average foreigner can get good treatment, but
at a higher price.

My mother had a tooth pulled just the other day. She has a mortal fear of
dentists, the kind that could give a panicked patient a heart attack. But
before getting at her teeth, the dentist took her blood pressure and gave
her some drops to keep the old ticker calm. He used a French anaesthetic,
too, and she didn’t feel a thing.

At 400 rubles, I call that service. You don’t have to queue, you don’t have
to give little presents to make sure you get a competent dentist rather
than someone who missed his vocation as a secret police torturer. Now,
that’s enough to put a healthy-toothed American-style smile on anyone’s face.

There’s also taxis, I mean the civilized kind of taxi service where you
call a polite operator and order your choice of car. Yes, this kind of
service exists in Moscow. My favorite taxi company comes on time, the cars
are clean, the drivers civil, and you don’t pay extra for the call.

But, better than the taxis are the people. Now, I’ve written, for example,
about what a selfish lot our doctors are. I’ve got bad luck that way, I
keep getting sick and encountering those who make a regular practice
deviating from the Hippocratic Oath.

But to be honest with you, some stick to the oath and deserve their fee. I
know a good Chinese doctor here in Moscow, a good Korean doctor, too. I
also know two good Russian doctors. So, there is hope yet for the medical
profession in this country.

I’ve also written some critical things about our service sector, about
shops and the people who work in them. But here, too, I have to admit that
there are good, honest salespeople out there.

To get back to my mother, she is just charmed by this guy who sells her
fruit. He’s a big man, the kind you’d be afraid of in a dimly lit alley,
though my mother calls him "the little fellow." That’s how lovably friendly
he is. And even the bags he puts his fruit in aren’t just any old bags.
They have pictures of fruit drawn on them. It’s a nice little touch. You
can order fruit from him ahead of time, he won’t lie about the quality, and
if you don’t like something, he’ll give you your money back.

So there I go, eating my old, bleak words. But don’t worry, there’ll be
more clouds, and more silver linings. Take it from me, I’m a realist.

(Tatyana Matsuk is a regular columnist for The Russia Journal and a former
researcher for the Russian Academy of Sciences.)

Moscow Times
November 4, 2000
EDITORIAL: Putin's Cult Of Uneven Publicity

One can't help feeling just a little sorry for Vladimir Putin. We're not sure
how the president feels about having a walking tour created in the Pskov
region in his honor, or what his reaction was to having a book on children's
rights annotated with such revealing hagiographic details as the fact that
Putin doesn't smoke, or what his schoolmates thought of him as a child.

But we're willing to believe that he would be perhaps a tiny bit embarrassed
by the out-and-out hero worship displayed by both Leonid Panov, head of the
Museum of Regional Studies in Izborsk, and the St. Petersburg branch of the
Unity faction, who sponsored the publication of the children's book.

What's next, we ask ourselves? Are more "Putin Was Here" tours on the way?
Roll up, roll up, see the place where the president paused for thought in
Arkhangelsk! Gaze in reverence at the plate Putin ate breakfast off of in
Novgorod!

Or will the next round of devotion be something more in the spirit of a cult
of personality, such as a statue f probably astride a horse, if it is crafted
in St. Petersburg?

The "love thy president" manifestations to date hardly constitute a cult of
personality, of course: The Kursk disaster didn't make much of a dent in
Putin's approval ratings, but the flak the president had to endure for a week
or so would never have happened had he been considered flawless.

Nonetheless, if the president is a little uneasy at the kind of publicity
he's getting in Izborsk, he has only himself and his PR gurus to blame for
the kind of publicity they themselves put out before the election in March.

Putin in a fighter jet; Putin in a judo costume; Putin whizzing down the
piste; Putin "wiping out the bandits in the outhouse." The whole idea behind
this publicity campaign was to dispel his gray, faceless image f as a former
secret agent and unknown bureaucrat f and to project him onto the nation's
consciousness with nonstop wall-to-wall coverage of his manly exploits beamed
into 100 million homes.

This, you may remember, got his opinion poll ratings from single digits to a
first-round victory at the polls. So it is hardly surprising that one or two
people have swallowed the message just a little too hard.

What would be really worrying would be if Izborsk experienced mass
pilgrimages of acolytes desperate to drink at "Putin's well." Although there
weren't many on a cloudy day this week. (Mind you, they spent millions on
EuroDisney, and nobody went there, either.)

Putin sacks arms export heads, merges agencies

MOSCOW, Nov 4 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin dismissed the heads of two
arms export agencies in one of Russia's most lucrative export sectors and
merged the two bodies under a new director.

A series of presidential decrees said Alexei Ogaryov had been dismissed as
head of the Rosvooruzhyoniye agency as had Sergei Chemezov of Promexport.

The newly created body, named Rosoboronexport, is to be headed by Andrei
Belyaninov -- previously Chemezov's deputy.

Putin chaired a Kremlin meeting on Saturday of government officials, but
there was no indication whether the shake-up had been discussed.

On Friday, the Kremlin press service said he had met Ogaryov, but a report on
the meeting by Itar-Tass news agency focused on increases in
Rosvooruzheniye's orders and sales.

ORT public television suggested Putin took the action after being told of how
the functions of the two agencies were overlapping. Private NTV suggested
that Ogaryov had been replaced because he was seen as being too close to the
previous administration of ex-President Boris Yeltsin.

The notion of merging the agencies had been under discussion for several
weeks with the stated aim of streamlining policy.

A discussion on the matter late last month at a meeting of a government
commission failed to win the necessary support.

The AVN Military News Agency said this week that four heads of
Rosvooruzheniye had been replaced in the last three years and various
agencies had undergone mergers and splits in the past decade.

Ogaryov had gone on record as opposing the merger, saying a big monopoly
would prove unwieldy.

He told reporters last month that Rosvooruzheniye's exports this year would
amount to $2.95 billion of a total $4 billion exports.

He said the portfolio of the company's foreign orders exceeded $10 billion
and that was likely to increase with new contracts, citing in particular
India.

Promexport has dealt primarily with smaller contracts.