October 8, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4568  4569

DJ: This Sunday's query: What do you most value about JRL?
1. New York Times: Patrick Tyler, How Yeltsin Nearly Scuttled Democracy
in Russia.

2. Reuters: Ron Popeski, Yeltsin shows new book,says Chechnya big burden.
3. Itar-Tass: RUSSIA'S YELTSIN DEVOTES BOOK TO THE PEOPLE WHO BUILT NEW
RUSSIA.

4. The Russia Journal: Andrei Piontkovsky, There, far to the north, in
Paris. Musings on Pushkin’s poetry, Gaudi’s spires and the distant glimmer
of a Europe idealized in the Russian imagination.

5. The Straits Times: John Helmer, WHAT DID THE KREMLIN DO IN BELGRADE --
CAVE IN, OR DIG IN?

6. Ira Straus: India-Russia-America: the quiet emergence of a new
strategic triangle.

7. Albert Weeks: Hand sign in Belgrade.
8. New York Times Book Review: Robert Kaplan, Who Lost Russia?
Two books look at what has happened since the end of the cold war.
(Stephen Cohen's FAILED CRUSADE: America and the Tragedy of Post-Communist
Russia and Chrystia Freeland's SALE OF THE CENTURY: Russia's Wild Ride
>From Communism to Capitalism)

9. AFP: Building boom grips Moscow.
10. Washington Post: Jim Hoagland, Bush and Putin Also Lose.
11. AFP: Moscow could prove key Kostunica ally over Kosovo.
12. Reuters: US investors welcome rebound, still wary on Russia.]

New York Times
October 8, 2000
[for personal use only]
How Yeltsin Nearly Scuttled Democracy in Russia
By PATRICK E. TYLER
MOSCOW, Oct. 7 - In a new memoir, former President Boris N. Yeltsin of Russia
says that he had all but decided in 1996 to upend the democratic process in
Russia by banning the Communist Party, dissolving Parliament and postponing
presidential elections he seemed certain at the time to lose.

With his approval rating bottomed out at 3 percent, the Russian leader says,
he came to the conclusion that he was not "able to manage the crisis within
the framework of the current Constitution" and though he knew he would "pay a
heavy price in credibility," he ordered decrees drafted that would have
effectively turned his rule into a dictatorship.

In doing so, he recounts, "I would fix one of the main problems I'd had since
the beginning of my presidential term," namely that "the Communist Party
would be finished forever in Russia." He credits his daughter, Tatyana B.
Dyachenko, and former Deputy Prime Minister Anatoly B. Chubais for convincing
him that shredding the Constitution with an illegal grab for power would
backfire. "Finally, I reversed a decision I had almost already made," he
writes, and "became ashamed before those who believed in me."

Mr. Yeltsin's memoir is likely to rekindle the debate about his contribution
to the democratic process in Russia after the Soviet breakup in 1991 that he
helped to engineer. The book includes a number of frank disclosures,
including a confession of his weakness for alcohol.

There are some significant omissions in the book. While Mr. Yeltsin discusses
his role in supporting military assaults on rebellious Chechnya in 1994 and
again in 1999, the book contains only a cursory discussion of the origins of
the conflict, in which Mr. Yeltsin fails to engage those critics who argue
that he missed chances to avert through negotiation the civil war that has
cost tens of thousands of lives and has displaced hundreds of thousands of
people.

Mr. Yeltsin pays scant heed to the rampant corruption and crony capitalism
that marked his rule. He blames corruption on the low pay of Russian
bureaucrats managing multimillion-dollar industries, and on the ingrained
habit of "paying under the table."

As for the corruption investigation that has come closest to his family,
involving the Swiss construction company Mabatex, which is engaged in the
renovation of the Kremlin, Mr. Yeltsin says that neither he nor any member of
his family has taken kickbacks. He lists his assets at a little more than
$300,000 in cash, plus an apartment and a country house on 10 acres outside
Moscow.

Though Mr. Yeltsin does not describe himself as an alcoholic, he confesses in
the book to a compulsion to drink when under pressure, a compulsion he says
he overcame to a great extent after his heart attack and by-pass operation in
1996.

"Fairly early on I concluded that alcohol was the only means quickly to get
rid of stress," he says, recounting an embarrassing episode in 1994, when
during a visit to Berlin, a tipsy Yeltsin tried to conduct a military
orchestra.

The 400-page book, "Midnight Diaries," is being published this month by
PublicAffairs. Excerpts will appear in Newsweek magazine, and the Russian
journal Argumenty i Fakty has already published a lengthy extract.

Mr. Yeltsin writes that he determined as early as March 1999 that the best
candidate to succeed him was a little-known former K.G.B. officer, Vladimir
V. Putin, who at that time was running Russia's Federal Security Service.

Still, Mr. Yeltsin writes, he appointed Sergei V. Stepashin as a "decoy"
prime minister for three months because Mr. Yeltsin feared that the departing
prime minister, Yevgeny M. Primakov, who disliked Mr. Putin, would mount a
campaign to undermine him. If true, this maneuver is typical of the wile that
Mr. Yeltsin often displayed in staying on top of Russia's power politics.

Mr. Primakov , also a former intelligence chief, "had tremendous political
reserves," Mr. Yeltsin says, "but his rule threatened to roll back reforms,
collapse the embryonic economic freedoms, and trample the democratic
liberties that we had managed to nurture and preserve in these past few
years."

He described Mr. Primakov as an "old Soviet type" who kept a "special file"
on journalists and other critics. "Every clipping was carefully underlined
with colored pencils," Mr. Yeltsin recounts. "I couldn't believe my eyes," he
adds, saying Mr. Primakov had "too much red in his political palette," who
could not read the newspaper without suspecting "complicated intrigues,
subtexts or threats from his political opponents."

Mr. Yeltsin says he realized that Russia needed a younger face — Mr.
Putin is
48 — while playing a computer game with his grandson Borya. "I know that
youth is not a panacea," he said, for "there are 40-year-olds with
totalitarian natures," but youth was an essential criterion in choosing Mr.
Putin.

Mr. Putin's star rose in Mr. Yeltsin's eyes not only because he was willing
to go on the attack in Chechnya but also because he was willing to circumvent
the law when his mentor, the former St. Petersburg mayor, Anatoly Sobchak,
was under criminal investigation in 1998. Mr. Putin considered the case
against Mr. Sobchak politically motivated.

"Using his connections in St. Petersburg, Putin made a deal with a private
airline and brought Sobchak out to Finland. From there, Sobchak made his way
to Paris," where he lived until Mr. Putin's rise made it possible for him to
return to Russia last year. He died in February.

Mr. Putin's covert operation to smuggle the ailing Mr. Sobchak out of the
country was of questionable legality and was done without Mr. Yeltsin's
knowledge or approval, but "when I learned what Putin had done, I felt a
profound sense of respect and gratitude toward him," Mr. Yeltsin says.

The first decree issued by Mr. Putin after his stunning appointment last Dec.
31 as acting president guaranteed Mr. Yeltsin immunity from prosecution after
he left office.

Yeltsin shows new book,says Chechnya big burden
By Ron Popeski

MOSCOW, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin presented
his third book on Saturday and told a television interviewer he saw the lives
lost in war in Chechnya as the biggest responsibility he had to bear.

Yeltsin flashed a big smile as unveiled the book, entitled ``Presidential
Marathon'' in Russian, at a glittering reception and warned friends,
government officials and top industrialists they would find interesting
reading but no startling surprises.

Excerpts of the book, outlining his career from re-election in 1996 until his
surprise New Year's Eve resignation, have appeared in some Russian dailies,
particularly a description of his emotions as he stepped down.

In his interview, Yeltsin said he could not shake off responsibility for the
Chechnya campaigns. He also said his decision to quit had since been
vindicated, spoke of close ties with the leaders of Germany and Japan and of
his distaste for his long-time rival, former Soviet President Mikhail
Gorbachev.

``I cannot shirk responsibility for Chechnya. I cannot shake off the guilt
for the grief of so many mothers and fathers,'' he told ORT public
television.

But Russia, he said, had to act against Chechen separatists. Russia withdrew
from Chechnya after a 1994-96 war and launched a new offensive against the
rebels just over a year ago, when Yeltsin was still in office.

``No,'' he said when asked whether there had been any alternative.
``Nevertheless, I was the one who took the decision and therefore I am
responsible for it.''

DECISION TO QUIT WAS CORRECT

Yeltsin, who spoke slowly and looked tired during his interview, said he had
resigned to protect Russia's interests. He said he had had faith in Vladimir
Putin, his chosen successor, and that his decision had been proved right
later.

``It was difficult to take such a situation. After all, what was I to do
next? I couldn't possibly be idle,'' he said. ``I took the step strictly in
the interests of Russia. The president had to be changed. I had to leave
office at the right time.''

The decision, he said, had been correct ``without question.''

``I knew Vladimir Vladimirovich (Putin) well enough to put forward his
candidature. Now I know him even better to be certain that the decision was
the proper one.''

Yeltsin did not always agree with decisions taken by Putin, but had resisted
the temptation to confront him or offer advice.

``Such thoughts do come into my head sometimes,'' he said. ``But I have never
got the urge to pick up the phone.''

In presenting the book, to be unveiled internationally at the Frankfurt book
fair later this month, Yeltsin said readers might still find some ``rather
hot'' material.

He said the book underscored what there was to be proud of in 10 years of
post-communist development, including the entrenchment of freedoms and moves
towards the market economy.

Yeltsin told ORT he had never been come under pressure from the ``oligarchs''
-- industrialists who made quick fortunes in the aftermath of the collapse of
Soviet rule and operated in close contact with the Kremlin.

``None of the oligarchs exerted any influence,'' he said. ``Nor did anyone
dare to do so. Whoever would have done so would have got such a rebuff that
he would know better than try again.''

He said his daughter, Tatyana Dyachenko, seen by critics as having undue
influence over his administration, had also never been given the chance to
exert pressure.

``I told her never to put pressure on me in any way as it was pointless,'' he
said.

DISTASTE FOR GORBACHEV

Yeltsin acknowledged that Gorbachev, who repeatedly clashed with him before
being forced to resign on Christmas Day 1991, had played a major role.

``However much he was criticised, he was still monumental,'' he said. ``This
should not be forgotten, even if you criticise him and don't like him. And I
don't like him.''

Yeltsin recalled his foreign contacts fondly, particularly his personal
relationship with former Japanese Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto and former
German Chancellor Helmut Kohl.

He described Kohl's censure by his own Christian Democrat Party over a
funding scandal as ``unfair'' and said he admired U.S. President Bill Clinton
despite the scandals he endured.

He said he learned of the impending uproar over Clinton's relationship with
White House intern Monica Lewinsky before it was made public but had chosen
not to warn the U.S. President.

RUSSIA'S YELTSIN DEVOTES BOOK TO THE PEOPLE WHO BUILT NEW RUSSIA
ITAR-TASS

Moscow, 7th October: Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin said his book,
`The Presidential Marathon', is about the people who helped build a new
Russia during the 10 years when he was in power.

"The most important achievement is that we did not deviate from democracy
and freedom, and for this we should give credit to all Russian people. I
tried to describe this in the book," he said on Saturday [7th October].

"This not a sensational book," he said, adding that "if you leaf through
it, you will not find anything hot."

Yeltsin said he feels proud that he lives in Russia "where the country can
be changed so dramatically in 10 years".

Speaking of his feelings in connection with the publication of his book,
Yeltsin said, "Both joy because I managed to write and publish it this
year" and "the author's excitement" and "pride because many people have
already shown interest in this book".

He said that the publication of the book in other countries will begin a
week after its presentation in Russia.

The presentation involved many of those with whom Yeltsin worked closely
during his presidency, including former presidential chiefs of staff
Anatoliy Chubays and Valentin Yumashev, representatives of the present
Kremlin team - first presidential deputy chief of staff Dmitriy Medvedev
and presidential deputy chief of staff Sergey Prikhodko -- and members of
the government -- Defence Minister Igor Sergeyev, Minister of Railways
Nikolay Aksyonenko, Chief of the General Staff Army General Anatoliy
Kvashnin, Mass Media Minister [Minister for Press, TV and Radio
Broadcasting and Mass Communications],Mikhail Lesin -- and other prominent
politicians, cultural figures and journalists.

All adult members of Yeltsin's family were also present. They listened to
his presentation with excitement and joyful smiles.

The Russia Journal
October 7-13, 2000
SEASON OF DISCONTENT: There, far to the north, in Paris
By Andrei Piontkovsky
Musings on Pushkin’s poetry, Gaudi’s spires and the distant glimmer of a
Europe idealized in the Russian imagination.

There is, in Alexander Pushkin’s Don Juan, a truly amazing line. One of the
characters, Laura, it seems, begins a reply with the words: "There, far to
the north, in Paris…." It would often come to my mind, like one of Mozart’s
melodies, in minutes of joy or sadness. And not just because it has such a
musical ring in Russian. I was always convinced that Pushkin meant in his
words more than just the place where his tragedy took place. He gave his
words their own secret meaning and an intensely heady breath of freedom.

The freedom contained in those words was to be far more of a threat in the
eyes of the gendarmes from the Third Department (the political police of
the time) than Pushkin’s openly rebellious line "For You and Your throne, I
feel hate."

Tyrants love to be hated. It makes them feel important and gives them an
excuse to swell the ranks of their beloved secret services and special
representations. Tyrants can’t bear to be ignored. In the ice-cold St.
Petersburg of Tsar Nicholas I, to write "There, far to the north, in
Paris," signified the absolute freedom of this European genius and his
escape from the walls of his imperial prison.

Like generations of Russians before and after him, including my own
generation, Pushkin was not allowed to travel abroad. Our isolation from
the West seemed so utterly complete and bleakly eternal that sometimes
Europe seemed to us a virtual reality ­ existing only in books ­ and that
the waves of the Atlantic Ocean broke on the shores of Belarus. Being so
cut off from this other world, we knew and loved its Martian civilization
perhaps more than the natives themselves.

Several decades passed, which saw me outlive goodness knows how many
general secretaries and presidents. And then I unexpectedly found myself on
the streets of Barcelona, where once a young English idealist and member of
the international brigades, Eric Blair, became George Orwell and went on to
deal communism a mortal blow with his great books. (Don’t confuse him with
Tony Blair, who will never become Orwell.)

It always amazed me how this Englishman, who had never set foot in the
Soviet Union and had seen only how the local Spanish communists, helped by
their Soviet comrades, crushed their political opponents in Barcelona,
could reproduce and transmit in such faithful and familiar detail the
spirit and day-to-day life of our era.

But, finding myself in Barcelona, it wasn’t George Orwell who interested me
this time as much as Antonio Gaudi, the man who ignored the laws of
gravity. Gaudi overturned these laws with his famous mirror models, and his
flower-buildings, turning their facades skywards to the sun.

Standing on the sun-bathed Placa de Gaudi, I also raised my face skywards
so as to take in better the Sagrada Familia Cathedral and thought:

There, far to the north, in Paris
Clouds perhaps darken the skies
Cold rain falls and the wind howls
But what concern is it of ours?

Only, why did they decide to finish building the cathedral? Left by the
Master in its unfinished state, it breathed the spirit of his time, of his
immortality, his agonies of creation and his heroic defeat. Isn’t the life
of each of us, after all, like a rough text, left unfinished and torn off
halfway through a word.

(Andrei Piontkovsky is director of the Center of Strategic Research.)