October 24, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4597 4598

1. Interfax: YELTSIN'S DAUGHTER SAYS HE CONSIDERED PUTTING OFF
1996 ELECTIONS.

2. Dmitri Glinski-Vassiliev: In Memoriam of Yury Burtin.
3. Mark Jones: RE: 4596-Abandoning a Sinking Country/Armenia.
4. PROGRAM OFFICER, MOSCOW OFFICE, NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR EURASIAN
AND EAST EUROPEAN RESEARCH (NCEEER).

5. Montreal Gazette: Sumitra Rajagopalan, Russian science needs
a boost. Nobel winner is right to use clout to bid for more support
for colleagues.

6. BBC Monitoring: Authors of Russian information security doctrine
try to justify it to press.

7. RFE/RL: Sophie Lambroschini, Court's Barring Of Rutskoi Seen As
Political Move.

8. BBC Monitoring: Russian politicians comment on exclusion of
governor from election race.

9. Vremya Novostei: REFORMS ARE INCOMPATIBLE WITH PROSPERITY.
(Views on economy of Gref, Illarionov, Alexashenko, and Kulik)

10. Moscow Times: Reubern Johnson, Too Many Russian Skeletons in
Gore's Closet?]

YELTSIN'S DAUGHTER SAYS HE CONSIDERED PUTTING OFF 1996 ELECTIONS

MOSCOW. Oct 23 (Interfax) - Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin
considered in March 1996 putting off the presidential elections
scheduled for the summer of that year, his younger daughter has said in
an interview to be published this week.
Yeltsin drew up a decree to dissolve the lower house of parliament
and postpone the presidential elections but ditched the draft on the
advice of his chief election campaign analyst, Tatyana Dyachenko, who
was also a Kremlin adviser during her father's presidency, told Moscow's
Ogonyok magazine.
"It was [Yeltsin's chief bodyguard Alexander] Korzhakov who wanted
the elections to be put off and the [State] Duma to be dissolved," she
said.
"This would have enabled him to preserve, as he thought, his
influence on dad. He surrounded dad with a tight circle of his people,
and Korzhakov's people - security officials, ministers, secretaries and
the entire bodyguard service - gradually took many of the positions
around [Yeltsin]," she said.
"But our analytical group was already at work, and we believed that
postponing the elections was a mortally dangerous thing for the country,
leaving aside the fact that putting them off meant violating the
Constitution," she noted.
After a meeting with chief election campaign analyst Anatoly
Chubais, Yeltsin fired Korzhakov, Mikhail Barsukov and Oleg Soskovets,
Dyachenko said.
"I had neither any pity for Korzhakov nor any disappointment with
him. The thought that that person possessed huge power potential simply
gave me chills," she said.
Igor Malashenko, then head of the independent NTV television
channel and current first deputy head of independent media holding
company Media-MOST, was to join Chubais at the meeting with Yeltsin,
Dyachenko said.
"Igor has an extraordinary personality. He was invited to the
analytical group because the best and most intelligent were invited
there," she said.
But "it's strange how people change. Malashenko knew practically
everything about me, and yet he didn't stop NTV from issuing such
incredible lies about me, about my dad, about castles and foreign
accounts. This was simply a shock for me. No, it wasn't me, but my
friends who were asking, 'How can you, Igor, you know perfectly well
that neither Tanya [Dyachenko] nor Boris Nikolayevich [Yeltsin] have any
of that.' He answered, 'We report this because everyone is talking about
it.' I didn't even want to try to prove that none of it was true, I
simply had no time for that, and I thought let them say what they like
anyway. All those who knew me have never believed in this rubbish. I
think that in this way they were simply trying to discredit the
president," she said.
Dyachenko also spoke about President Vladimir Putin's chief of
staff Alexander Voloshin.
"He is a terrifically interesting person," Dyachenko said. "It is
not easy to communicate with him, I think his ways simply make some
people furious. He can structure a conversation so intelligently, with
humor, and can charm you so much that someone may leave and it's only
after one has shut the door behind oneself that it strikes them: did he
agree after all or not? On another occasion Voloshin may formulate his
position in very tough terms," she said.