October, 13 1999
This Date's Issues: 4577

1. Reuters: IMF surprised at U.S. presidential debate remarks.
2. BBC Monitoring: Russian Audit Chamber says Bush Jnr's accusations
re IMF money are justified.

3. RIA: Over one-third of Russians live in poverty - minister.
4. Edward Lucas: personal thoughts about Putin.
5. Business Week: Persuading Russia's Bullies to Play Fair.
The country's securities czar discusses his plans for real reform.

6. Peter Ekman: The Prophet Boris.
7. RFE/RL: Putin Failing To Stop 'Theft Of Russia'. (Vladimir
Brovkin)

8. St. Petersburg Times EDITORIAL: Physics Prize Winner Sets a Fine
Example.

9. Moscow Times: Alla Startseva, Gref Pledges PSA Reforms And
Membership in WTO.

10. Stanislav Menshikov: NEOLIBERAL UTOPIAS IN BOSTON And Strong
Realism in Helsinki.

11. Stratfor.com: Fourth Quarter 2000 ­ Bracing for Crisis.
12. Bloomberg: Russia Sells Arms to Iran, Breaking Secret US
Pact, NYT Says.

13. Nezavisimaya Gazeta - Stsenarii: Oleg Dobrocheyev, Advice to
Political Innovators II. A CAR MAY GO FOR AS LITTLE AS 1,000 ROUBLES
IN 2001 This Is Realistic, If the Government Makes Good Use Of
Current Financial, Economic Stability.

14. Wall Street Journal: Alan Cullison, Russia's Case Against
Aluminum Baron Raises Speculation of a KGB Frame Up.
15. Reuters: Russian media boss invites investigators to Israel.]

IMF surprised at U.S. presidential debate remarks
By Mark Egan

WASHINGTON, Oct 12 (Reuters) - The IMF on Thursday welcomed calls for reform
from both leading U.S. presidential candidates, but said it had no evidence
to back claims by Texas Gov. George W. Bush that its funds were embezzled by
former Russian Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin.

Bush, the Republican presidential nominee, and his Democratic rival, Vice
President Al Gore, both urged reform of the International Monetary Fund
during their televised debate on Wednesday night.

"We were perhaps somewhat impressed with the amount of attention that was
received last night," chief IMF spokesman Tom Dawson told reporters at a
regular weekly news briefing.

But Dawson said the IMF had no evidence that Bush's claim had any merit.

"With regard to the possible misuse of funds in Russia, we do take seriously
all allegations and examine them," Dawson said, before adding, "We are not
aware of (any evidence to support) this particular allegation."

During the debate, both Bush and Gore advocated reforms at the IMF to ensure
its money ends up in the right hands.

Bush, going further than Gore, singled out controversial loans in 1998 to
prop up Russia's ailing economy, saying part of the $4.8 billion, "ended up
in Viktor Chernomyrdin's pockets."

DAMAGED RUSSIAN REPUTATION

Chernomyrdin responded on Thursday, saying he would sue Bush. Chernomyrdin,
who had been out of office for several months by the time the money reached
Moscow, said Bush's remarks were damaging to his reputation.

"It was strange to hear such statements from a politician running for high
office. Making responsible statements is a vital trait for a statesman in a
democratic society," Chernomyrdin, now a member of parliament, said in a
statement.

"It's a shame that Mr. Bush Jr. was brought up in another tradition. I think
Mr. Bush Jr. should be getting ready for a court hearing on the issue," he
said.

The Bush campaign on Thursday stood by the governor's statements, saying
Chernomyrdin had "made a fortune in personal profits" in the Russian oil and
gas business while he was a minister of oil and gas and then as prime
minister.

"The Russian oil and gas industry benefited greatly from foreign aid,
including aid from the IMF," campaign spokesman Ray Sullivan said.

International officials are investigating whether any of the $4.8 billion of
IMF loans for Russia was diverted via Swiss bank accounts. The IMF has
repeatedly denied that any of the money it lent to help shore up Russia's
ailing ruble in 1998 was misappropriated.

It has also mandated stringent audits for future flows of cash to Russia,
aimed at ensuring no repeat of the same allegations in the future.

Dawson characterized the calls for reform as, "quite appropriate," noting
that the IMF is actively tackling the issues raised by the candidates.

The international lender, based in Washington and funded by more than 180
member nations, has had a tough year. It has been verbally attacked by myriad
groups who argue the fund's harsh economic policies harm the poor and protect
huge, multinational companies.

More comfortable with a low-key profile, the IMF has found itself
uncomfortably in the spotlight as thousands of protesters rallied on the
fringes of its meeting in Washington in April and in September at its annual
meeting in Prague.

BBC Monitoring
Russian Audit Chamber says Bush Jnr's accusations re IMF money are justified
Source: Ekho Moskvy news agency, Moscow, in Russian 1120 gmt 12 Oct 00

[No dateline as received] Yuriy Boldyrev, deputy chairman of the Russian
Audit Chamber, described as "absolutely justified" accusations by George Bush
Jnr against [ex-premier] Viktor Chernomyrdin and other Russian officials that
IMF loans were used not according to purpose.

Speaking on Ekho Moskvy radio, Boldyrev said:

"Accusations that the executive power system used the money provided
illegally and not according to purpose are founded, and probably the money
was stolen".

He said the Audit Chamber's information was that "the losses from
misappropriation of budget money and the irrational and senseless use of
budget money considerably outweigh the volume of credit in recent times."

He said that after a loan worth 4.8bn dollars was received in 1998, the
Central Bank allocated 3.5 bn dollars to certain Russian commercial banks to
change into roubles. Moreover, this happened just before Russia defaulted on
its debts, and at an exchange rate where 1 US dollar equalled R6. He added
that in 1995 some 9 bn dollars were taken from the budget via the National
Sports Fund and other sporting organizations.

"As for precisely which pockets the money reached, that is a matter that is
revealed not by the means of the Audit Chamber but by the means of the
Prosecutor's Office, the secret services and the FSS", Boldyrev said. The
Audit Chamber does not have the necessary mechanisms to check.

Over one-third of Russians live in poverty - minister
Russian news agency RIA

Moscow, 13th October: Over one-third of Russians (36.7 per cent) have incomes
below living wage, Russian Minister of Labour and Social Development
Aleksandr Pochinok told the State Duma today.

At present the monthly minimum wage in Russia is fixed at R132, he said. It
will be raised to R200 from 1st January 2001 and to R300 from 1st June 2001.
The government plans to increase public sector wages 4.2-fold within the next
10 years.

The average pension in Russia increased by 39 per cent in 2000, Pochinok
said. The government plans to increase it again by 30 per cent in the next
year. The task is that the average pension make 140 per cent of living wage,
he said.

Pochinok said that about 200 groups of citizens, or 103m people, are entitled
to various social benefits. "The law obliges us to help these people but we
cannot do this due to the lack of finance," he said. He reminded that R70bn
from the year-2001 federal budget are allocated to paying benefits to
disabled people and families having children.