October 18, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4586  4587

1. Reuters: Russia sees no argument against quick missile cut.
2. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: Olga Tropkina, FEDERATIVE REFORM REASON
FOR AMENDING LAW ON THE MEDIA. Political Scientists Cast a Look Into
Russia's Future in 3rd Millennium.

3. Seattle Times: Colin McMahon, Bad booze kills, so Russia turns
to taste testers.

4. Bloomberg: UES's Chubais on Natural Gas Supplies, Investment.
5. he Guardian (UK): Jonathan Romney, Russia's answer to Finnegans
Wake. A movie masterpiece. (My Car!)

6. Anatol Lieven: Reply to Lucas.
7. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: "ALL RESOURCES MUST BE USED TO PAY BACK
FOREIGN DEBT." Presidential Adviser Andrei ILLARIONOV Does Not Think
Plan of Distributing Extra Revenues Is Good Enough.

8. Itar-Tass: Russia's former PM admits sending secret messages to
US vice- president.

9. BBC MONITORING: Families of servicemen block highway in protest
over living conditions.

10. Washington Times editorial: The world according to Boris.
11. The Globe and Mail (Canada) letter: U.S. buttinskyism.]

Russia sees no argument against quick missile cut

MOSCOW, Oct 18 (Reuters) - Russia said on Wednesday it had stuck to its
proposal of quick cuts to nuclear arsenals during arms control talks with
U.S. envoys this week.

The Foreign Ministry also said in a statement Moscow had presented some ideas
on how arms controls agreements by President Vladimir Putin and President
Bill Clinton could be achieved without altering the key Anti-Ballistic
Missile Treaty.

"There is no objective political reason not to go to a common ceiling of a
maximum 1,500 warheads for each side," it said after talks between Deputy
Foreign Minister Georgy Mamedov and John Holum, the State Department's under
secretary for arms control and international security.

The statement reiterated Moscow's long-held position that such arms cuts
could only be made if the 1972 ABM Treaty, which it sees as the bedrock of
stability, was maintained unchanged.

"In this connection, the American side was presented with several concepts on
how goals in the arms control sphere set out by Putin and Clinton could be
achieved without altering ABM," the ministry added, without giving details.

Some of the heat has gone out of the debate over U.S. proposals to amend ABM
so it can build a missile defence shield after Clinton left a decision on the
system to his successor.

But the United States has not given up on attempts to persuade Moscow to
agree to some modifications.

The Clinton administration has said it wants a missile defence shield to stop
attacks by what it calls rogue states, such as North Korea and Iraq.

But the statement said Mamedov and Holum had discussed options for a
so-called theatre defence, placing anti-missile systems near the country from
where the attack was feared rather than one large shield over the United
States.

Mamedov and Holum also discussed an upcoming meeting between Clinton and
Putin at an Asia-Pacific economic meeting in Brunei.

Nezavisimaya Gazeta
October 17, 2000
[translation from RIA Novosti for personal use only]
FEDERATIVE REFORM REASON FOR AMENDING LAW ON THE MEDIA
Political Scientists Cast a Look Into Russia's Future in
3rd Millennium
By Olga TROPKINA

This past weekend, the Bor holiday home near Moscow was
the venue for a conference entitled Russia At the Turn of
Centuries staged by the Interregional Foundation of Information
technologies.
The conference, which was attended by leading Russian
political scientists and economists and foreign
parliamentarians, was expected to cast a look into Russia's
future in the 3rd millennium in the light of Vladimir Putin's
reforms intended to reinforce the 'power vertical.'
The conferees also focused on information security, the
standing of the military-industrial complex and the Russian
state's role in the process of globalization.
The main outstanding problems that Russia is taking into
the new millennium, were enumerated by Alexei Salmin, president
of the Russian Public Political Center Foundation who opened
the conference. He started with the relationship between the
Russian Orthodox Church and the authorities. The next most
important outstanding issue, in his opinion, Russia's
self-determination as far as the state setup is concerned:
Russia can turn into a unitary state quite constitutionally and
at any time in today's situation.
Andrei Fedorov, director of the Political Studies
Foundation, presented his own, differing vision of the 'power
vertical' reform. He doubted the expediency of increasing the
number of bodies of state authority, for they would be harder
to manage. What he meant was the structure named the State
Council, what with its legally vague status. The Federation
Council's future is another matter of concern.
The most controversial issue was, no doubt, the formation
of the seven Federal districts. Fedorov compared the federal
districts' system with the republics of the USSR to suggest
that Russia just might be in for the Soviet Union's fate. He
said the districts were synthetic political entities with no
legislative basis to speak of. Still, things are being changed
to fir the new system in all regions. One outcome is the
disintegration of regional associations.
To prove the point, Fedorov cited the example of
state-owned media that provide information by federal district,
rather than by region.
In Fedorov's opinion, the formation of the institute of
plenipotentiary envoys is but one more step on the road of
buttressing the Russian bureaucracy, because their functions
boil down to control over the compliance of regional laws to
the federal legislation - for want of realistic powers.
Nevertheless, the conferees concluded that Russia would be
even worse off if the reforms were stopped halfway. Meanwhile,
completing what has been started is impossible without a single
controllable information space. Certain steps in this direction
are known to have been made: suffice it to remember the
president's recent decree according to which the heads of all
regional broadcasting companies are appointed by Moscow without
the Governor's goahead.
But the conferees disagreed on whether this kind of
information 'egalitarianism' would infringe on the freedom of
speech. To quote Boris Reznik, chairman of the Duma committee
for information policy, the vision of the information security
doctrine that makes all media subject to 'state monitoring' is
very erroneous. He said that all rumors to the contrary
notwithstanding, the Russian media still enjoy the freedom of
speech. On the other hand, he noted that the freedom that the
current law on the media provides to the mass media has
generated their 'engagement and venality,' as well as reduced
their responsibility for the materials they carry.
The law thus must be amended to bring it in line with the
new realities.

Seattle Times
October 16, 2000
Bad booze kills, so Russia turns to taste testers
by Colin McMahon
Chicago Tribune
MOSCOW - Irina Pimkina is a professional drinker. Vodka is the house
specialty, but Pimkina also imbibes wine, beer, cognac, whiskey and other
spirits.

As laboratory chief of the Russian Center for Testing and Certification, she
has at her disposal test tubes, computers and other equipment to test a
product's authenticity. But her sense of taste is a formidable tool as well.

With Russia awash in fake beverages, some of them dangerously inferior,
Pimkina keeps busy. This year is proving a bad one for alcohol-poisoning
deaths. More than 16,000 Russians died of alcohol poisoning in the first half
of this year, according to the National Alcohol Association, up 45 percent
from last year.

The United States, which has nearly double Russia's population of 145
million, sees about 300 deaths from alcohol poisoning in an average year.
Most such deaths in Russia are from people drinking too much. But many are
traced to bad-quality spirits.

"The cases in which people die from a few sips are not so common," said
Tatyana Savluchinskaya, a colleague of Pimkina's. "Most of the time it is the
quantity that kills people. But the quality of the ethyl alcohol sometimes
does matter even in those cases."

In other words, drink a little of a bad product and you get sick. Drink a lot
of it and you could die.

Russia's distillers blame this year's higher death toll on a 40 percent rise
in taxes on alcohol.

They say that the taxes, which the alcohol lobby wants the government to cut,
force drinkers to abandon legitimate products for cheaper imitations or black
market moonshine.

Plenty of those options are available, as Pimkina can attest.

Her laboratory at the government-owned center tests thousands of products
taken from factories, warehouses and markets. It is crammed with bottles that
are numbered, cataloged by computer and separated by alcohol type. Pimkina
has more than 250 brands of vodka alone, and she figures that is only about a
quarter of what is available. Russians can buy bootleg vodka outside subway
stations, in sidewalk kiosks, from basement apartments. Sometimes the
customer knows the stuff's not genuine, sometimes not.

Wine, especially that purporting to be from the former Soviet republic of
Georgia, frequently is fake, too.

Some experts estimate that 70 percent of all Georgian wine sold in Moscow is
not what the labels claim. Luckily, though, these wines rarely kill anything
beyond a person's appetite.

The poisoning deaths offer only a glimpse into Russia's troubles with
alcohol, abuse of which is a key factor in the country's poor health and high
death rate. In the first seven months of this year, according to the Interior
Ministry, authorities uncovered more than 15,000 illegal distilleries and
levied tens of millions of dollars in fines.

UES's Chubais on Natural Gas Supplies, Investment: Comment

Moscow, Oct. 18 (Bloomberg)
-- The following are comments from Anatoly Chubais, the chief executive
of RAO Unified Energy Systems, on the fuel and energy industry in Russia and
the electricity industry's fuel and investment needs.

Chubais spoke before the lower house of parliament, during hearings on
energy.

``The volume of gas deliveries (in) absolute volumes is falling. Talk about
the fact that in the West there is a fall in the use of gas, isn't correct.
Can we expect that the share of gas in Russia will grow -- probably not. But
also to say we are reducing gas and going back to coal, understanding
enormous problems with technology and investment . . . I wouldn't agree to
this. The tendency in the world is exactly the opposite. And why --because of
our natural gas.

``Where is the problem then -- of course in price. Why should Gazprom be
blamed in this tendency if on the border of Ukraine and Russia the price is
$45 or $60, further $80 to $90 and we are buying gas from Gazprom at $14 per
1,000 cubic meters. It is Gazprom's fault, it is a matter of government's
policy in this sphere, someone will have to make this their responsibility.

``Members of this audience understand what it means to increase gas prices,
increase electricity rates, for the whole industry, agriculture -- but that
is the decision we have to make and I think the sooner the better.

``It is OK to discuss the 20-year perspective and how much gas deliveries we
will have in 20 years, but ask anyone today what will be gas deliveries in
November from Gazprom to RAO UES. There is not a single person in this
country who knows the answer to this question. Gazprom doesn't know.

``We have absolutely different figures. I have an official letter from
Vyakhirev . . . saying they will reduce deliveries in 2001 95 billion cubic
meters of gas . . . that means I will have to turn electricity off to a third
of the country. Is this a joke? I don't know. The Fuel and Energy Ministry
doesn't know, the government doesn't know, the president doesn't know.

``That is why we need to take this situation in the next two to three years
under firm government control. This year, we increased the use of coal by 9
percent for nine months, because we understand gas is a serious state
problem. But this is the government's problem.''

``Out of all sources existing in the state today, the total volume of
investments we can make a year is about $1 billion a year. How much do we
need? At least $5 billion. Can we raise tariffs for consumers? It is not
possible with today's standard of living, salaries. From the budget? No. The
conclusion is that if we are able to think clearly we are obliged to give one
answer --private investor. There is no other way of saving the electricity
industry. This means not only private investment, but foreign private
investment.''

``At RAO UES there are no non-payments. In our company 100 percent of current
payments is in cash. We today owe 255 billion rubles ($9.2 billion) . . .
this is the size of annual revenue. How can we attract investments with such
level of debt. It is not realistic. Of course, the debts need to be settled.
Settlement of all debts is our next priority for the term of maximum year and
a half. The next problem we have is tariffs. They should be set by the
market. That is why we worked out our reorganization proposal. We are ready
to listen to suggestions, amendments, other options -but one thing we will
never agree to -- sit and wait.''

The Guardian (UK)
Russia's answer to Finnegans Wake
A movie masterpiece
By Jonathan Romney

No sound on the film festival circuit is as haunting as the clatter of seats
flipping up as person after person walks out of a screening. I've never heard
it come as thick and fast as in Cannes in 1998, when they showed the Russian
film Khroustaliov, My Car!

By all accounts, Alexei Guerman's film didn't fare well in Russia either, but
the film arrives here this week, via Paris and New York, where it won a
reputation as a misunderstood masterpiece. Misunderstood, or just
incomprehensible? There is, apparently, a coherent plot buried beneath the
manic activity.

The film is set in Moscow in 1953, against the background of the so-called
Doctors' Plot - an anti-semitic operation that spread the rumour that Jewish
doctors were conspiring to poison the Soviet high command. The hulking baldie
Yuri Glinsky, a Red Army general and brain surgeon whose chaotic household
shelters two Jewish nieces is caught up in the scandal. He ends up witnessing
Stalin's gruesome demise, which is where the title is explained (Khroustaliov
was chauffeur to Beria, chief of the secret police).

What makes Khroustaliov such a head-spinner is the frenzied style. Guerman
favours long takes and labyrinthine tracking shots but everything is an
orchestrated cataclysm, like a hellish circus. Few of the thousands of
characters stay still long enough to be identified. The film is a succession
of chases, pratfalls and punch-ups; characters mutter to themselves or burst
into song or screams; dogs, pigs, lions drown out the dialogue.

Russian cinema has its tradition of period reconstruction, but nothing quite
like this. Guerman's previous film My Friend Ivan Lapshin (1982) was set just
before the Stalinist purges of the 1930s. Its follow-up is a very personal
project: Guerman has compared General Glinsky to his own father, a prominent
Soviet writer. He actually began work on the film in the last days of the
Soviet Union, but the production stretched over seven years, with funds
continually running out and a year reputedly spent assembling the many
ominous black cars that drive around Moscow in the film's night scenes.

It is a wonder the film was ever completed. It has been called impenetrable
but it has its spaces and silence too - and the very first shot, as a dog
chases a motorcycle down a snow-covered boulevard at night, is one of the
most haunting images of recent cinema. Khroustaliov, My Car! resembles
nothing else in cinema - although if Fellini, Tarkovsky and Tati had pooled
resources to update a Gogol story, they might have matched it.

Of Freaks and Men, Alexei Balabanov's black comedy of fin de siècle porn in
St Petersburg, was recently a cult hit here, which proves that British
audiences are ready for the darker end of the Russian cinematic imagination.
Guerman's film, however, may be Russian cinema's answer to Finnegans Wake.
This month's screenings, courtesy of the micro-distributor Kino Kino!, could
be the only chance you get to see it. And don't worry about the sound of the
seats flipping - it all blends in marvellously with the cacophony.

Khoustaliov, My Car! is at the Ciné Lumière, London SW7 (020-7838 2144) , on
Thursday; at the ICA, London SW1 (020-7930 3647), on Monday; and at the
Filmhouse, Edinburgh (0131-228 2688), on October 30.