October 5, 2000
This Date's Issues: 4560  4561  4562

1. Reuters: Backers of Russia's Mir say systems still go.
2. The Onion: Russia's Closest Friends Ready to Try Military
Intervention.

3. Reuters: Pet-loving Russians promote neutering to curb strays.
4. Jonas Bernstein: re Kotkin on Berezovsky/4558.
5. Gleb Pavlovsky: Our Information Doctrine: Excerpts.
6. David Rowell: Russian Visitor Exchange Program Flaws.
7. Robert Bruce Ware: re Zuckerman JRL 4556.
8. Segodnya: THE STATE MUST NOT KEEP ALOOF. Since summer, experts
have been pointing to a slowing down of Russian economic growth.
What is the reason behind and what can be done to buck the trend
is described by Yevgeny YASIN. (Interview)

9. Jamestown Foundation Monitor: DIFFERENCES ON RUSSIAN BUDGET
REMAIN UNRESOLVED. (military)

10. Reuters: Russian PM asks businessmen for advice.]

Backers of Russia's Mir say systems still go
October 4, 2000
By Karl Emerick Hanuska

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Despite ominous warnings from Moscow that their tourist
space attraction may soon crash to Earth, Western investors who want to
launch James Cameron to space station Mir say all systems are still go.

The director of the film ``Titanic,'' who has said he is prepared to buy a
ticket to space to fulfill a lifelong dream, is only one of the customers who
will be disappointed if Russia allows its aging Mir orbiter to turn into a
fireball.

Another is America's NBC television, which has announced plans to blast a
winning game show contestant into orbit during the 2000-2001 TV season as
part of a true-life show dreamed up by the producer of the mega-hit
``Survivor.''

But Wednesday, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexei Kudrin said Moscow had to
focus its meager space budget on the International Space Station and stop
spending money on Mir.

``One rouble invested in the International Space Station (ISS) gives us more
in terms of scientific research than a rouble invested in Mir,'' he told a
news conference. ``We have to pay more attention to the station which has
better prospects.''

The ISS is being constructed by a 17-nation consortium led NASA of the United
States and including Russia, Canada, Japan, Brazil and member countries of
the European Space Agency.

Kudrin's comments came a day after Deputy Prime Minister Ilya Klebanov said a
committee of designers had recommended ditching Mir because it had outlived
its effective lifespan.

BLACK HOLE?

Mir's demise would blast a big black hole into MirCorp, a joint venture led
by Western investors who bought the rights to sell tickets to the public to
fly to the Russian station.

The company said it was unfazed by the comments.

``The long-term business prospects for Mir are extremely positive,'' it said
in a statement.

Jeff Lenorovitz, a MirCorp spokesman in Washington, said Russia had no need
to choose between Mir and the International Space Station, since MirCorp was
already paying Mir's bills.

He said the company had already raised $40 million to keep Mir aloft, paying
for two space flight since February. He added that MirCorp got the go ahead
this week to launch a third space flight on Oct. 16 to send up more supplies.

``MirCorp is pulling together investors to cover the cost of operations into
next year. In the next week or two, we will be meeting with the Russian
government people to make sure they understand that,'' he said.

The company plans to charge about $20 million to space tourists -- it calls
them ``citizen explorers'' -- for a week-long trip. One American millionaire
space buff is already training at the Star City base near Moscow.

WEAR AND TEAR

Mir has been in orbit for more than 14 years, nearly three times what Soviet
designers planned for it. It has lately suffered some embarrassing glitches,
including a fire and a crash with a supply ship while U.S. NASA astronauts
were aboard.

But MirCorp still touts Russia's space program's safety record, saying it has
had no fatalities in more than 25 years.

Klebanov said the committee's recommendation to ditch Mir was made several
days ago, but the national space authority had yet to make a final decision.

Moscow has already dropped an earlier decision to scrap Mir.

Energiya, the Russian company which runs Mir and owns part of MirCorp, said
Wednesday the station could stay up a few more years, but needed government
cash.

Itar-Tass news agency quoted Energiya officials as saying that unless the
government found money for Mir, it risked causing ``a calamity that would be
impossible to counteract.''

Mir's ``uncontrollable crash to Earth would have unpredictable catastrophic
results,'' they warned.

Mir has given the Russians by far the world's deepest experience in
long-duration manned space flight, expertise that is being used in the $60
billion International Space Station.

In July, Russia launched the ISS living quarters -- basically an updated Mir.
But its launch was two years late, and Washington blamed the delay on Russian
reluctance to scrap Mir.

The Onion
www.theonion.com
October 4, 2000
Russia's Closest Friends Ready to Try Military Intervention

MOSCOW--Concerned about its rising crime rate, mounting debt, and
out-of-control alcoholism, Russia's closest allies are preparing to step in
and stage a military intervention on the troubled nation's behalf.
"Russia is a very, very important country to all of us, and we can't
just sit by and watch it destroy itself like this," German chancellor Gerhard
Schröder said. "It's time we stepped in."
"We've talked and talked to them for years now, desperately trying to
get them to change their self-destructive ways, but nothing we've said has
gotten through," British prime minister Tony Blair said. "At this point, I
don't think we have any choice but to brew up a pot of coffee, bring in some
armored divisions, and force Russia to deal with its problems."
The intervention, which will be led by Germany and include the U.S.,
France, England, Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic, will most likely
occur next week, before the harsh Russian winter makes acts of caring
difficult for armored vehicles and infantrymen. The intervention's primary
objective will be to communicate to Russia, through kind but firm military
means, how much it means to the European community, how its problems have
been affecting its neighbors, and what its allies want their relationship to
be like in the future.
"I really don't think Russia understands how much it hurts my country
when it does some of the things it does," Polish president Aleksander
Kwasniewski said. "It withholds not only affection and attention, but vast
oil and mineral reserves. There was a time when Russia was there for us with
foreign aid. We could turn to them for emotional and military support. No
more."
"I'm not surprised, though," Kwasniewski continued. "I mean, these last
few years, Russia's been letting itself go to hell internally--roads,
bridges, the power grid, you name it. How can you take care of others when
you can't even take care of yourself?"
Much of the frustration felt by Russia's allies stems from the nation's
inability to be self-reliant despite its age, its incredible potential, and
the tremendous amount of help it has received over the years.
"I've given Russia something like $8.5 billion in foreign aid and
international-relief loans since 1995," President Clinton said. "And what do
they do when they get all that money? They devalue the ruble, close up the
banks, and then turn around and ask Germany for a few billion more. Where
does it all go?"
"Let's just say I have my suspicions," added Clinton, making a drinking
motion with his hand.
"Funny how Russia always manages to scrounge up a few bucks when they
want to roll into Chechnya and raise a little hell," French president Jacques
Chirac said. "Well, I'm not helping them pay for that stuff anymore. And if I
have to get together with the boys and go over there myself to put a stop to
it, I will."
Organizers of the military intervention say they expect Russia to put
up resistance when massed troops appear on its doorstep. They are confident,
however, that Russia will eventually come to realize that the intervention is
for its own good.
"I can already hear what Russia's going to say," Schröder said. "It's
going to be like, 'Hey, I'm making strides. I'm doing better. I took down
that wall, I did the whole glasnost and perestroika thing, I even have my own
space station. What do you want from me?' It isn't going to be easy."
"We'll just have to use tough love," Schröder added, "and a lot of the
T-72 tanks Russia left lying around when it moved out of our place."
Russia's friends are aware that history is not on their side. In recent
centuries, numerous interventions have failed to work on the proud, stubborn
nation. But despite the poor track record, its friends are confident.
"Yes, many people have gone in there without success," Blair said. "You
have to realize, though, that people like Napoleon and Hitler probably didn't
have Russia's best interests at heart when they went barging in. If we show
Russia that we're doing this because we care, and we can avoid getting bogged
down in a winter land campaign, I think we've got a really good shot at
winning the country over."
"In this kind of intervention, you never know what's going to happen,"
Clinton said. "Believe it or not, sometimes when the subject recognizes that
you are doing it out of genuine concern and have all of NATO on your side,
they agree to change their ways instantly."
"But if that doesn't happen--and we certainly have reason to believe
that a big, independent, historically cold country like Russia will try to
fight us--we're more than ready for it," Clinton continued. "Russia is
dangerous to itself and others right now. If a full-scale military occupation
is what it takes to save Russia from itself, that's what we're going to do."

Pet-loving Russians promote neutering to curb strays

MOSCOW, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Russians love their animals, too.

Activists of Russia's tiny animal rights movement marked International Animal
Rights Day on Wednesday by calling on the government to outlaw the killing of
homeless cats and dogs, promoting instead sterilisation to curb the stray
population.

``Animals are being treated badly here. I'm here because I want them to live
longer,'' said Maya, a 17-year-old student and one of about 40 protesters
gathered in Moscow's traditional meeting place of Pushkin Square.

Demonstrators ranging from students and housewives to full-time activists
held aloft banners telling owners to be good to their cats and dogs.

``Sterilisation instead of murder,'' read one placard.

Many demonstrators sported T-shirts with animal rights slogans. Schoolgirls
wore fake animal ears.

Activists say sterilisation is cheaper and more humane than rounding up and
killing packs of dogs roaming Moscow streets. They said more than 21,000
animals were destroyed last year.

Organiser Irina Arturmenkova said protesters hoped to persuade authorities to
stage a referendum on the issue.

``This day of demonstration is happening in many countries today, but here we
are obviously dealing with the particular problems for animals in Moscow and
Russia,'' she said. ``In principle, sterilisation programme is the main
thing.''

Russians are serious pet owners, with a wide variety of exotic breeds
frequently spotted in Moscow streets. Guard dogs are sought after by wealthy
Russians.

In December last year, the government passed an animal rights bill explicitly
prohibiting people from eating pets.

Pet owners were also required to prevent unwanted offspring by sterilising
their pets or providing contraceptives, practices less common in Russia than
in most Western countries.